myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Proper paint for a techno 283

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ray123

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Proper paint for a techno 283 Reply with quote

Hey All,
I recently repaired the nose of my techno 283 with marine-tex. Has anyone found the right color and type of paint to match the blue of the techno 283. Thanks to all.
gemoore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: RE: Proper paint for a techno 283 Reply with quote

I would take a different approach, since you will have a very hard time unless you take it to someone who makes a living as a car / boat / board painter. Even then, most of them are close but not perfect.

Alternative plan would be to make a decorative stripe of a different color, symmetrically, and live with that. Its not like youre ever going be able to hide the fact that it was damaged. This paint job is for your tastes only.
Windlover

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: RE: Proper paint for a techno 283 Reply with quote

Another option would be to get a good close up picture of the blue section and then have a paint store computer match the color in the picture. The better the camera/film, the better chance you have of matching.
prev1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: RE: Proper paint for a techno 283 Reply with quote

My brother owns a body shop. He told me to take the board to the auto paint supply store where they would scan it just like stores do for house paint. Of course, then you need to apply it! Otherwise, get spray paint from the store as close as you can to the original color.
lramin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: RE: Proper paint for a techno 283 Reply with quote

I am new to the sport, but not to painting...If you just have to have it original..take the board to the auto paint supply store where they would scan it just like stores do for house paint, get a QUALITY tape and tape it off following the paint scheme, wet sand area to be painted, use painters cleaning alcohol(denatured) clean very good, then paint, let dry and then clear coat,then buff till your arms fall off! The paint store rep should be able to help you out even more if need be......But I think now would be a perfect time for you to customize it. Sand the whole board down, and pick your own color, then choose a knice graphic for it that emulates your feelings and attitude, you can either have it embedded, or airbrushed on, then covred with clear to protect it. If you embed it, put three coats of clear on, then wet sand, and then one more coat will make it even,then buff. If you have it airbrushed, two coats of clear, then buff.
Then youve gone from a techno 283 to a RAY1.

Just an idea...Leslie
wsmike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: RE: Proper paint for a techno 283 Reply with quote

I repainted an RRD Eighty I had last year, it was bananna yellow. I found a yellow spray paint designed for plastics at the hardware store, then got some 2 masking tape, taped off the graphics, exacto bladed around the graphics, then sprayed the nose solid yellow. The shades did not match well so I ended up feathering the paint so I got a sunburst sort of gradiation from the front to the back. It looked cool when I was done, then I got the sugar coat put back on and that was that. Probably best to do some clear coats as suggested here too. Have fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: