myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
factory roof racks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhtalderson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: factory roof racks Reply with quote

are the factory installed roof racks on a 2003 ford focus wagon strong enough to carry one slalom board???
i read other postings about a chevy blazer that said factory roof racks were no good..
Windlover

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: RE: factory roof racks Reply with quote

Most factory racks will hold up to 100lbs. Check the rack for a sticker or the owners manual. The weight of one board should not be a problem. But driving does put extra force on a rack so here are a couple of tips.

First thing to do is tighten any and all screws that hold the rack to the car. Also check the cross pieces to ensure they are secure. Position racks as far apart as you can between front and rear. Then place your board bottom up with the nose pointing forward. Slide the board back so the back straps are against the back cross piece. Secure board and dont go speeding to your desitination.

This should get you there and back okay. Be sure to keep and eye on the board and check the racks again after the first 5-10 miles at highway speeds.

Drive carefully and safe sailing.
carl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: RE: factory roof racks Reply with quote

I have rented Focus wagons and put a board on top. It seemed very
sturdy (with one board), much more so than my old Chevy Blazer racks. The previous poster wanted to mount a Gorge rack to the factory racks rails and carry a stack of boards, this seemed like lunacy.
carl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: RE: factory roof racks Reply with quote

Well,,, its not just the weight. One small board is usually OK, if strapped securely. But the wind resistance at 70mph on a STACK of boards can exert tremendous upward pressure on the front of the rack. Some factory racks are held on by ONE small screw into sheet metal on the front of the rail (where the upward force will be at 70mph). My Blazer had that poorly-engineered setup. Sounds like a big gamble to me. Is a great deal for the lawyers of the poor occupants in the car behind you though, when your rack flies off.
elstaub

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: RE: factory roof racks Reply with quote

I know its a slow response, but I have a 2002 focus wagon and have driven hundreds of miles with factory racks and sometimes two boards with a quiver bag. Racks are rated for 220 lbs, but you better check you manual. No signs of problems so far, but crossed fingers going 75 into a headwind. Erik
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: