myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Great White
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsmloop2003

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: RE: Great White Reply with quote

I sail ocean city, md. and a friend of mine who fished the white marlin tournament last month told me that the talk amongst the fisherman was a big great white that had been seen offshore. and that everyone was sort of keeping it hush hush so as not to frighten the tourists.
windward1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: RE: Great White Reply with quote

If you wish to read a true story of a Great White Shark marauding the Jersey Shore back in the early 1900s, read Close to Shore. That shark even entered creeks to get victims.
pacspeed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: RE: Great White Reply with quote

Thats a good sign, dudes, a big ol fish like that cant survive without a whole mess o cod, salmon, seals, an stuff to nosh on. Could New Englands fisheries be slowly healing? Only time will tell.
Till then, Id keep windsurfing, and not do a whole lot of bodysurfing. Remember: You dont have to be faster than the shark, you just need to be faster than the next guy in the water!!!

/\__
)))*> ~~~(
Pretty lame ass sharknsailor, I know.
cdsail28

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: RE: Great White Reply with quote

check out: http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/innews/woodshole2004.html

At least one 15 footer (white shark) was tagged by scientists yesterday near woods hole. A little scary.
JRuffus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: RE: Great White Reply with quote

Ahh, I will be wearing a chuming basket to attract the big dolphin. I cant jibe, nor can bush, but john kerry gybes, so i will vote for him
dennisrodger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: RE: Great White Reply with quote

I recall an article several years ago that said there has been only one known shark attack on a moving windsurfer. I think it was in the SF bay area maybe around Santa Cruz. Guy was thrown off his moving board and the board sustained some damage. Apparently he was able to waterstart and sail in once the shark lost interest. Thatd turn a few hairs gray.
jse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: RE: Great White Reply with quote

A few years back, a windsurfer was bitten in Maui off of Kanaha by a tiger shark when he stopped outside Spartans Reef to adjust his gear. He made it in, but it was a serious bite. I also heard of a similar instance in Margarita, if Im not mistaken. The common theme is sailors adjusting their gear outside in deep shark infested water. Its recommended to make your rigging adjustments at the beach when sailing where sharks are. Something about thrashing around that attracts them. Like what you might do if you were adjusting your downhaul in deep water.

Steve
cdsail28

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: RE: Great White Reply with quote

Definately a high pucker factor on that session! Hey- if you guys think that little lake you sail on vaca w/ the fam every year is safe check this out:

http://www.bahnhof.se/~wizard/cryptoworld/index237a.html

Know the risks Wink
ray123

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: RE: Great White Reply with quote

http://www.worldzone.net/sports/stay99/sharks.htm
melpel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: RE: Great White Reply with quote

I heard this one as well from the local windsurf crowd - as this is word of word of mouth, probably somewhere between fact and fiction...

Supposedly the guy was sailing the coast around SF (thought it was near Halfmoon Bay). He went into a jibe and the board was flopping around funny. Looked down to see a shark latched on to the tail of his board. From there he paniced and jumped in to swim away... only to realize he was now in the water with that shark and too far from shore to make it in. He then swam back to his board and felt the shark brush by as he got to his gear to sailed it in.

They had a great story on the beach, then as the winds picked back up most people went back to sailing...!

... ok, thats the way I heard it anyway...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: