myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
All Honesty - The Gorge Has Been a Disappointment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobans

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you hadnt noticed, these are MYTHS about the Gorge:
1. It blows every day.
2. It blows at least 4 days a week.
3. It blows at least one day every week every July.
4. The average wind => a 4.5 sail.
5. Its no longer crowded.
6. Its swim suit time in July for the average sailor.
7. A person can catch most of the wind by sitting in ANY one spot and waiting for it to come through.
8. Driving wont double ones quality shred time.
9. The swell swamped a barge out east.
10. Celilo is always chop and never fun.
11. The wind at Swell City and The Hatch are always equal.
12. Theres not much else to do thats active, challenging, and fun.
13. This year (i.e., EVERY year) is weird.
14. The coast is not a GREAT trip unless its windy.
15. Clatskenie windsurfing is not worth the drive. (Fact: its the finest BEACH and often the steadiest wind on the Columbia.)
16. Theres not much wind appropriate for sails over 6 meters.
17. This was a bad wind year for people wllling to actually LOOK for the wind.
18. Any place ever lives up to its reputation.
19. Only i live up to my reputation. (the most informative Wser journalist ever)
billgfc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if you only ski on a powder day and only sail when its 4.5 and below you miss the experience.

Why insist on drinking only the best wine? The best car? The best whatever?

No wonder you are frustrated. I d suggest no buying into all this nonsense.

Ski when there is snow, take it for what it is: fresh air, friends , scenery.

Sail on regardless , all conditions all weather,

Breath, use your eyes, Your board and skis go where your eyes go:) ad breath and you discover the moment and savor.

Evolve, enjoy, breathe be happy
Bond1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billgfc wrote:
well if you only ski on a powder day and only sail when its 4.5 and below you miss the experience.

Poppycock!

Sailing every day there's a hint of wind and skiing every day there's snow is the perfect way for me to miss the experience.

Last edited by Bond1 on Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
seabrookuk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: All Honesty - The Gorge Has Been a Disappointment Reply with quote

bharrisks wrote:
Moved to the Gorge a year ago. It has not lived up to its reputation. Windsurfing was solid for July and August. But, April, May and June were very spotty. September was sad. And, I can count the October and November days on one hand. Then came winter and theres been only about 4 weeks worth of marginal to poor ski conditions. Honestly, Ive been as bored here as much of the time as many other places Ive lived. Thought it would be some kind of wonderland. And, its not. Beware if youre thinking about moving to the Gorge. Youll have action for two months solid in the summer and then you may be bummin for the rest of the year.

Well sorry it hasn't been the perfect place for you, and if it's not windy enough you could learn to kite, don't need as much wind.... or you could go back to Kansas or wherever, and hey that just means more room on the water for those of us that love it here and do consider the gorge to be paradise...
rowenaman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: All Honesty - The Gorge Has Been a Disappointment Reply with quote

bharrisks wrote:
So, if youre thinking about moving to the Gorge, realize you will have 3 to 4 months of good to great sailing between May and September. The rest of the year youll have to find another activity to do on a regular basis.

Been here 15+ years and as a windsurfer and kiter - finding enough days on the water has never been an issue. Outside "May through September" locals love the uncrowded swell and epic conditions that blow out east from The Wall to 3 Mile Canyon in early spring (March/April) and late fall (October/November). And then there are the 3.2 easterly days at Stevenson and Rooster Rock. As other folks as said, ya just gotta drive a bit.

On WS slalom days, I'm kiting - so no complaints there either.

Mid winter I'm XC skiing and occasionally on the lift lines...or hiking, Mt. Biking etc. etc.

For outdoorsy choices, I think the Gorge has few peers in choice and diversity. The main downside is many of us have had to be creative career wise - as the BIG city offers more choices. But I'd trade a larger salary and traffic jams for Gorge life anytime - and have. LOVE it here!!! Our two Gorge raised kids agree 100%.
ebrent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's to bad is your disappointment is all based on you not getting what you can FROM place. I think you will be happier overall if you GIVE to a place as well. Those of us that love it here definitely enjoy the beauty and the sports but that is a small piece of a happy pie. Get involved in your community...give and don't just take and you might find yourself some peace.
airtime

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, everyone quit responding to this clown...just go back to where you came from..bye..plain and simple...once again...bye.....
nada

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that you are citing sports that are, ahem, "highly weather dependent," I'm not sure what your beef is in terms of the location.

Really, are you pissed at "the Gorge" or Ma Nature?

I've been here for more than a decade. The first year the sailing was meh and the snow was about the same. To be fair, I too thought "what's all the noise about?"

The next year it took until August for me to even think about my 5.0 and it snowed something like 800" up on Hood. It was full on almost all the time - I was either hanging on to a 3.7 and bug-eyed or trying to pick a path through a blinding whiteout - and I couldn't believe it. Bliss City.

Agreed that this past winter sucked - I got most of my days in March/April - and that this was probably the worst sporing wind-wise in 20+ years. So it goes, but I know someone who showed up in early June and sailed 31 straight and my wife has posted an easy 20+ over the last month.

Methinks the real question is whether your problem is with "the Gorge," your expectations of it, or the way you choose to engage life?

I just dig driving along 14 on a sunny day and looking at the drama of the scenery and thinking "Man, am I glad i don't live in someplace like, you know, Kansas."

Just sayin...
tetiaroaxx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: All Honesty - The Gorge Has Been a Disappointm Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by tetiaroaxx on Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
sissybar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: GHOST THREAD Reply with quote

It appears that this thread is from 2005?

Why/how did it get resurrected? RIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: