myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best board of all-time?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shahn1508

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the original Fanatic Ultra Boa. Sail range was 4.2 - 5.9. Quick to plane, easy to jibe, fun to jump, and incredibly durable. A true do-it-all board. I recall some epic days at the Power Lines on mine. I donated it to a neighbor whose grandkids paddle it around on the local lake. Hmmm, that means it's about 20 years old. Maybe they'll give it back to me for one more session at Rio Viento.
wdsurf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: favorite boards Reply with quote

lets see Razz clam sandwich7-10/55ltrs., Exclamation Exclamation clam sandwich 8-4 62ltrs., Very Happy Laughing naish 8-11 100ltrs.
csr7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.D.'s FO fridge door. Way ahead of its time.
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,
I was going to vote for the Go & Techno but I see they are already on your site. Both boards had a huge impact on the industry and have had great staying power. You see them just about everywhere. I rented them in the late 90's to try them out but decided they were not the small light wind lake board I was looking for.

I settled on the 2000 AHD Freediamond 77. Huge wind range, 6.5-10.5, tucked thin rails and especially thin tail, made for a board that was just more fun to sail on small lakes. Because the rails were so thin at the back of the board it turned like a 115 liter board. Other 150+ liter boards have thick rails that just can't be burried as deep in the turns as the FD 77 and if you try to burry them they kick back like a beach ball. The FD was not the earliest planer nor the fastest board in its category, but just the most fun. When comparing the FD to some of the racier boards it is like comparing a Minicooper to a Corvette. On the open road the Corvette is king, but in heavy rush hour traffic the Minicooper rules. On larger bodies of water I'm sure there are better choices, but on small lakes for 10-14 mph winds the FD 77 is king.

CoachG
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tough choice

Tabou 3S, pick a size 87/97 or Starboard Carve 111

Andy said your harness lines are too short Smile

when R you going to Rio ?

Gary

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
endgameplay

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F2 Strato, where I learned windsurfing out in the Aegean roundabout where Colombus used to sail. Starboard Carve is my favourite now..
wyndryder

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favorite board is definitely based on era of sailing:

Mid-80's: Without a doubt, Fanatic Bat and Fox. I wore out my first Bat and it's the only time I have every had 2 of the same boards. I came in 2nd in a long distance race with the Fanatic Fox.

Late-80's: Hands-down, Hi-Tech! They made me a better sailor.

Early-90's: Bic Tempo. Had it for many years and it was alot of fun.

Mid-90's: Mistral Screamer 263. Son of Electron. Still use it to this day and still the fastest I ever sailed.

Late-90's: Back to Hi-Tech. I still use my faithful 8'8" wave today in SF Bay and 8'4" wave in Maui. Also Mistral Flow 260 which is still my favorite for use in Maui.

Today: At the end of the day, my all-time favorite is my new Quatro custom (88 liters, about 8'6") with additional customizations just for my sailing style. New technology, computer-aided design, best material and most important, Keith Tebu designing! After 30 years sailing, this board is making me a better sailor still! It sails itself - I do very little adjustment. Simply the best I ever had.
Eastofmaui

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has completely missed the boat ( or board).
Without question the best board of all time is the Windsurfer!
Without it, the rest of this wouldn't even exist.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I recognize that the original Windsurfer concept was absolutely crucial in the development of the sport. Really, the idea of a functioning windsurfer was an amazingly invention, and no doubt, a truly innovative idea.

However, if that kind of board and rig was what windsurfing was really about, I wouldn't have ever started windsurfing. After all the trick surfboards I had in my life (before windsurfing), the original Windsurfer was a total beast. A rather crude, heavy, rotomolded plastic product that was more about being a boat of sorts.

Still though, I have to give the "longboards" some earned focus, particularly since my first windsurfing kit was a longboard with a retractable daggerboard. It was a 1985 11'10" F2 Strato, with a 5.7 F2 high aspect RAF sail. It had footstraps, and it planed up very well. Although it wasn't a real lightweight on the scale, the board really moved around well, and it was a jibing machine.

So, I have to second endgameplay's recognition of the F2 Strato, especially since it started me in the sport, keep my interest and didn't disappoint.
Aranel

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny that the F2 Strato has been mentioned twice in this thread. I have an F2 Strato, and I still sail it occasionally. Lots of nice features about it:

1) A fabulously designed daggerboard (Why doesn't my Kona daggerboard work as well?)
2) Sails well at below planing speed
3) Strong construction
4) Little rubber covering for the nose

I did a comparison it it to the Kona here:

http://hudsonwindsurfer.blogspot.com/2008/03/new-school-vs-old-school.html

-Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: