myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best board of all-time?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
In Belize we go as much as a 7 miles on a tack before turning. Some boards I have used there like a bonzer were a little tiring and slow in those conditions. Boards with a lot of rocker

If I haven't turned hard within the last few seconds, I slap myself in the face to wake myself up. (Hyperbole -- because my face guard prevents that -- but it makes my otherwise valid point.) But if one is not turning hard and often, I agree that Bonzers (despite having very little rocker) are overkill, sort of like cruising I-80 from NYC to SF in a Miata. I can't think of any wave board I'd want to sail in a straight line for 500 meters, let alone 7 miles. It would be too much like getting naked with Jessica Alba, only to shake hands.

Mike \m/
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
SNIP. It would be too much like getting naked with Jessica Alba, only to shake hands.

Mike \m/

Certain things get better with age. Some things don't work so well as they age, Mike, but you could always shake hands!
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="WMP"][quote="isobars"]
WMP wrote:
5-6 hours if really relaxed.

As for the hyperbole in your post, it's just fine as long as it doesn't cross over into hallucinations. ... it just doesn't happen that way

The last thing I suit up and go out there for is relaxation. Despite being in good shape aerobically -- I run on ellipticals at a pulse rate of 150 bpm (97% of my theoretical max heart rate) with my mouth closed, and my VO2Max of 45 is pretty good for a senior citizen -- I have to drop into the water, open my mouth widely, and heave for air after a few reaches full of hard turns. Those things seem to use every muscle in my body to the max when way powered in great swell.

I'm sorry if your OO's don't do that for you. I know several sailors whose boards on the better days transport them into a mind-altered zone like nothing else (legal) can.

I could have written this about the board: "It turns real good, better than most B&J and wave boards." But what fun is that to me OR a reader? I could have tried this: "Its minimum full-speed jibe carve radius is 11.6 feet on flat water when powered with a 4.2, finned with a 22 cm Curtis B&J fin and ridden by a 190-pound old man", but that's for the guys who run home and feed their GPS data into their PC to determine whether they had fun that day. Who's going to read that?

But since WSing is about stoke, I prefer to try to translate that stoke into print. My grin was so big and so firmly stuck on my face after a session on the board that I had to hit my thumb with a hammer before I could get my helmet and face guard off my head. It opened my eyes to a realm I hadn't experienced on that much board powered that pleasantly (4.2@30 mph average in glassy overhead swell last Friday) in many years, and saying "It turned real good" doesn't do the board justice. Even "turnHERENOW" understates its response to simple aft big toe input, including a whole reach of blasting bottom turns only halfway down the faces of the swell. After some cutbacks the wallowater thrown up didn't crash down onto my head until the following bottom turn. My thinner-tailed wave boards throw up mere curtains of water by comparison; this powerful yet silky (when not overpowered in chop) beast threw up some pretty hefty, thick walls at times that were obvious when they crashed down on me.

A floaty board this exciting in the hands of a mere journeyman WSer in measly onshore freshwater chopswell deserves hyperbole, IMO. Is it truly unique? I doubt it, but some other modern boards hyped this strongly don't even hold a wet candle to it in this regard. Many plane earlier and ride more smoothly overpowered in chop, but the few I've tried didn't carve as naturally at 80L. I'm anxious to compare the similarly sized Newwave head to head in the same conditions.

Mike \m/
WMP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Mike... your omnipotence is remarkable, you're sounding more and more like Wardog every day with your lavish illusions of grandeur.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting out of breath strikes me as a problem to be resolved, not an indication of grandeur.

Mike
hydro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Best Board of all time Reply with quote

F2 Xantos 295 gets a strong vote from me. The board helped a lot of us learn how to sail with confidence in higher winds and helped us make the transition to "short boards."
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

chopswell

jesusjones

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOYLE COME BACK.........................
thombiz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, Doyle come back..... I'm the lucky owner of two. A 93 and an 8'-6" wide body. Both are magic! I've been riding the 93 for more than 10 years now! Still looks and rides almost new!
jesusjones

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A case can be made for Open Ocean in the Gorge as well; I believe the ultimate Gorge ride. Custom built to your taste.................tasty bro…………..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: