myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best board of all-time?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WMP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open Ocean are absolutely the ultimate Gorge Boards..... fer sure !!! Turning quickness like no other board on the planet..... effortless power and control, that's what I'm talkin' about !! WOW, like razzel dazzle, these boards ROCK and ROLL.... unbelievable... simply unbelievable. It's like..... the perfect date every time I go out with her..... such perfect connection..... oohhhhh, gesh...... it's, it's, it's............. "Enlightenment"!!!!!!!
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was that comment about "rubbing your privates"? Wink

Mike \m/
WMP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, just another one of my momentary lavish illusion of grandeur..... result of ddd (dirty ditch dinning).... caused by mmm (messy mercury mind)..... I get that from time to time. Speaking of hallucinations.... I had one of them at about 4PM today at Stevenson...... I was ripping it up on an old custom Team Southwinds board (made in Florida) and 5.7 sail. Weird thing was.... it was a WEST wind blowing 24-28 (according to Port wind sensor).... when the forecast was calling for east winds today.

Of course, it was all a lavish illusion of grandeur.
SlightlySalty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quatro's are the alltime best boards. No comparison. They make the best custom boards. Shocked
kellyv

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Gorge Historical Reply with quote

This is from my Gorge historical perspective. I'm sure many other "old timers gorge sailors" will relate. Never thought I would say that about me. Crying or Very sad

1st was a super high wind glass Gorge Animal 7'11" 1988 19" wide to 11" tail. Never tried the bonzers so I can't compare (though the locals were raving). I would guess the volume to be something like 60-63L. Was the closest thing to sailing on a ski I can remember. Perfect for the Nuke days on a 4.0 and under. Would have to sometimes pump my sail in overpowering conditions to get it going, but dang it was fun when it got on a plane.

2nd fave (and still have it) Progressive Composites 9'0" race board 1990. Sucker is still light and fast.

3rd is a glass Dill custom 8'6" 1987. Ahhh the Dills. Not sure why Bob stopped making them. So beautiful. So Gorge.

4th was a Seatrend 8'6" 1990. Sailed it till it ripped apart on me at Avery '92. Wasn't doing anything fancy. Sucker just ripped apart. But loved it until then. Smile

kel_jump_celilo.jpg
 Description:
Gorge Animal 7'11" 1988. Handled the chop at Celilo no problem. :)
 Filesize:  1.13 MB
 Viewed:  14924 Time(s)

kel_jump_celilo.jpg

GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the best board question only makes sense if it's specified what it's supposed to be best at.

Why not specify different catagories? e.g. Longboards, wave boards, crossover boards, freestyle boards, and so on? Even then you'd need to subdivide. (In wave boards alone there are more different types than you can shake a stick at, all for different conditions. The same applies to long boards. How do you compare a Kona 1 with an all out racing board?)

It's true about Rose Tinted Specs and all that. I recently tried my old Screamer (which I loved at the time) and it felt like a load of rubbish. Sad, but true.
tm00

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones that I have owned and really liked
Bic Veloce 288
E-Rock & the old (heavier than rocks) Tiga-254
chophop

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early 90's glass Hi Tech blaster--great fast heavy bay board. Great jumper.

2000 JP wave 78 ltr. Fast, smooth, nose-high light. Great swell rider. Wink
jayturcot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Overall champion Reply with quote

Taking the spirit of the TV show (The Top 10) where things get rated across broad categories could work.
i.e. Top 10 weapons of all time talk about how widely used and the impact they had on history

I'd say boards could make this best board of all time for different reasons and it would make for a cool project. I don't envy whoever has to make the list and whoever has to take the flak from the masses afterward for their selection; but it'd be fun to see nonetheless.

From my own personal (small windsurfing history)

F2 Xantos <-- seemed to be recognzied by many in Ontario where I grew up and it's the board on which I learned to get in the straps

Bic Techno (blue) <-- I've seen this board in all inclusives in Cuba, used in the HIHO, used by free-riders everywhere. On flat water, it still brings back good memories to get one of these going.
VinceSF

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz wrote:

Was that the polyethylene job with the thruster setup?

no, that was the 250. the 254 had a thinner nose if my memory is correct. of course we're talking 1990's stuff right!?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: