myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Winter Wetsuit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbwright

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: winter Reply with quote

I got a drysuit last fall and used it all winter and was very comfortable. You can layer underneath to whatever warmth level you want. It's an Ocean Rodeo Pyro Pro and I would highly recommend it. Windance has them. Here's the OR link to it. http://oceanrodeo.com/kiting/pyro-pro When the river water get's below 50 degrees you really need to be careful and a drysuit is the way to go. Good luck.
Pete
ccyne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The coldest water I've sailed in was 37 F. In a Promotion 5.3, their hooded vest, with glacier gloves and booties. The air was around 60 and it was sunny. I actually got hot sailng and being in the water wasn't too bad after the first flush. I think 90 degrees air & water combined would be my lower limit on a sunny day.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WMP wrote:
3mm with insulated *titanium* PLEASE !! give me body 3mm and give me body TITANIUM !!!

NRS has it.

Mike
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: winter Reply with quote

pbwright wrote:
I got a drysuit last fall and used it all winter and was very comfortable. You can layer underneath to whatever warmth level you want. It's an Ocean Rodeo Pyro Pro and I would highly recommend it. Windance has them. Here's the OR link to it. http://oceanrodeo.com/kiting/pyro-pro When the river water get's below 50 degrees you really need to be careful and a drysuit is the way to go. Good luck.
Pete

Just got a 2010 Ocean Rodeo Pyro Pro Breathable and it feels great. I used it twice, once in my underwear and a T-shirt. and the second time with a gym outfit. I'll get some fleece or use my thermal for winter but it is just great to end a session and not even be wet.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one ever considers how heavy these suits are, do they? I sailed yesterday with an older North Race suit. It's rather warm but has been constricting my movements honed with a thinner suit and throwing my technique off. When I took it out of the car I realized it was rather heavy. Now, the trouble with the lighter and stretchier Psycho II I own would be that it isn't as wind resistant as this one. The North Race suit has short sleeves and that reduces the arm fatigue dramatically. However, the weight of these suits must contribute to fatigue. Luckily I'll be in Florida soon. Back to the drawback of dry suits i.e. what do you do when you have to take a wicked wiz?
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goretex dry suits with relief zippers solve both problems. No weight, no wait.

Mike \m/
WMP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
WMP wrote:
3mm with insulated *titanium* PLEASE !! give me body 3mm and give me body TITANIUM !!!

NRS has it.

Mike

Ya mean that cheap one that's on sale for $21 ? Doesn't look like a good design to me... the opening for the arms is much too small resulting in loss of arm and shoulder movement and blood curculation. Also, lots of seams that could wear out really fast.

I just got the Pinnacle 3mm titanium vest in the mail and it's a better design for this reason.... although, not sure if it's as warm as my Neil Pryde vest was. I'll let you know in January if it's any good..

- WMP
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WMP wrote:
isobars wrote:
WMP wrote:

NRS has it.

Mike

Ya mean that cheap one that's on sale for $21 ?

Several of their suits have titanium.

My comments on their selection referred primarily to their extensive variety of very useful items I've not seen anywhere else.

Mike \m/
WMP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need for a PsychoFreak wetsuit in winter when you ARE a psycho freak...

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2735127/wim_hof_ran_is_an_extraordinary_person_iceman/

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2105952/longest_swim_under_ice_breath_held/

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/1882195

I'd just like to know what this dude had for breakfast.

Kids, don't try this at home!
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:
No one ever considers how heavy these suits are, do they? However, the weight of these suits must contribute to fatigue.

Not that it matters but my Ocean Rodeo drysuit weights 150 grams less than my 4/3 wetsuit ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: