myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best board of all-time?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VinceSF

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz wrote:
VinceSF wrote:
noshuzbluz wrote:

Was that the polyethylene job with the thruster setup?

no, that was the 250. the 254 had a thinner nose if my memory is correct. of course we're talking 1990's stuff right!?

Yep! it was a LONG time ago. It must have been the 250 I had.

I had one and I remembered it to be very front heavy and super thin in the back. weird shape when you think of it. what were they thinking (smoking)?
tombrady3841

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For years a had the green Fanatic bee 267 90 liters as the big board and a
Seatrend ATV ( purple board ) 75 liter as the small board. I thought they were both good boards that performed well.
I rode Rouge Wave boards in Kauai. Very good boards. Only seen them around the Bay Area once. Another good Canadian product.
Now Iam an RW guy 80 & 90 liters. I take off the thrusters sometimes just to mix it up!

T
VinceSF

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WMP wrote:
GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Surely the best board question only makes sense if it's specified what it's supposed to be best at.

It's all about location, location, location.

It would also makes sense to mention what other boards you tried and why this particular one is better.
To tell you the truth, this is a futile exercise as there are too many variables.
justingordon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Mistral Beast 68 liters Reply with quote

rwarb wrote:
Almost every new board I've had for the last 20 years has been better than the last. Boards have gotten better! My current board, a Mistral Beast 68 (2006, I think) is great! So much fun in the Gorge, 2.8m2 to 4.2m2. Quick to plane, fast, great to jibe. Mess up a jibe on this board and you still don't get wet; it won't let you fall.

Does anybody have any idea what a barely used '06 Mistral Beast 75 should sell for these days?

Or any advice on why if I'm 190 pounds, I should keep this board, maybe for nuking days?

I was on a newer Tabou wave board, which I really liked with a 5.0, but with the wind averaging about 30 and a 4.5 slightly OP, the water was so darn choppy that it wasn't much fun. I'm still not convinced that I need to own a 75 L board at my size.

Aloha,

Justin

http://www.sugarranchmaui.com
http://facebook.com/justinhgordon
http://www.facebook.com/sugarranch
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justingordon wrote:
1. Does anybody have any idea what a barely used '06 Mistral Beast 75 should sell for these days?

2. Or any advice on why if I'm 190 pounds, I should keep this board, maybe for nuking days?

3. I was on a newer Tabou wave board, which I really liked with a 5.0, but with the wind averaging about 30 and a 4.5 slightly OP, the water was so darn choppy that it wasn't much fun. I'm still not convinced that I need to own a 75 L board at my size.

1. Markets depend very significantly on one's location. I see at least 3:1 ranges for similar gear across just the lower 48 ... heck, I've seen asking prices ranging from $300 to $10 on two older Mistral Naish wave boards 100 feet apart in similar condition except for a slight nose ding, and $400 vs $100 on similar Goyas 50 feet apart. GUESS WHICH ONE SOLD FIRST in both cases. Two excellent Beasts went unsold at our latest swap meet; I didn’t look, but I'd guess they were for around $600-700.

2. I’ve used and loved 65 liter boards for almost two decades now @ 190-200# anytime I’m powered consistently on a 5.2 or smaller … say, low-mid 20s and up. Only my aging forearm tendons plus this year’s unusually gusty winds have put me on 72-80 liter boards more often. I simply love their greater combination of full throttle speed/power, extreme maneuverability, and chop mastery in onshore conditions (Gorge and any other lakes with swell). For sideshore or side-off DTL on smoother water, their extra speed and chop tolerance are not nearly as important. Heck, even something as bouncy/poundy as an Evo XTV is fine in the latter conditions. Which leads us to #3 …

3. It’s not the volume as much as the extra couple of cm of width that makes one 80L board pound where another one slices. Boards Mag analyzed the pre-’08 (“traditionals”) and post-’08 (“stubbies”)wave boards in depth a couple of years ago -- see http://tinyurl.com/2cr2n3d --
and concluded that modern wave boards suck (condensing 4,000 words into one) in chop. Their niche is smooth DTL sideshore to side-off, not high winds and/or onshore conditions LIKE THE GORGE or chop in general …. aka the real world. With a few model-specific exceptions, wave board MFRs have sacrificed high-wind performance (especially comfort and control in chop, speed, and gust tolerance) for earlier planing. That’s precisely why my hobby has taken on a new slant the past couple of years: testing dozens of boards rather than plugging away at the same old sticks. I get razzed incessantly about hauling around so many boards, but it’s been an educational blast comparing them. Bottom line: I grinned ear-to-ear at virtually every comment in the very detailed article cited above, because I concurred very extensively with their analyses right down to to the very models they discussed, many of which I had chosen as keepers because they sail so damned well overpowered in the real world. If I had everyday access to the dream worlds pictured in the magazines (I’ve never seen water as smooth as those 20-foot faces in the mags except 5 feet offshore in offshore winds at Bird Island, TX; Fred Howard Park near Tampa, FL; and Monticello Bay, NM), I’d add some wider boards to my quiver or at least use my Evo much more often. That article may help you compromise better between the chop at your doorstep and the glassy faces further upwind, or at least pick a stick according to whether your next session will be in the real world or in a magazine.

Mike \m/
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's clear Iso that modern wave boards have become more tuned to proper wave riding at the expense of comfort in chop, just as you say.

I use both an Evo 74 and an Acid 73. The Acid is THE board for chop and B & j BUT, and it's a big but, gusty real world conditions literally sink it under my feet! Unless the wind is rock steady (very rarely so) the Evo is more use precisely because of it's greater width where it counts (where you stand) despite the chop discomfort.

In gusty onshore mushy surf the Evo works. Surely everybody who has bought and used one can't just be deluding themselves, can they?

The reason I'm interested in the tri-fin Chakra is because it it isn't a pure wave board, but a more all rounder which is CLAIMED to do it all.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Surely everybody who has bought and used one can't just be deluding themselves, can they?

Of course not, but as the article says, it and its siblings are niche boards, not the panaceas some dealers claim. In its niche I love mine, but Justin asked about an application outside its specialty.

Mike \m/

Last edited by isobars on Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, point taken Mike!
J_McV

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2009 Mistral 84 ltr. Twin fin wave board (by Mark Nelson) for the most fun to sail in a variety of surf and wind conditions. Ever!
It's a classic.
Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: