myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kiting at the Hatchery?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
birch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad
tstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly this issue will be resolved by a tragedy of some sort. You cannot have one close call after another and believe an "accident" will never happen. It's a fact that kiting, in spite of all the safety improvements, is a very high risk sport. The number of deaths and serious injuries is well known and cannot be ignored by those who decide to kite in crowded area's. The accident that is bound to happen will have a lasting impact on all kiters in the Gorge and this issue should not be ignored by the kiting community. It's one thing hurting or killing yourself. It's a totally different chain of events when you hurt or kill someone else. And skill level is not a defense. There are a lot of very skilled kiters that are dead. Those are the facts and saying you have the right to kite there is patently false as you cannot place others in danger having your fun.
SlightlySalty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to say it but the kiters can use the hatch just like the windsurfers. Accidents happen between windsurfers too. An windsurfer can also be a very dangerous piece of equipment. This is really more of an issue with windsurfers getting pissed at the kiters and threating them. That really shouldn't happen.
But don't get me wrong, I've lost at least twice as many friends kiting than windsurfing. Kiting is easy but dangerous. Just keep that in mind while you're out having fun and trying not to get hurt.
I get a kick out of the Maui/Gorge turf war comparison. This is nothing like Maui. Rolling Eyes
columbia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty - I don't get it. When you say it's "nothing like Maui" what do you mean? The Gorge windsurfing speed at the Hatch is faster in a more confined space (the point and cover). It will take a serious accident for this to sink in - as others have previously posted. Sad but true.

I have nothing against kiters many of my friends kite and kite well - they don't head to the Hatch to kite on the big days because they understand the dangers and have indicated that mixing it up at the point and cove is a recipe for disaster.
windfind

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: The real problem at the Hatch... Reply with quote

Today I had a great full powered 3.7 day at 3 Mile. Large but not huge glassy swell. Made a jibe near the far side, gave a pump and then.... a sickening crack as the mast snapped. As you know the river is very wide at this point and I was sailing far away from everyone else. Sure I could slowly make the very long swim but I did not want to dump my rig and I would probably have had a long barefoot walk to the truck.

Finally a kiter came within hailing distance. I yelled "broken mast" when he was 50 feet away. He looked at me blankly then disappeared in the distance. (he probably thought I was threatening him)

Minutes later another kiter on a strapless surfboard came by. We chatted then I grabbed my back foot strap and his harness and he, with great skill, slowly dragged me across the entire river while having a great conversation. And he finally dropped me off near that little surf break at the point.

The point being that there are jerks and great people in every sport. And in more "extreme" sports like kiting and windsurfing the former are a tiny minority. You can easily recognize them on the water and on the forums.

The real problem at the Hatch is that humans have work out etiquette by talking person to person, sometimes politely sometimes with anger, right after a perceived mistake. And the Hatch has one huge problem with kiters. The great majority DO NOT launch at the Hatch for obvious reasons. So when one of them or one of us makes a bad decision they disappear and there is no way to confront the person on the beach so everyone learns from the experience.

So unfortunately most of this anonymous arguing on the forums will really not change anything.

Mike Godsey
weatherflow.com
iwindsurf.com
ikitesurf.com
sailflow.com
fishweather.com
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The real problem at the Hatch... Reply with quote

windfind wrote:
most of this anonymous arguing on the forums will really not change anything.

It could, if it encouraged people to start applying peer and/or legal pressure, as had been suggested.

About that "Today I had a great full powered 3.7 day at 3 Mile. Large but not huge glassy swell." ... something tells me you didn't go up by the islands. I don't think I've seen swell that big and deep this century before today.

And no WONDER my 4.7 felt a bit hammered at times. Oh, well ... as intended, it got me home both times the wind quit. That's worth a few white-knuckled reaches during the peak blasts.

Mike \m/
30knotwind

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: The real problem at the Hatch... Reply with quote

[quote="isobars"]
windfind wrote:
I don't think I've seen swell that big and deep this century before today.
Mike \m/

IsoB, you have to know where to look: I've sailed many similar days as pictured below "this century"--note all the crowds, dangers and potential confrontations from other sailors/kiters. Makes you wonder why everyone is fighting over the scrappy, disorganized chop at the Hatch: it's a big river.

(Keep in mind these are fish-eye shots: swell is at least logo high. Sail is a 4.2: not crazy wind. Landmarks have been censored to reduce identification--my wife has sworn me to secrecy--although I'm sure many swell sailors can figure it out, obviously east of Hood River. The last picture is a wave, a beauty, not flatwater at the Hatch.)

7-16-2012 6-57-28 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.52 MB
 Viewed:  17111 Time(s)

7-16-2012 6-57-28 AM.png

WMP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: The real problem at the Hatch... Reply with quote

[quote="30knotwind"]
isobars wrote:
windfind wrote:
I don't think I've seen swell that big and deep this century before today.
Mike \m/

Landmarks have been censored to reduce identification--my wife has sworn me to secrecy--although I'm sure many swell sailors can figure it out

Hey I know where this is..... North Dakota, right?
Gorgekiteboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: The water Reply with quote

For some odd reason the "Windsurfers" think they own certain spots on the river. Guess what? You don't. Everyone(well at least those of us who pay taxes and buy park passes Smile) owns a piece of the water and public lands. Kodak point is for everyone. Kiters like to have their photo taken as well as impress the girls/boys on the beach!

As a almost former "Windsurfer" I chose the Hatch as my preferred place to sail. As a "Kiter" I would chose to sail there for the same reason. Bear in mind that it is a much bigger committment for "Kiters" to sail at the Hatch than for Windsurfers. They make much more of an effort to find great conditiions. I'm sure that if it was safe to launch a kite from the Hatch, it would be overrun with many more "Kiters" making the usage about 50-50.

During my years of sailing at the Hatch, I have been hit 2x and suffered cracked ribs. I have had to avoid many near collissions by arrogant and clueless riders. In my 8 years of kiting I have had no injuries and only a few close encounters with others.

IT would be wise for anyone without the proper skills to avoid crowded areas like the Hatch.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: The real problem at the Hatch... Reply with quote

30knotwind wrote:
IsoB, you have to know where to look: I've sailed many similar days as pictured below "this century" ... Swell is at least logo high.

I admit I've sailed at only about 72 launches on the Columbia, so I've not seen EVERY patch of water it offers, but this stuff, in the mid-morning, was the biggest and steepest consistent swell I remember since the early '90s. I've seen taller, and I've seen steeper (rarely), and I've seen broader, but I don't recall all three coming together consistently in a long, long time.

I sail almost exclusively out east from early April through Thanksgiving -- sometimes January -- and this was the first jaw-dropping swell I've seen since my first overpowered 2.8 day at Arlington 20 years ago. (I've never agreed with those 15' estimates we hear occasionally, and one long-gone (to South Dakota) local who used to sail WAY out east all winter and claimed 30' swell @ 50 mph gusting to 75 has always drawn hoots of laughter.)

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 8 of 13

Jump to: