myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Video: Cold front passing and NW wind inbound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Video: Cold front passing and NW wind inbound Reply with quote

Hey gang,

Ever wondered what a cold front is and how it relates to wind. Click on the video link for the full story in 2 videos.

http://wp.me/p4sVyF-44d

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com

ColdFrontAmin.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.75 MB
 Viewed:  11462 Time(s)

ColdFrontAmin.gif

dperzinski

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great explanation Mike. This really helps.
Dave
windfind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Thanks! Below... compare the image of the cold front and NW wind above yesterday with the image below for 11:30 today.

It is amazing how fast the weather picture for the entire pacific can change in 12 hours. Gives you a feeling why forecasting wind is so tricky.

Mike
iwindsurf.com

OldColdFront.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  142.04 KB
 Viewed:  11404 Time(s)

OldColdFront.jpg

loopless

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
I wonder what is your explanation for the very localized wind in San Diego at the moment.

It's blowing 17-20mph at Tourmaline, but a few miles north it's sheet glass ( easy to see on the surf cams). I realize that Mt. Soledad can squeeze an existing wind to intensify it, but days like this ( always Santa Ana) seem quite odd. The forecasts never capture this.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew, In the old days, everyone used to say that K39/Raul's blew pretty good when there was a big outer water NW blow. Here in Malibu/Ventura/Santa Barbara it can be glassy, when at the same time Jalama is 30+ only 30 miles away. (as the crow fly's) There are days (pre frontal) that can be good in Malibu if the wind is blowing south up in the bay area too.

The eddy effect causes our wind to go south, and I'd guess that if the eddy is far enough north it won't effect you down there. I'd like to get an explanation too! I've always wanted to sail Tourmaline, and will be there for 4 days next week. I'd also like to know if anyone down in SD has been making the Raul's trek lately.

On another note, C street in Ventura has been pretty good over the last 2 years compared with the last 10 years. However, Malibu has been light compared to historical winds. What's up with that?
loopless

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not been to local mex this spring so far. It needs the inland to warm up a bit as it is thermal driven/accelerated. And ideally a bit of a S swell. The most reliable season for local Mex is really July/Aug/September. Pretty much you want a "gray/marine layer" morning in San Diego with a NW/W wind pattern, then local mex usually fires up. Our friend the "eddy" kills it.

Pity you weren't here this week.. the last couple of days at Tourmo - for us it's been pretty epic.
Side-off and 17-20+. I sailed until 6pm tonight just on a rotation getting wave after wave above PB point , up to 4ft+ on the sets and totally DTL. But that's pretty unusual, and once May comes around it's pretty much over for the summer.

You might be lucky next week. Send me a IM and we can exchange info.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andrew, will PM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: