myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Winter riding
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Good size swell at the Narrows today! Reply with quote

I rarely see easterly swell of any good size. Today was impressive at the Narrows/Home Valley. But I don't think it would be a good idea to get it anyway. It's deadly cold out there.
Juani222

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the many repies. A few things: I ride in the winter because I enjoy it, I've ridden in freezing temperatures in on the East Coast and the Midwest, and know my limits. As someone said, 40 mph is dangerous in July and way more dangerous in January, but a winter session in 20-30 mph with the propper gear is doable in pretty cold conditions. Now, regarding sailing with others, I hope we all agree that riding with others is safer than riding solo, and that is what I was trying to say.
trudynlary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most of the comments here, you are basically on your own sailing in winter. You must be willing to ditch your gear and swim to shore, either shore, if necessary.

Knowing how you feel and your abilities are really important and taking extra pre-cautions in winter is important.

As for winter sports, I got bored snowboarding in Oregon years ago after I snowboarded in Jackson Hole for a week.

I still have fun sailing at Rooster in winter, but don't sail under 45 degrees.

Trudy
trburl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real deal coast sailors like Trudy that operate in 50 degree water solo sometimes, have a pretty good understanding of what they're getting themselves into with winter sailing: save yourself.

Most of them, before they even go out, have decided if it gets hairy with a breakdown, the rig is getting dumped the board is getting paddled and survival is happening. I think making blanket statements about hyper-active and driven athletes just being macho is a pretty bad leap of logic.

Besides, shockingly, some people really just sail because they truly dig it, not to prove a damn thing to anyone, except maybe themselves.

Go figure. Maybe thats why sailors like Trudy are on the coast on relatively empty beaches 90% of the summer. Tough? Hells ya. Macho? Please.
Juani222

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to trburl's comments!
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My "macho = stupid" comment was a broad generalization I've used in many applications for decades now. It suggests that taking risks or spending money we don't have for the purpose of impressing others isn't smart, not that everyone who pushes their limits is stupid. I've sailed in air temp, water temp, and wind speeds all averaging in the 30s, I've sailed in wind gusting into the 70s, I've sailed miles off the Oregon coast on a sinker in heavy fog, and I've sailed miles off the Kihei coast on a sinker, but those were alone, thus strictly to establish some personal limits, not to impress anyone. I understand the difference and wish that people would stop interpreting so many of others' comments in the worst way possible.
30knotwind

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to get out there a few times in winter to maintain basic skills, but without swell while fighting the current you have to focus on the beauty of the place and the fun of sailing very strong wind.

Even when others are there, often just one or two other sailors on the water at a time, it's hard to keep track of what everyone is doing. For safety, you should be ready to float/swim a long way in very cold water.

Looks like the super easterlies will last through Sunday, strongest on Sat/Sun.
http://www.30knotwind.com/p/gorge-noaa-week.html

easterlies.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.35 KB
 Viewed:  18931 Time(s)

easterlies.png

WMP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Good size swell at the Narrows today! Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
I rarely see easterly swell of any good size. Today was impressive at the Narrows/Home Valley. But I don't think it would be a good idea to get it anyway. It's deadly cold out there.

Slight bend in the wind pattern caused it to fill in at the Narrows really nice on Thursday but Home Valley was only good on the inside, the Oregon side was a bit less wind and gusty. No, I didn't sail it.... just taking in the view and making mental notes while sitting on top of Wind Mountain. Think I saw you pull into the HV parking area?

Glad things are being talked about in such a civilized manner here. Mike has shared what he has shared.... it could save a life? I don't know. All I do know is that I'm not as young as when I sailed all winter. This year's easterlies have not shown very often so I'm not in the condition that I need to be to sail all winter. Instead, I will be hitting the slopes now since the white stuff has arrived. I hope to see you there.
trudynlary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few things I will not do now that I am an old fart.

1. Sail in fog at the Oregon coast, just not fun when you cannot see where you are going. Plus if Florence is fogged in, there is Ocean Beach and Neptunes up north and they are usually clear of fog.

2. Sail in the rain in south wind at Nehalem Bay, rain usually goes sideways, plus sometimes there are trees falling on the drive out to the coast in early season.

3. Sail at Rooster under 45 degrees.

Of course now that I posted this I will probably do some of these.

Trudy
WMP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We really need to start an organization called "Friends of the Wind", or better yet "Old Geezer Farts UNITED" (OGFU). The great thing about being a member of OGFU is that we have learned when to say "no thanks" despite what our other minds tell us. Rightfully so, it's probably best to pass today (air temp is now 27* and east wind is averaging 34) in order to sail another day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: