myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Anybody know anything about windsurfing in Cuba?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windward1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guantanamo is at the far East tip so in the eye of the wind. North shore and South shore from one location. A new soccer field to play on if the wind does not show up....
J64TWB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use google earth in 3d you can zoom in and search the shorelines. You will find the vastness of the island and roads that may lead you to certain areas.

It seems really remote.

Just looking at the East end, in parts it looks like a cliff runs along the shore, probably not very accessible. Other areas there seems to be a barrier reef offshore. Trades will blow a little better farther South.

It sounds like a fantastic idea and trip!
westender

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You saw this discussion?

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15811&highlight=cuba
geohaye

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forum-favorite from years ago, Cuban escapee-via-windsurfer, Raydel Armas has contacted me and asked me to post information for him here -- about windsurfing in Cuba. In recent years, Raydel's life has taken many twists and turns, and he has even produced offspring in Florida.

Without further ado, Raydel says Hello! to all of you, and here are his words:
(A couple of map attachments are included below, plus a pic of Raydel on his tour of duty in Afghanistan, for the US Army.)

"On the subject of the guys that where looking to get info about Cuba and and the windsurfing odyssey of that island... my personal position about it is DON'T GO, for many reasons, one of them been that every dollar you will spend there... it's going to go STRAIGHT to the regime, so in a very active way, you will be supporting the longest and oldest true communist dictatorship in the planet (since 1959 until this day... the same F***ing Castros in power)

I am sooooo disappointed and disgusted of the fact that THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA... the symbol of freedom of the world, but under this pathetic government I got to see what I though to be impossible... to see the day where The GOV of the USA gave the absolute and unconditional pardon and approval to the Castro's regime in Cuba... like if this Castros where not the same ones that had executed so many people just for thinking different, the same ones that day by day to this day beat in public every Sunday after mass to all those "ladies in white" (the wife and daughters of independent journalist sentenced to even life in prison for JUST WRITING... but writing the truth about that f***ing island ) .. the very same Castros that in October of 1968 had nuclear head pointing at the US... ready to shoot... the only reason we don't have a 3rd arm growing in our backs right now is cuz the soviets were the ones with the launching keys and they knew better... cuz F**ing Castro just wanted to press the damn button..... BUT HEY!... USA is a free country (so far) ... and if that's what they really want... oh well!

Now, in regard of WINDSURFING IN CUBA... yes,...take your gear, cuz there is only 2 ways you will wind equipment there, one: if a hotel has some, it will be from the time Polakov was in pampers and/or so beat up that it is pathetic, 2nd way: to use those of one local windsurfer, which chances are, those will be a bit better, but still obsolete for the US standards. But I can tell from now, that risking to take your windsurfing equipment to Cuba, besides being insanely expensive (cuz all flights from the US to Cuba are charters, and we all know how much space they take and how fragile they are) that's another thing, let's say you decide to take them with you... chances are that a lot of it will break or get lost, or never get there with you in the same flight and/or even get stolen (how, you ask?) well... you could even see your stuff being pullded from the plane by the official personnel of the Cuban airport, and you will see your equipment get through one door and never make it out again... and they will tell you in your face that "those things never made it to Cuba"... the same way that they will tell you in your face that the sun is the one that rotates around the earth...

That's communism my friend... don't you try to make sense of it... or you will get a stroke right where you are standing. They are extremely corrupted... EVERYONE and EVERYWHERE are extremely corrupted, policeman,.. office clerks, doctors, drivers... uuufff... taxi drivers... beware of taxi drivers.. i don't care what type of taxi... if someone is driving you... you better don't trust a freaking word, they know you are a tourist and will do anything to get advantage of you, it is all a show, and it is all about the money, if you aren't in the company of a native at all times, assume that you will be paying and been charged pretty much double of what it really is. BUT.. it is not a dangerous place for the most part, and if you are in a mayor touristic place like Varadero ... then you are in a safe heaven (still... you will be taken advantage off hahaha.. sorry dude... I hate Cubans too, trust me... that's why I stay as far away from them as I can... ME? I was just born there... and I like to think it was just due to a glitch of the Matrix... hahaha... cuz I really never fit there.)

VARADERO AND WANABO

Anyways, about WHERE TO WINDSURF there... well, Varadero has insanely beautiful beach, and beautiful bikinis, but it barely makes it an ok place to windsurf most of the time the wind is in light to moderate conditions (if you go in the summer not even with formula and a 11 sail you will move... hahaha... death calm) in Cuba... in general, the windiest time is now, the winter months (Winter there means in the worst case scenario temps in the mid 50s ) but in my opinion WANABO beach is more of a hot spot for windsurf than Varadero (Wanabo is some 50 miles west of Varadero (still in the north sea of the island) and maybe 20 miles east from the capital Havana). That's where the redbull used to make a Cuban version of a 2 days non stop party with all type of X-sports... kite, windsurf, BMX... lots of RUM and red bulls and lots of girls everywhere. And besides those 2 places you don't really want to get any farther away from Havana, or the province of Matanzas, were Varadero Beach is... cuz for a tourist, as far you get from those spots... your life will be turning more miserable per mile. but if you are feeling like Don Cristobal Colon (Christopher Columbus) then have at it!

The best I can do for a windsurfer that is planning to go to Cuba, is to check with some friends in Cuba (windsurfers too) and see if it will be ok to pass their/his contact information and that way you guys can meet there and that way you guys can hang together and have some kind of guide and someone to trust... well... to trust more than the average.

Now, your best bet in a windy weather in the North east coast of Cuba is when a center of high pressure is passing over Florida and over the Bahamas and it is big enough that the bands hit Cuba... you probably know that High pressure areas tend to have a wind rotation clockwise... that way your best wind in cuba is the one coming from the East to west, NorthEast to southWest kind of.... but you don't want to get in the water when is blowing from the south... and that's somewhat the month of April (the water gets very very flat an calm, but the wind comes from land and it is very ... VERY gusty , and if something breaks the wind and current will take you out to the ocean... and in Cuba... there is no coast guard to the rescue, or a 911 to dial, or anyone with a boat for that matter that will or can go and help you. You will be shark's food.

Oh... by the way... BEWARE... there is Dengue fever in Cuba, it is transmitted by the mosquito bite of the Aedes aegypti mosquito: take lots of "Off" spray with you."

--Raydel Armas

cub 4.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  157.25 KB
 Viewed:  27863 Time(s)

cub 4.JPG

Cub 2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  163.39 KB

Cub 2.JPG

IMAG0326.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.07 MB

IMAG0326.jpg

swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that last post, seems like the thread just might be edging over to the political, off-topic side of the forum. Definitely a wet blanket of sorts has been thrown on the idea of a windsurfing adventure in Cuba. Frankly, I'm hoping for a more upbeat outcome for our travelers and their film project.
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Governments matter. Geography matters. Both can affect your trip. Information on both were given in that post.
westender

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they go. Somebody has to test the waters. I appreciate Raydel's comments and do not doubt them. Thanks for your service.
Bigred1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this post... as anything in life... it's for you what ever you make of it, if you want to wimp about it... had at it, or if you want to take some useful point out of it.. you might as well.

Again, it's all on you, and what you make of it.
Bigred1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Guantanamo!!!!..... Bad...baaaad.... Bad idea Reply with quote

Someone mentioned Guantanamo, my friends... If there is a place in Cuba where the Cuban dictators have no problems of resources... That will be the entire coast line of Guantanamo... There is huge areas of land mines spread allover, and lots of mid/shallow/and deep water mines too (except on the very narrow and very well charted on the US Navy marine charts for the exclusive use of the US Navy to enter and exit the base.

Just so you know.
macbarnhardt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody know anything about windsurfing in Cuba? Reply with quote

a friend of mine did a sailing trip to Cuba this past winter and noticed there is a Havana Kiteboarding Club. The kids there had used gear left there by European tourists. If you can find a contact there, I'm sure they know all the good spots. And i bet the Miami windsurfing community might know as well.

See you guys in HR this summer.

wyattmiller wrote:
Tyson Poor, Bryan Metcalp-Perez and I are planning to fly to Cuba mid April with windsurfing gear for a film project.

Anybody know where to find the best wind and maybe some other windsurfers?

Gracias.

Wyatt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: