myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Obama's Amazing effectiveness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 73, 74, 75  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pointster wrote:
I am so tired of identity politics. Pious PC pronouncements from liberals (excuse me, progressives), faux fox outrage from conservatives.

Transexuals are a tiny proportion of the population. Regardless of laws, they will use the facilities they find most comfortable, and hardly anyone will notice.

Meanwhile, we are losing our manufacturing sector because many of our trading partners are manipulating their currencies and supposedly American companies are moving offshore.

Pointer, if I didn't know better I'd think you're going to vote for Trump!!! He's been a lot more presidential since he's won the nomination. I hope you're listening to him carefully, and not believing the hype.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it not be smarter to talk about trans genders , than the historically anemic economy, Iranian deal lies, rise of ISIS because of the spineless morons inaction? If I was running this pathetic administration I would dream up critical issues like this bathroom nonsense that effects little to no one also.
nw30

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another deflection issue to take the minds off of the real problems of this country.
I'm waiting for Obama to outlaw (by decree again) GMOs, that has to be close to the top of his important issues list. We're dying out here!
pointster

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

real-human wrote:
pointster wrote:
I am so tired of identity politics. Pious PC pronouncements from liberals (excuse me, progressives), faux fox outrage from conservatives.

Transexuals are a tiny proportion of the population. Regardless of laws, they will use the facilities they find most comfortable, and hardly anyone will notice.

Meanwhile, we are losing our manufacturing sector because many of our trading partners are manipulating their currencies and supposedly American companies are moving offshore.

As a person who has brought manufacturing back to the USA on several occasions, i think i have a better clue than trump and most. Believe it or not trade agreements every one i have looked at from the surface are very good for the USA. Most people look at it the short term and are not aware, manufacturing startedthe cycle of went out of the country about 40-50 years ago with a classic Sunbeam example.

I know of Sunbeams example because the head of that group lived across the street from me as i was a kid, he set up manufacturing in the rest of the americas south of USA. He was a very nice person, and he would take time to tell me about business before i was a teenager. He later retired and was a professor at University Of Phoenix grad school for many years when he moved from my street. So it started in the early 70s or late 60s.

second what most people are clueless about is why products in usa and places like Hong Kong use to be so low cost. Because we were basically the only countries that did not duty incoming products to their nations. Understand more now? and we still do not duty much to this date. That is why people love to shop in the USA.

So that is the essence we have never dutied anything from other countries so the prices are low. Now every other country duties nearly every product there is from all over the world some as much as 500 percent or more.

So in essence anything we made and shipped elsewhere had huge duties on them as they enter other countries as a minimum about 20 percent and as I aid as much or more than 500%.

So any agreement on our part where another country does not duty our product if made in the USA gives us a huge boost in competitiveness. And what did we give up to do this well actually nothing we were not dutying anything in the first place.

Again i have been involved in manufacturing in the USA and shipping products before for many companies and know this as a fact.

Now the problem we have is the rich have deserted america. They do not invest in making us competitive, they have no real american pride. I have gone into countless manufacturers for getting plastic parts made springs and on and on to qualify them. plus i was a machinist while in college. Some companies would have ww2 machines in operation that could not hold decent tolerances because in general i could tell if the owner was a trust fund kid just milking it for the last pennies without upgrading. What i would see is companies that had the original founder or a start up with state of the art machines that could out produce as well as make parts to incredible tolerances.

Our rich have no pride in america like the rich of say Japan, Germany, Switzerland, Holland, UK, sweden, norway and on and on. they became greedy 40 years ago when they made it so CEO in public companies could make bank and run ie running the company in short term gain mode vs long term. you do not see that type of pay disparity in the countries i listed. short term to keep expenses low do not do much R&D and do not upgrade in your manufacturing machines. make your books look good for the next 5 to 7 years so you make your huge bonuses.

from what i see founders of like tesla are the ones that need to be congratulated.

Next we took so much out of the education specially in research where the rough ideas get started. it has shifted to military funding that does not have the net effect of major advances for the usa technology.

What was the founders intent... well look at the telegraph, they funded that first one from DC to was it MD. at a ridiculous cost, and we still get residuals from communications... to this date.

The US still imposes tariffs: for example, 25% tariff on light trucks.

If past trade deals were so good for US exporters, why have US trade deficits continued to rise? Answer, Many of our trading partners undervalue their currencies. So a currency undervalued by 20% is the same as a 20% duty on imports. But currency manipulation is not addressed by the TPP does not contain provisions on currency manipulation:

Prohibitions on currency manipulation are not part of the agreement. Automakers worry that foreign governments like Japan’s will be able to weaken their currency to undercut U.S. vehicle production. Ford Motor Co. in particular had lobbied Congress to require such prohibitions.

“U.S. lawmakers took unprecedented action to set a clear negotiating objective for addressing currency manipulation in all future trade deals,” Ziad Ojakli, group vice president of government and community relations for Ford, said in a statement released before the deal was announced. “The TPP fails to meet that test. To ensure the future competitiveness of American manufacturing, we recommend Congress not approve TPP in its current form, and ask the administration to renegotiate TPP and incorporate strong and enforceable currency rules.”

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2015/10/05/free-trade-deal/73367820/
pointster

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:
pointster wrote:

Pointer, if I didn't know better I'd think you're going to vote for Trump!!! He's been a lot more presidential since he's won the nomination. I hope you're listening to him carefully, and not believing the hype.

I have been listening to him. Given his statement on not paying in full on US debt:

"Yeah, I think — look, I have borrowed, knowing that you can pay back with discounts. And I have done very well," Trump said. "I would borrow, knowing that if the economy crashed, you could make a deal, and if the economy was good, it was good, so, therefore, you can't lose."

And he has, in fact, used the bankruptcy laws to avoid full debt repayment.

So while he has campaigned on trade, along with Bernie and Romney, and a lot of other politicians, he's not the guy I want negotiating on the behalf of the United States.
real-human

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pointster wrote:

The US still imposes tariffs: for example, 25% tariff on light trucks.

If past trade deals were so good for US exporters, why have US trade deficits continued to rise? Answer, Many of our trading partners undervalue their currencies. So a currency undervalued by 20% is the same as a 20% duty on imports. But currency manipulation is not addressed by the TPP does not contain provisions on currency manipulation:

Prohibitions on currency manipulation are not part of the agreement. Automakers worry that foreign governments like Japan’s will be able to weaken their currency to undercut U.S. vehicle production. Ford Motor Co. in particular had lobbied Congress to require such prohibitions.

“U.S. lawmakers took unprecedented action to set a clear negotiating objective for addressing currency manipulation in all future trade deals,” Ziad Ojakli, group vice president of government and community relations for Ford, said in a statement released before the deal was announced. “The TPP fails to meet that test. To ensure the future competitiveness of American manufacturing, we recommend Congress not approve TPP in its current form, and ask the administration to renegotiate TPP and incorporate strong and enforceable currency rules.”

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2015/10/05/free-trade-deal/73367820/

from your source,
Quote:
“This partnership levels the playing field for our farmers, ranchers, and manufacturers by eliminating more than 18,000 taxes that various countries put on our products,” Obama said in a statement. “It’s an agreement that puts American workers first and will help middle-class families get ahead.”

yes today the dollar is strong.... well 8 years ago it was in the toilet. I do not think we will ever have a single currency in the world. I do not know what was proposed to try to benchmark it but talk about complicated.

again I would qualify companies to make parts, went in them and as I said they just were not investing in quality machines as the norm. For instance I was only able to find one contract manufacturer to do the pcb with a fully automated surface mount machine that virtually evens the playing field when assembling a pcb. It is like having 40 robots. As mentioned had to go up to Wisconsin to get that done though we were assembling in Evanston IL.

all you have to do is go to Japan or Germany for instance and when you go in their factories they have state of the art machines. That is why Germans can build such a high quality line of autos and some at a reasonable rate. even with the high labor rate they have. It is all about having a society that the rich do not cut and run, they invest in state of the art machinery.. And partly having quality of educated workers that can think on an assembly line.

MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poinster, Trump has been prescient on many matters such as not going into Iraq, U.S. trade deals, N Korea nuke deal, he warned about Bin Laden IN 2000, and even yesterday he was criticized for saying the Egypt Air looks like terror. Left was outraged until 3 hours later the WH said the same thing.

Refuse to listen at your own peril.
real-human

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:
Poinster, Trump has been prescient on many matters such as not going into Iraq, U.S. trade deals, N Korea nuke deal, he warned about Bin Laden IN 2000, and even yesterday he was criticized for saying the Egypt Air looks like terror. Left was outraged until 3 hours later the WH said the same thing.

Refuse to listen at your own peril.

please back up your post... like trump 2000 bin laden. and Iraq.. you printed it you own it.

pointster

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suppose a country has 15% duty on US imports, which gets reduced to zero in a trade deal. If that country then devalues its currency by 20%, how do US exporters benefit?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pointster wrote:
Suppose a country has 15% duty on US imports, which gets reduced to zero in a trade deal. If that country then devalues its currency by 20%, how do US exporters benefit?

They don't. That's why so many formerly high paid manufacturing workers support Trump. At least he exposes the crappy deals and currency manipulators.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Page 20 of 75

Jump to: