myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
HARNESS LINE LENGTH and SEAT Harnesses
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamero

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:
You don't say what board you are using. As others mentioned, boards and their respective uses tend to dictate harness line length.

5'6" 172 lb. 33" lines when racing using seat harness. 28" when shortboarding using waist harness.

I sail a Starboard Carve 121 95% of the time. I also own a 94L Starboard Kode FSW. Only sailed it once last year as I am still getting my skills up and I typically sail in lighter to moderate wind.

You are the same height as me and both your seat and waist line length seems to be similar to what I have been using.
adywind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what issues do you have with waist harnesses, but Im guessing its the riding up. Regardless I really, really recommend you giving them another chance. Try to ignore the riding up, persevere and after a while youll be glad you did. Your equipment doesn't qualify much for a seat harness, especially the Freewave board. I used to have a seat harness, even convinced myself that it's better for my bigger sails,but now it gathers dust somewhere in my garage. It restricts your movements and it doesn't promote an active riding style, which in turn will slow your progress considerably.
PS: we windsurfers tend to ignore the coolness factor that draws the younger generations to kiting almost exclusively and harness type plays a big role in that too IMO. Here's a funny example:
Goofy looking me in a Diaper ...I mean seat harness/top picture/ and cool looking me in a quality ION waist harness/ bottom/

IMG_0556.JPG
 Description:
goofy
 Filesize:  299.3 KB
 Viewed:  16166 Time(s)

IMG_0556.JPG

IMG_1804.JPG
 Description:
cool
 Filesize:  344.18 KB
 Viewed:  16166 Time(s)

IMG_1804.JPG

Last edited by adywind on Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seat 80%, waist 20%.
Same 24" lines, but I have short arms for someone 5'10".
Even in pure surf, I've used both, around 60/40 waist, but haven't really needed one or the other, as long as I have a harness on.
At 67, prefer seat for flat water cruising and jumping.
adywind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Just discovered a fact in the "goofy " picture above that I've overlooked before wich plays nicely in a waist vs seat harness debate. In that shot I am captured having trouble unhooking /because of the low seat harness hook / just before a gybing attempt. This is from 2 or 3 years ago and my inexperience then surely also has a share in the crash that followed. But the point is that an easier to unhook waist harness wouldn't have made me lift my torso to the extent of disturbing the board in this brutal manner. And now I'm posting a picture capturing almost the same moment/present days/ with a smooth and easy unhooking action followed by a smooth carve from an undesturbed board. You can bet everything went fine here.

IMG_1826.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  326.01 KB
 Viewed:  16147 Time(s)

IMG_1826.JPG

IMG_1827.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  372.95 KB
 Viewed:  16149 Time(s)

IMG_1827.JPG

coachg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanity has no place in windsurfing, or in any other sport for that matter. Or maybe it is just the coach in me but if your main concern is how you look & not how you perform then you progress will be much slower and you will not be long for this sport.

A main component of seat vs. waist harness is body type; another would be ease of use but in no way does a seat harness slow down you progress. As for active sailing style, that is up to the type of sailing you do, not the harness you wear.

The number one concern with your harness should be comfort, period. Everything else is an afterthought. It is also the reason you need to buy a harness from your local shop where you can try it on.

Coachg
westender

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what my line length is, how would it do anybody else any good to know. Figure out what works for you.
mamero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
I don't know what issues do you have with waist harnesses, but Im guessing its the riding up. Regardless I really, really recommend you giving them another chance.

I started with a waste and can use a waste harness fine. If you have the misfortune to experience sciatic lower back pain you will understand the reason to switch. Since I switched from waste to seat I’ve seen a noticeable increase in my skills. I can handle more power and bigger sails. It allowed me to learn blasting in the straps the season. I can sail longer with less fatigue.

I still have my waste harness but it is not my go-to harness anymore. For high wind and small gear sailing it may come out again. But this is not very often.

adywind wrote:
Your equipment doesn't qualify much for a seat harness,

To each their own. For freeriding I think most will agree that a seat is just as fine as a waste. Does it really matter anyway? If a waste works for you great. A seat works for me and it does for a lot of others as well. I’m 138 lbs. I’m not a big guy and at my size a 7.5 is big! It’s more like a 9.0+ for some of you folks. A seat harness allows me to hold more power at a lower center of gravity. On regular sailing days my 121 Carve, 7.5 Retro, and Dakine XT Seat harness is just right. Others my size may not see it the same way. But I am not them, and they are not me. Boxers or briefs? Cream or sugar? Use whatever harness you like if it gets you out on the water having fun, progressing with good technique and in a safe and healthy way. That's what matters!

adywind wrote:
PS: we windsurfers tend to ignore the coolness factor that draws the younger generations to kiting almost exclusively and harness type plays a big role in that too IMO.

I don’t care what I look like when I on the beach rigging or on the water windsurfing. Only the most vain sailor would sacrifice their own progress, comfort, or enjoyment of windsurfing in order to impress some millennial hipster who is too busy tweeting at the beach notice there is an ocean, let alone wondering if the windsurfer/kiter a mile off shore is wearing a waste or seat harness!

Also, there are a lot of kiters in my neck of the woods. From what I can see, just as many wear seat as they do waste. But honestly, I’m not really looking that closely, and I could care less anyway.

Anyway… this thread is not about weather a waste or seat is better. There is no right answer to this and there never will be. Everyone is different. It is about finding the ideal harness line length when using a seat harness.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxx

Last edited by joethewindsufa on Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
adywind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep forgetting the average age of this forums members. Hopefully there are some younger folks in the silent majority who can take advantage of my preachings. Regardless it's still fun for me and a way to cope with the winter withdrawal blues of my windsurfing addiction.
Like it or not.
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting comment. I would have never associated vanity with age. What bad experience have you had to bring such a low moral opinion with our youth? I coach high school football, teach at the state college & ABK so I work with hundreds of younger people and in my experience vane people in that age group are the silent minority, not majority.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 3 of 17

Jump to: