myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Dedication to getting out there and going windsurfing
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. A sigh of relief.

Then living in fear that you forget to put it back in and dying a gurgling death by drowning!
rexi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´m with peconic puffin on this Smile

I like cold water sailing and since i started sailing through winter up here in Iceland i started improving and scoring proper DTL wavesailing more often.

Here is a short vid with low quality footage from some winter sailing, a few sessions there with temps from -3c to about 3c which is something like 27-37f ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUQdjpjOctY

IMG_1851.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.81 MB
 Viewed:  14334 Time(s)

IMG_1851.JPG

IMG_1580.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.44 MB
 Viewed:  14336 Time(s)

IMG_1580.JPG

manuel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some of us love the challenge. I windsurfed some pretty remote places in Colorado, Nebraska and Wyoming. A friend of mine who introduced me to Wheatland Reservoir Number 3 in Wyoming told me he woke up once to a blizzard after a day of sailing there. It was in October.

The problem I found with the extreme cold water is how bad it hurts the eyeballs and ballballs. Everything else wasn't really an issue.

EDIT: I forgot (it's been a while Very Happy !) but the additional issue was the "onglée," it stings like mad and can happen several times (thought it only happened once and that we'd be ok for a while but no).

adywind

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upper 50's air and ice free lakes in Illinois in January?!? Oh yes, bring it on-if only for a day!
01.21.17 Clinton Lake IL

IMG_1781.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.53 MB
 Viewed:  14245 Time(s)

IMG_1781.JPG

adywind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My winter solution presently is layering up under a 4/3 NP Nexus. There are no hooded full skin wetsuits on the market and the regular /jersey covered/ are not warm enough for me, regardless of thickness, because of the windchill. Double hoods, double boots and open palm mitts take care of the extremities and a 1.5 neo shirt and shorts give additional insulation to where it's needed most. You can fill a store with this things! Well maybe Santa will hear my prayers and put a Fuse under the tree next Christmas.
http://www.ion-products.com/water/men/wetsuits/fuse/drysuit-43-dl/
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a reference for temperatures, conditions and comfort:

Yesterday I sailed with friends in 44 degrees air, 41 water, full sun in 4.7 conditions. Drysuits booties gloves hoods. In these conditions nobody's hands get cold and there's no reason to take warmup breaks. We'll sail in colder (and with no full sun) and take the breaks to warm hands periodically, but 44/41/sun was perfectly comfortable (head dunks are still refreshing though!)

Admittedly the water (Great Peconic Bay) is warmer than usual for February...we're having the warmest February in history this winter. As often as not you can walk out onto the bay in February. This year we shred.

Drysuits expand the high wind season.

http://www.peconicpuffin.com/the_peconic_puffin/2017/02/february-shmebruary47-at-sebonac-inlet-yall.html

wdsurf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Cold weather sailing and staying warm Reply with quote

Yeah everyone got there own method that they found that works for them.sailed Lake Erie 2-25-17 with oneil 6-5-4 hooded suit with oneil 8oz. undergarments 7mm. oneil booties and ion 2.5 mm open palm mitts.36 deg. Air and 35 deg. Water 4.5 on 80 ltr Goya quad got 3.6 hr. Sailing just great for feb. or any time of year!!!!
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I worked in Aspen I sailed at Reudi Reservoir. Unbelievable beautiful, elevation was easy to remember 11,111. The warmest days the water was beyond cold.

I recall one particular day at Berkeley that while on the water it snowed, a freak squal passing , odd part that day as well a pelican tried to use my sail as a landing aid , most likely confused by the atmosphere change. No harm to bird nor sail.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: