myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
HARNESS LINE LENGTH and SEAT Harnesses
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamero

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
I keep forgetting the average age of this forums members. Hopefully there are some younger folks in the silent majority who can take advantage of my preachings.

I started windsurfing in the summer of 2013 at 36 and only just turned 40 this year. And it does feel a bit “preachy”.

adywind wrote:
I'm so glad for pushing this thread in the right direction.

Your enthusiasm is admirable. However, it is not the direction I was wanting this thread to go. This was supposed to be a simple thread. “Do you wear a seat harness? If so, what length are your harness lines?” Pretty straight forward.

adywind wrote:
We finally got to the bottom of it! Your problem is that you are sailing an oversized equipment for your weight

YOU got to the bottom of it. I was not looking for an answer to a problem that I do not have. I am more than comfortable on my gear. In fact, this last season I updated my quiver and downsized my board. My gear feels awesome now!

Shouldn’t a person know more before arriving at such conclusions. Such as: 1. Where I sail, 2. The conditions I sail in, 3. The type of windsurfing I am interested in, 4. My current progress level, 5. My sail quiver, 6. My board quiver, 7. What skills I am currently trying to learn. 8. The age and condition of my gear, 9. My health and fitness, 10. Who I sail with, etc. etc.

adywind wrote:
For some reason I DO care how people feel and look-its all connected and influences your overall wellbeing, your mojo if you like. But after all it's your own personal choice-take it or leave it.

I can see why some people might care how they feel and look. I’m not saying I don’t care about my image. Let‘s be honest, we all get a “rush” when we are carrying our sail down to the beach, or our board on our head when people are around. We think everyone on the shore is enviously looking at us; thinking how cool we are. When it comes down to it though, I choose what I NEED to feel COMFORTBALE, CONFIDENT, and SAFE on the WATER before anything else. Yes I wear a seat harness. I also wear a PFD (Impact vest). This is another reason I switched to a seat. A PFD interferes too much with a waste harness; and I will NEVER sail without a PFD. PERIOD!. I also wear a wetsuit, booties, Dakine sailing gloves, sunglasses, sunblock, an FCS sun hat or a helmet when it gets really windy or busy on the water. This is a PLETHORA of uncoolness!

Now, some cooler people would omit the above fashion accessories and risk, hypothermia, drowning, cut feet, sun burns, skin cancer, cataracts, and blisters. My risk tolerance and priorities are different. If that makes me uncool or a dork that’s fine. My BIGGEST thrills in windsurfing come from things like blasting in the straps for the first time, waterstarting for the first time, seeing a seal surface beside me, or windsurfing with my wife, rather than the fashion show on the beach. However, I’ve seen pictures of myself geared up on the water and I think I’m pretty damn cool! Way cooler than the people on the beach. My wife also windsurfs with me (we started at the same time). She wears this uncool gear also. She looks pretty damn awesome on the water as well as on shore!
mamero

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who have already posted their seat harness/harness line stats, Thank you. As a "general" guideline it is very helpful to me and I'm sure to other progressing windsurfers.

If you use a seat harness please continue posting your stats:

Height, (Weight, optional), Harness line length, Sail size.

Thank you.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I used to have a seat harness.... It restricts your movements and it doesn't promote an active riding style, which in turn will slow your progress considerably."

I have to call BS on this type of commentary, because it's absolutely untrue. The use of any harness type should be based on comfort, and given the fact that we're all a bit different in our shapes, to include our ability to take the stresses of windsurfing, that should be our true focus in choosing the best product.

In 1987, I went from a chest harness that really killed my back to a seat harness that totally eliminated any discomfort. When waist harnesses came out years later, I thought why should I move from a totally comfortable product to one that could stress out my back again. No thanks. Not only are waist harnesses far more expensive, but one thing that I've noticed is that most folks that use them are quick to take them off after getting off the water. I'm thinking that all the compression needed to keep them in place can be a bit constricting.

Lastly, the idea of the trendy "cool" look is ridiculous and foolish. Just think about young folks that wear their pants down so low that they have a hard time keeping their pants on. Fashion has little to do with comfort and mobility. When windsurfing, I always wear a Gath helmet, regardless of the wind conditions. It gives me the safety I need to feel confident and reasonably protected. If you've ever been hurt and suffered severe head trauma in active sports, you know what I mean.
adywind

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, thanks a lot! You just made me realize how much Im wasting my time. There are so many better tings to do in life! Good night and good luck!
Awalkspoiled

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5’11”, 230lb, relatively long arms, sailing since 1980. In flat or choppy water I use a Dakine Reflex after years of using an XTSeat. Both feature fairly low hooks. I use adjustable lines but they’re always pretty long by most people’s standards. Manufacturers differ in how they measure but from the boom to the hook with the lines under tension is 17”, so 34” lines is about right for maximum length (downwind, powered). I shorten them for long beats.

It seems to me that sailing style has the most to do with length preferences. If you sail in a “7” stance with your back lined up with your legs, your hips will be pretty high and very short lines will often work great. I prefer to drive with my legs and keep my upper body more or less vertical, and since I also like my hands just outside the lines - close together - and run my booms up around my eyes, my lines are long. If I’m really overpowered I’ll lower my booms and also shorten my lines. In waves I use a chest harness and very short lines.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamero,

My line length with my seat harness won't help as I use adjustable lines when using the seat with my Kona or formula board.

As for a PFD with my waist harness I use the Neil Pryde High Hook PFD. The NP High Hook is designed to fit over a waist harness & works quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMW3yiJ3JXY

Coachg
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamero wrote:
This was supposed to be a simple thread. “Do you wear a seat harness? If so, what length are your harness lines?” Pretty straight forward.

But by itself pretty useless, given the myriad other inseparable factors.

mamero wrote:
we all get a “rush” when we are carrying our sail down to the beach, or our board on our head when people are around. We think everyone on the shore is enviously looking at us; thinking how cool we are.

That never even occurred to me. I'm surrounded by a hundred OTHER windsurfers, so nobody's impressed. Like you, "I choose what I NEED to feel COMFORTBALE, CONFIDENT, and SAFE on the WATER before anything else."

Scott once asked me if I realized how stupid my neoprene hood looked with my ears protruding through the ear holes I cut out of it and my black-framed prescription sports glasses poking out the front. "Yup, but it works" as I flashed the dumbest grin I could muster.

"Well, as long as you know."

I've always felt sorry for people who deliberately try to look cool. (It comes naturally to me.) Very Happy
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5-7, 135 lbs. XT Seat harness, 30" fixed lines, straps way out. Very similar specs to you mamero.
mamero

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluefish1 wrote:
5-7, 135 lbs. XT Seat harness, 30" fixed lines, straps way out. Very similar specs to you mamero.

Thank you bluefish1. When you say "straps way out" are you referring to the distance between the attachment points on the boom?
kmf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5'6" 155 lbs, XT seat harness, waffling between 26" and 28" mono lines. Gorge sailer, sizes 3.4 to 5.5 sailworks. sailing on a 7'11 custom Open Ocean, 80 ltr. and a 87 ltr RRD FSW board, (2013)

Kmf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 5 of 17

Jump to: