myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New Hampshire Sailing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edoremus337

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: New Hampshire Sailing Reply with quote

Hey everyone,
I recently moved up to New Hampshire, around Portsmouth, and am looking for some help on finding the 'go-to' spots in this area. The cape is a solid 2.5hrs from me now so its a bit of a stretch. Has anyone sailed around here?
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cold water, huge tides.... google sat the South side of Merrimack River just before it goes into the ocean bit of a beach to launch at. The beaches get crazy busy in the summer and parking can $30+ best bet will be mid week.
ssegal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seabrook harbor is the closest sailing spot. SW,W,NW all work well but
tide can be an issue if you are not familiar with the launch.
There used to be a few windsurfers out on any windy day but now there are only a couple of us that sail there. This place can be great when it is on!! There are 2 main channels to sail depending on the tide, the front channel is good when the tide is coming in but can be an issue when the tide is going out. Extremely strong tidal current and can suck you out through the harbor and under the bridge. Usually not life threatening but would be a major hassle and long swim. Never happened to me but has to some of my sailing buddies.
The back channel can be awesome when the stars line up, incredible speed runs hugging right next to the marsh shoreline with smoking speed jibes.
Low tide there is a sandbar that runs 3/4 the length of the harbor and sometimes you need to sail/hike to the back channel.
Parking is limited in the summer but not a problem till Memorial Day.

Pine Point in Old Orchard, ME is a great place to sail on a E,SE,S,SW.
The beach is on the North end of Old Orchard and sometimes has chest high breaking waves with some shore break but usually not a problem. There is a tidal river on the Northern part of the beach and adds a little variety to the sailing, sometimes the wind is slightly stronger past the jetty in the river.
The only down side to this place is the lack of wind. When it is on here it is as good as anyplace on the Cape. Has similar conditions to Chapin outside the sandbar with great swell and waves.
Great parking and warm showers, free up until Memorial Day and then just $10.00 a day to park.

Hope to see you out sailing!
montignp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen people sailing in Hampton Harbor, no experience myself but it looks like a good spot.

Some discussion on here:
http://iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14761&sid=16972a411269b1baa1e571fc4a363388

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20716
edoremus337

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks everyone. I'll check out seabrook harbor after work soon if the wind is right. Seems like a tricky spot to sail, but sounds like it is fun if the conditions are right. If this warm weather keeps up the cold water shouldn't be too big of a problem.

I'll be driving a grey GMC canyon, if any of you see me, say hi! It would be great to meet some local sailors in the area.
mnichols

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: NH sailing Reply with quote

Sad to say, sailing around here will not be like the cape during July and August.

As ssegal said Pine Point is a great place. The swells are a blast and if you like the shore break that's is good to, but that's when it's windy there. We do not have as much wind around NH and Maine as we probably all would like. I think Pine Point is best when it is mostly a southerly direction. Before going check marine forecast and iwindsurf including buoys and the airport.

Also as said Hampton Harbor is the closest place to you. Not as many sailors as in past years. The tide is fast going as it gets closer to low tide and as the tide changes to low sandbars can be an issue, I have hit them there. We did park parallel to the guardrails at one time, but there are "No Parking" signs along the guard rails now. You will have to park further down.

Maine also had Fort Foster in Kittery, I believe. I have sailed there years ago but I don't think any sailors sail there any more.

If you head north on the Sapulding Highway and as you go through the Dover toll look to your left and you will see part of Great bay. It used to be a popular site you could reach from route 4. Its a brackish muddy water only good when the tide is high. Have not seen any one there in years.

If the wind is North Northwest or West you can come sail with what is left of the group that sails on Winnisquam in Laconia NH on Gale Avenue. Check Iwindsurf before going.

I still plan on going to the cape or Lake Champlain VT during the months of Jully and August, when it seems to have a lack of wind.
zeppy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not familiar with NH and Maine sites, but Nahant, MA is also a good spot, especially for wave sailing when the conditions line up and its only about an hour from you. It works in most wind directions, except East is dead onshore.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the area Seadawg is referring to is the northern tip of Plum Island.
It is the mouth of the Merrimack River. As you face North you would launch to left and sail up the river so to speak. I believe the area is called Joppa Flats.
Essentially you would be headed up to Newburyport Harbor. It is a tidal dependent area. I don't know how the parking situation is in the summer.
It serves charter boat and shore line fishing. A great spot when the wind is out of the North as I recall. It has been a very long time since I sailed there. I do recall some fin eating rocks on the left hand shore line
You do have some nice surfing/SUP surfing spots nearbye.
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hampshire Sailing Reply with quote

edoremus337 wrote:
Hey everyone,
I recently moved up to New Hampshire, around Portsmouth, and am looking for some help on finding the 'go-to' spots in this area. The cape is a solid 2.5hrs from me now so its a bit of a stretch. Has anyone sailed around here?

I sail inland NH. Mostly Mascoma (N, NW, SE) and Sunapee (S, SW) lakes, occasionally go to VT side of Lake Champlain. PM me if interested to join sometime.

Andrei.
fox

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssegal wrote:
Pine Point in Old Orchard, ME is a great place to sail on a E,SE,S,SW...
and W ,NW, N, and NE

ssegal wrote:
breaking waves with some shore break but usually not a problem.
shore break usually just around high tide, rarely impenetrable

ssegal wrote:
the wind is slightly stronger past the jetty in the river..
When the tide is going out against the wind, "less wind" if tide is coming in with the wind

ssegal wrote:
The only down side to this place is the lack of wind.
yup, it's Maine, not Maui...

some more info here http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=92&siteID=104&Isection=Local+Info
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: