myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
where to windsurf with baby and non windsurfing wife
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bprice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a local regular to the San Simeon (Arroyo Laguna) area, I would NOT recommend it to a sailor with his limited abilities. Yes, the area around it is wonderful in so many ways, but the conditions would not be safe, IMO.

A little further south, however, is Lopez Lake just east of the town of Arroyo Grande. Warm fresh water with conditions perfect for his sailing abilities. Lots of family things to do in the area just like what you mentioned about San Simeon except that it is typically warm. I spent many a summers day with my wife and 3 babies at this lake and would often camp there even though I live only minutes away.
witnov

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't rule out Flores Lake (stay at the Bed and Breakfast <floraslake.com > if they've got vacancy) knock out your water starts and get some experience with foot straps. You can easily learn Water starts on Maui (at Sprecks) but I don't think you're going to like high winds and chop which require short boards (straps) and smaller sails.... water starts and foot straps kinda come first.

Lopez has water but one friend (who goes there the most) believes end of July will be a little low on water... wind has been unreal. Good place for strap work, not so good for waterstarting... too much wind variability near shore...

STRONG SUGGESTION: DON'T DRIVE FOR SAILING ON MAUI. SPEND MONEY TO BE ON THE BEACH WITH LOTS OF EQUIPMENT... PREVIOUS COMMENT TO USE MATT PRITCHARD WAS A GOOD RECOMMENDATION.. PERHAPS FOR EVERYTHING..

pritchardwindsurfing.com (I just used him for the first time and he was totally fair, instructive, and funny!)
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a local Lopez lake regular I think this would be a great place to stay and sail. A typical day is a 5.5 to 6.5 with warm water and air. I haven't use a wet suit since the end of April. Week days are great, weekend pretty busy. Camping is nice but you can not stay near the launch. Avlia beach is a wind and fog protected spot with a nice little town with good hotels. Its always 10 degrees or more warmer than Pismo beach. 20 min to the lake. bprice is an excellent wave sailor and he knows the wind and water conditions at Arroyo laguna. I would heed is advice and stay away until you progress in your windsurfing skills. the water level at Lopez is ok as long as you can stay up wind just a little...
bprice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another mellow 6-7.0 day yesterday at Lopez... perfect for learning. Flat warm water for sailing and happy families playing on the sandy beach.

Lopez mellow.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  366.41 KB
 Viewed:  15847 Time(s)

Lopez mellow.JPG

jpf18

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Hatteras Reply with quote

dglynn wrote:

I can sail in up to 20 knots with 6.0 sail, can use a harness, but can't water start or use straps

July now might be tough on such short notice, but you may get lucky finding a rental on Hatteras or camping at Frisco Woods. Soundside, you get waist deep water, sandy bottom a mile out, so you can work on your waterstart without spending much energy swimming. Fly in and out of ORF, rental car there then rental gear at one of the places: Avon Sail Loft, Windsurfing Hatteras, HISS, Fox Watersports, there used to be a couple three more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: