myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best beginner Foil Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J64TWB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m confused. I thought this foil stuff was a complete game changer for light winds? I get going in around 12-13 mph on my sluggish 72 wide 130L funride using a 7.5 retro. I'm a light 140lbs sailor. This is passively without pumping (don’t do).

Are you guys saying I would only gain about 2-3 mph using light wind foil gear? Any idea what a 140lb sailor could expect?
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nm

Last edited by dvCali on Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
LUCARO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, the bigger the wing the less sail needed to get flying but the lower top end.

The foil allows me to fly earlier than I normally would plane on a similar size sail, and I can fly through lulls that I could not plane through. However, if I was willing to ride formula gear maybe I could achieve the same thing.

In light air the larger wings have a lower top end so, when the freestyle guys can plane they will often be faster. To beat them I would probably need a smaller wing and more sail power.
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluefish1 wrote:
I’m confused. I thought this foil stuff was a complete game changer for light winds? I get going in around 12-13 mph on my sluggish 72 wide 130L funride using a 7.5 retro. I'm a light 140lbs sailor. This is passively without pumping (don’t do).

Are you guys saying I would only gain about 2-3 mph using light wind foil gear? Any idea what a 140lb sailor could expect?

Bluefish: there is a law on diminishing returns going on. If you can get going in 10-11 knots with a 7.5 and a sluggish board (congratulations!) you should be able to get going in 7-8 knots with some foil set up ... but not much lower ... if you are starting low you will hit a barrier: below 6 knots it starts to be VERY VERY VERY hard even for kite-foils.

And yes, the gain is larger for heavy weights. But a light weight can do some amazing things on a foil. Last week I witnessed an Isonic 121 + 8.4 sail + about 180# sailor, against a guy who might be 150 on a Modified Miks'e Lab Kitefoil board converted to windfoil and a, get ready, 3.0 sail. Guess who won?

I am 158 pounds. With my Isonic 111 and Switchblade 7.3 I get on a plane more or less at the same time when a friend of mine foils, he is at 200 pounds with a 6.3. He has better glide, even with 40 pounds disadvantage. i drop off a plane and the foil keeps going. Put him on a slalom board and it would not work with anything less than a 8.5.

He shaved off 2 square meters from his rig, and you might to because you would never be able to sail in sub 10 knots with a 7.5 square meters sail.
SergioKapul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...
Wide >82 cm and short 206-212 board shape makes it easier to get in air and to control the flight. And wide doesn't mean that you need bigger sail, but you have an option to use bigger sail for better upwind, downwind angle and speed. If your foil is good, and many are crap, your take off from 0 speed to in air on foil should take under 5 sec.
rtz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are known good or bad foils?
SergioKapul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question, known bad foils... There's
No official list that I'm aware of. Foil industry is new, complex and marketing
by main brands makes choice not very easy. In Miami
we run weekly clinic, sometimes we get top PWA guys jump on the course. Also, we have a very healthy local fleet of winffoils, many brands. So, I have very good idea what makes freeride/race foil good/bad. Now we're jumping into wave foil design, very exciting...
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started foiling because after 36 years of windsurfing I got bored with big gear and lite wind. My big sail now is a 5.7 but mostly use a 5.2 or a 4.7 when foiling. Windsurfing I would have needed a 6.5 or bigger to go in the same wind. Foiling is a new fun ride. For me at 68 years old. I don't care how fast I go. Just want to have fun and fly around. I'm pretty good at pumping and turning down wind in order to get the foil up. So my low wind limit might be different than others who don't. Like windsurfing the low wind limit has a lot to do with skill for a given sail size. Now we get to add front wing size and shape to the mix. All that said, I think the low wind limit is only going down in the next few years.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtz wrote:
What are known good or bad foils?

Nothing really "bad" on the market since 2018. But "good" depends on your purpose, ability and budget.

For me I want a foil that needs little power, turns nicely, works on my normal freeride board and has stable pitch control. The bigger "surf" style wings fit that.
SergioKapul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the light wind windfoiling topic:
To get going in ultra light conditions, skill, weight of rider,
Board, good foil design, large wings, mast and fusilage size all in play. My current set up is custom Tillo board 206*86cm and
Freeride Carbon Tillo foil, 1.5 years old. I'm 5'6" 135 lb, once in a while new starboard (see below) can take off into flight quicker than I with a very good rider on it and bigger sail. For light wind I use 7.0m2 slalom, soon to be upgraded to 6.5 dedicated foil sail Avanti
By light wind, I mean 6-9kn, with some lulls in 4-5.
Out of current production offerings, the current champ is
Starboard carbon race pro with 100cm new front wing. Tillo is almost ready to release it's competitor, that might perform even better. I did some early testing, was impressed enough to place an
Order. Hoping to shave off another knot of the low wind foiling thrashhold.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: