myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board repairs in the gorge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a failing loose footstrap insert, outside of the soft deck around it, you need to do a fairly significant repair to get it right. The idea that you can inject material under the deck to resolve things is well short of what needs to be done. In my view, using Gorilla glue is laughable.

Is Gorilla glue actually used in the manufacture of boards? I don't think so.

You need to think deeper and spend a bit more time embracing The Boardlady's more credible view of things.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
Isn't Cascade still around?

I don't normally mention shop names when complaining about them, but in this case it's warranted. After the Gorge Animal guru Lester Polyester moved to Brazil, I had Cascade/Gary make me a couple of Bonzers under license from Les. I said "The hell with weight; make them bombproof."

The first hull completely fell apart after a few sessions, with the last 2 or 3 feet of underbelly and fin box coming right off the board. Gary fixed it. That lasted less than one session before another total failure. He tried again: One session. Third try, one session. I threw it away and fired up the other one. Within days it had huge ripples, more like rail-to-rail waves, from end to end. I sold it to a featherweight non-jumper for $75, with full disclosure and a permanent money-back guarantee. Last time I saw him he was raving about it.

The permanent cure? Swap meets. Plenty of genuine Bonzers (and scores of other makes and models) there, including just three days ago.
30knotwind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre is still taking jobs. Phew!
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason the clear has produced far better repairs for me.

It binds well to both divinycell and EPS. For crushed EPS (soft board) it fills the gaps between cells provided there aren't huge hollows.

If the divinycell is broken or crushed then it won't work. Likewise inserts need more work.
vbr1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
westender wrote:
Isn't Cascade still around?

I don't normally mention shop names when complaining about them, but in this case it's warranted. After the Gorge Animal guru Lester Polyester moved to Brazil, I had Cascade/Gary make me a couple of Bonzers under license from Les. I said "The hell with weight; make them bombproof."

The first hull completely fell apart after a few sessions, with the last 2 or 3 feet of underbelly and fin box coming right off the board. Gary fixed it. That lasted less than one session before another total failure. He tried again: One session. Third try, one session. I threw it away and fired up the other one. Within days it had huge ripples, more like rail-to-rail waves, from end to end. I sold it to a featherweight non-jumper for $75, with full disclosure and a permanent money-back guarantee. Last time I saw him he was raving about it.

The permanent cure? Swap meets. Plenty of genuine Bonzers (and scores of other makes and models) there, including just three days ago.

I am aware that telling a person like you to shut your ignorant mouth is a waste of time but when you disrespect a shaper and board builder as experienced and fantastic as Gary I really have to tell you that you have gone too far.

Your story is a complete fabrication and you know it.

Gary is the one of the most honest and forthright shapers the Gorge has ever seen and I can tell you first hand he would have given you your money back if you were unhappy with his work. He didn't have to because you are off with the fairies in lala land
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, dude, but I don't lie/fabricate. How is stating facts "disrespectful"? Their most obvious error was repeatedly layering the new hull patches with the front edges stacked up along one straight line ... no staggering/feathering of the reinforcement. This concentrates the load along one line rather than dispersing it. I've never seen this done, and it worked about as well as expected.

Why the original construction failed so totally (e.g., fin box coming out, rear bottom peeling off, rear rails falling completely apart (I could slide my hand into one of the three boards), and/or deep ripples from rail to rail from nose to tail) on three new boards escapes me. So does their repeatedly repairing the hull as described above. Did he farm the work out without telling me? If so, why didn't he catch on and perform second and third and fourth repairs correctly?

If it had been a one-time problem, fixed properly, I'd chalk it up to "Crap Happens" and keep it between Gary and myself, but those oft-repeated experiences are not excusable. I bought three new boards, built for durability rather than light weight, that completely failed (the third one snapped in two within days despite my letting them cure as per Gary's instructions), and I don't get a nickel back for any of them? Within a year of buying all three, I threw one away and sold the other two, watertight but obviously flawed, for a total of less than $200 with full disclosure. (I often buy trashed boards just to try them out before trying to find a good one. It's much cheaper than trying to demo a board.)

Last edited by isobars on Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
vbr1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so you speak the truth. My apologies.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
With a failing loose footstrap insert, outside of the soft deck around it, you need to do a fairly significant repair to get it right. The idea that you can inject material under the deck to resolve things is well short of what needs to be done. In my view, using Gorilla glue is laughable.

Is Gorilla glue actually used in the manufacture of boards? I don't think so.

You need to think deeper and spend a bit more time embracing The Boardlady's more credible view of things.

Wow, it’s not even April fools any more. Steve while some of us have been using Marine grade Epoxys, glass, carbon, Kevlar, all this while we could have gone to Walmart for glue, drill a few holes and kabam, instant bomb proof repairs.

What were you and I thinking ?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
westender

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laugh all you want. My board builder used it to repair the deck on my 1997 OO 6 ??? years ago. Still going strong and it's my #1 board. YMMV. Rolling Eyes
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intentionally left blank

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/

Last edited by U2U2U2 on Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: