myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wave Sailing--Planing out--Board Volume ;Sail Size
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chophop

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Wave Sailing--Planing out--Board Volume ;Sail Size Reply with quote

I like to plane, not slog and I am not great at slogging. I am working on my slogging skills.

I got a big (105 l) Goya thruster for those really light wave sailing days.
It works well with a 5.3 to allow planning in a certain wind speed-- maybe 13-16 mph where I might not be able to plane with a smaller board, even a 94 l.

I can also water start it in lighter winds-- at the very edge of water startable conditions; maybe like 10 mph. Of course, at a certain low wind speed it is not going to plane and at 10 -11 mph it is all i can do to slog and stay up wind I have no maneuverability to move around and catch and ride waves, or get back up wind if I do get a wave.

My question is whether you need to scale up the sail size too to help account for the very obvious greater drag of a huge board? The bigger fins and greater wetted surface seem to actually take a good of power to move.

Also in those super low wind conditions where water starting can be difficult to impossible will drastically lowering the boom help you to get the sail more upright and get you up on to the board?

Thanks

Very Happy
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends.
Can you afford a 6.5 wave sail breaking the mast when you fall?
When does size offset turning?
How much gear can you carry and willingly rig?
Lots of top pros use 6.2's on their biggest boards.
Less down and out can make up .5 when underpowered.
Bigger sailors go as big as 7.0, but breakage is a problem.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Florida, guys ride waves with 150 SUP's rigged with 7 meter sails.
On a long ago trip to Punta Abreojos, one of the guys rode his 205 liter board with his 7.4 fully cammed slalom sail, and rode DTL from outside point to the Fed Marine Base and kicked out just before the closeout shorebreak, at least 10 frontside bottom turns and cutbacks off the top.
Where should the line be drawn?
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get upwind against current and sideshore winds, dedicate half your wave count to strictly upwind going backside and toss in a few shove-its when bored.
Adjust as needed.
As for boomheight...you set your boom height for the best combination of all factors, sailing ease, comfort, and performance. Should u lower your boom to compromise all of the above?
Or maybe grab the mast halfway down your boomhead and go for the foot of the sail with the other hand.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in a light wind, crummy-wave area and I do most of my wave and bump and jump style sailing with a 6.8 aerotech phantom on my 106 liter fsw board. The extra horsepower is really helpful. I went a long time where I used a 6.4 as my go-to sail, and that was fine, too. Better to be planing than COMplaining. Smile If the wind gets too light to plane consistently with the 6.8 but the waves are still OK, I'll put it on a WindSUP board.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

take a look at my fb pics. rarely on something smaller than a 5.8 and 105 liter.

my fb pic is me doing a backside aerial off the lip. cross onshore makes for more challenging to plane conditions. gotta go full throttle with big stuff most of the time. i am 6'3" and 205 pounds. i like to be lit.

https://www.facebook.com/john.ingebritsen?ref=bookmarks

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must sail around other riders, how do they manage? Do you have sideon conditions? 5.8 power sail will be much stronger than a 5.3 wave sail. 105 is perfect. As for the waterstart, so long as the sail catches the wind when you throw it up, 8 knots is enough for 5.0. Next waterstart video coming soon!
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

given my size and location, 6.2 to 7.5 are the most common wave sailing choices i make. i use a planing long board lots too.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
capetonian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the location you are sailing. If there’s a channel so you don’t need to go over broken waves, then slogging with a 5.3 is easy. But if you have to get over white water then sail power helps. Not necessarily enough power to plane, but definitely enough to pop over the white water. And if it’s cross onshore then you pretty much have to be planing to have a chance of getting out. Currents also impact the amount of sail power you need.

I spent a lot of time in Hawaii and other good wavesailing spots before moving to Florida. It took me 4 years of frustration to learn that I was better off with a 7.0 and a 116 L FSW (I’m 180 lbs) and just be grateful for the semi wave riding wiggles I do on the waves here, and keep my wave board and smaller sails for trips to Hawaii or Pistol River.
capetonian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your board floats you, get an up haul. I’ve had amazing slog and ride sailing in spots with a channel where the only way to get going again was to uphaul.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: