myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foiling rear foot strap
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stringp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Foiling rear foot strap Reply with quote

Anyone using rear foot straps of Slingshot gear? Rear foot strap seems WAY back there with the foil in C position. Currently riding with the back foot touching the front of the rear strap. Going to be a leap of faith to get in the rear strap.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of the better guys here have removed the rear straps on their SS boards. I don't have on either
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I like a rear strap is if I'm going for maximum upwind angle. Since that's rarely a goal I just leave them in the car.

Maybe if I get good/crazy enough to jump it I'll start putting them back on.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder, when too high or close to breaching, can we pull UP on the rear strap? Just wondering, I usually just breach and go full gymnastics to save it, using too much energy and mental anguish.
bert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this on my foilboard..allows for plenty of foot play yet gives you something to push against when you need to.

foil straps.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.03 MB
 Viewed:  20417 Time(s)

foil straps.jpg

stringp

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thinking about this from Wyatt:
For footsteps, I suggest all the way forward with the front straps, and one hole from the rear in the back straps. Some folks don’t like to use the back strap, but just like your normal windsurfing learning process, at first you can’t seem to get in the back strap and it feels awkward, but once you do get used to using the back strap…you will never go back and it will seem crazy that for a while you did not use them.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I got in my rear (and front) strap before even trying to foil gave me noticeably better command of the board once it rose up and began its crazy lateral oscillations. My next tweak is to mount my 13" footstraps pre-twisted towards the center so my back foot, when strapped in, is centered not far from the centerline. Never having sailed a WSer with dual (let alone outboard) rear straps, this just seems more natural to me, and may alleviate my tendency to swerve upwind instantly.

And to think some dealers claim foiling will be natural within a few hours!
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw a really stable foiler using just REAR straps, no fronts installed!
Guess any way can work.
Good foiljiber here uses half straps only in front.
Watched a lightweight on foil jiber takes his back, then front foot back, out of straps to airjibe strapless.
westwind737

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sail generally causes a nose-down leverage which increases when your apparent wind increases (such as when being powered upwind). To balance this nose-down leverage, the back foot needs to be moved aft to counter with a nose-up leverage.

The center of lift of the wing must be behind the system's Center of Gravity (CG). The wing causes a nose-down leverage, the stabilizer a countering nose-up leverage. When moving the wing to the "C" position (max forward) on this set-up, the distance between the wing's lift and CG is reduced, which reduces the nose-down leverage of the wing (which is why increasing the front foot pressure becomes critical). If this arm becomes too small (CG too close to the wing) the system becomes unstable in pitch.

Generally, expect to have to move your back foot back while riding upwind (the more powered, the more the foot needs to be moved back). Conversely, expect to have to ride with your back foot forward when riding across the wind or further downwind (decreasing apparent wind, decreasing nose-down leverage of your sail).

Hope this helps and isn't overly technical Smile

Alex
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
I wonder, when too high or close to breaching, can we pull UP on the rear strap? Just wondering, I usually just breach and go full gymnastics to save it, using too much energy and mental anguish.

Push the mast forward like the joystick in a plane.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: