myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
10 secrets to a faster waterstart, must watch!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: 10 secrets to a faster waterstart, must watch! Reply with quote

Enjoy Smile !

alap

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you!

helicopter swimming - interesting, never heard about this. not sure I need it, but interesting

point 5 and 6 - waterstarting in light wind - I heard about this but it is impossible for me. my body doesn't want to bend! But you bring couple good points -like rolling, sinking the tail, positioning the foot of the sail over centerline, using your back foot as a step. Not sure this will help me...

Q about this light air waterstart. Say you on 75 liter+4.5 or 90 liter+5.0
Can you pull this waterstart in say 10 knots of wind?? What is a limit?

and say you in the same 10 knots on say 130 liter+7.0. Can you waterstart like this ? (tail is not sinking)

And if you allow, one advice. The tempo of your vid is too fast. It should be 3x longer.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alap wrote:
helicopter swimming - interesting, never heard about this. not sure I need it, but interesting ...

I've discussed it here for decades as an indispensable alternative to swimming the gear around to the waterstart position. Swimming is virtually unnecessary in WSing unless your gear blows away or the wind dies AND you actually NEED to be somewhere else.

alap wrote:
my body doesn't want to bend!

Someone will suggest stretching, but its benefits, if any, accrue VERY slowly (months) and are very short-lived if stopped. Keep it up or don't bother except maybe on a trial basis. If you can lick your knees (I can, and do NO stretching except for injury rehab) you're plenty flexible to waterstart as he shows.
alap

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just tried to lick my knees on the floor. No way!
unless I pull this leg towards me with the hand.
as for heli-swimming I definitely will try, out of curiosity...
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All heli-swimming (actually, no swimming involved) involves is grabbing your gear, straightening your body out horizontally just below the surface, and driving your straight body and legs in a full circle* until your gear is oriented as desired. 2-4 full circles is normally plenty.

* You'll kick the fin (or foil!) only once before learning that lesson.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alap wrote:
just tried to lick my knees on the floor. No way!
unless I pull this leg towards me with the hand.

That's allowed. After all, you will have your sail pulling you towards the board.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAIT JUST A GOL-DANG MINUTE, MANUEL!

YOU CAN REST YOUR BOOM ON YOUR BOARD'S TAIL??!!

Tip 3 PROVES that you, sir, can't even windsurf at all. You're totally clueless about it, and you even provided video proof of it without embarrassment. Don't you know that, by decree of every self-appointed "expert" here, it is MANDATORY to run your booms up around forehead height and thus insure that your booms are WAY too high to do this?

At least that, in scores of ways, is their response when I suggest running our booms where the hell WE want to run them. Sad

And to top that off, your harness lines don't look 32" long. What a doofus! It's THEIR mandates ... er, persondates -- not your preferences, that matter.

Now, about the color of your board shorts, your choice of footstraps, and your harness brand ...

Sheesh!
outcast

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Vid Manuel ...

I really like it...I think you left out one biggie though....Clew first waterstarts will get you going when you don't wanna flip

Lightest possible?...get it flying..if you cant fly it from the foot and base, you're done and need to uphaul....but if you can....work your way down the mast...grab uphaul or hold harness lines....or both......crawl/flop onto the board, and grab the foot and low mast...keep gravity low and centered....slowly climb up the mast from a crouch

manuel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the nice feedback!

My limit is 10 knots for 4.5 and 8 with 5.0. I need the wind to catch the sail after I throw it up. It's really tough as I need to swim upward to keep it flying. Below this wind threshold, I rotate my gear, climb up, crouch down pushing with my heels tilting the board back to raise the mast out of the water. Then, I grab the mast and slowly get up. And finally I need to do a throw to catch the foot of the sail or the boom with my back hand. That's all circus work, I do swim back in offshore 0-4 knots!

I often waterstarted my 9.2 and never had issue. I found it easy to get good pull from bigger sails. Smaller gear in crazy winds was more challenging (gear wants to rotate, waves catching clew, etc.) Overpowered small gear is easier to handle once we build some momentum.

I recommend setting the board under the foot of the sail, not the boom. It can be misleading since I don't have a sail for the dry demo! But The board must be pushed past the boom. The foot of the sail helps prevent the board from flipping upside down and by centering it over the straps, it makes it easier to orient the board with the sail.

Regarding the light wind, we need to get the sail up first. Then, we use our feet to tilt the board back towards us (can be near 90° to the water). The position now looks like crouching down with arms straight in front of us). Then, we can have the sail tilt to the other side and have its leverage lift us.

Clew-first tip is a bit combined in the last tip (be proactive and keep the sail flying). I find clew first a bit more demanding in terms of conditions quality or min sail power but excellent for styling points!

There's an hour long waterstart video out there detailing the maneuver perfectly. My vid is rather meant to outline the most important tips and particularly more rare ones. Anyone is welcome to use the various speeds available on the YouTube player and watch the video several times Smile !

Please do continue providing quality feedback, this video was truly meant for anyone. I do intend on revealing more secrets of other maneuvers in the future. Hint: I recently have finally learned how to use a waist harness!!!

alap

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so yest. it was a rare find - 3.9 on 75 liters
Plenty of opportunities for waterstarting

At one moment I decided to try this heliswim... In 10 seconds this idea evaporated.

Because... the mast was into the wind, and I said to myself, what the fuss, just waterstart.

Later I realised something and want to doublecheck. This heliswim is suggested for the situation that the mast is pointing downwind? So the suggestion is to dive under, grab the boom from beneath, ?
So in process you kinda are positioning your self three feet under? And then in this position to start rotating like a snake?

If so, no thank you! I'd rather swim slowly, relaxing, for 30 seconds. Plus I am not sure that in the wet suit and with life jacket I would be able to do this...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: