myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ezzy Hydra or Sailworks Flyer?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wernerhickey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Ezzy Hydra or Sailworks Flyer? Reply with quote

Quite different in their approaches - Flyer has 2 cams Hydra has no cams for a start. I am looking at 8 and above. Interested in people thoughts, especially if you have used both. Usual conditions around 10 knots give or take 3 either way. I have an Isonic 160 and a SB Supercruiser, which has now hooked me in my current location. Looking to buy now Smile
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sails are you using with your foil setup now and how do you feel about them?
wernerhickey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James, I have a Sailworks NX 8.5 which works but feels too locked in. I also have a worn-out 8.1 North S type which feels better as it is looser and depowers. I can access both the Ezzy and the Sailworks dedicated foil sails - the Ezzy is cheaper but I wonder if going no cams is a good idea as it will mostly be light winds here. Whatever the decision I am planning to change out everything to one brand - I do like Sailworks used them for many years in earlier days but hear good things about Ezzy and here they are well priced but take longer to obtain.
jlooby

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a SW Flyer 8.2 and really like it (no experience with the ezzy hydra).
Compared to my Ezzy Cheetah 8.0:
- waaay lighter (ways about the same as a 6.0). Lightweight is very important for foiling because you are 'holding' the sail more than regular fin windsurfing
- great for pumping and lulls
- very locked in - amazing low end power and control for foiling
- great customer support (sailworks sent me different cams to use for really lightwind settings) (Ezzy has similar great customer service whenever I've had a question)
- pricing was much better than the ezzy hydra here in Canada

It is a superior sail for foiling compared to the cheetah
My only concern with the flyer is its longevity - its so light I'm doubtful it will last very long but I am hopeful.
Joe
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an story in one of the mag that discussed this. Their take was the cam sails were better if you didn't mine rigging a bit bigger and didn't want to pump. No cam sails were better if you wanted to use the smallest sail possible and didn't mine pumping to get on foil. I think this was based on smaller sails.
wernerhickey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Novaan - interesting, it is kind of counter-intuitive but I guess it makes sense - the no cams are more powerful for pumping I assume. I am also concerned about build quality(these both have good reps) - it's depressing when a new sail starts to deteriorate soon into use. This was a factor in rejecting another brand available locally base on observation. The gear seems to be splitting between speed and cruising(I am the latter).
wernerhickey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, Joe is there anything in particular that you are concerned about with the durability of the sail?
jlooby

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No specific concerns - its very well built and all x-ply.

It's just super light (check out the specs - a 8.2 flyer weighs slightly less than a 6.5 retro!).
Where I sail we get really tough shorebreak so I am concerned I could get caught by a wave and do some damage.

I leave my sails rigged all season so I avoid rigging & derigging wear and tear (but probably stretch out the sail somewhat).

Joe
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...the no cams are more powerful for pumping I assume. "

Actually, I believe that it's the other way around with cambered sails being more powerful when pumped. On top of that, you get significantly better windward ability, especially when using an SDM. Yet, no cam sails definitely have their strong pluses in easy rigging and better durability in surf and tougher launching conditions.

Regarding the two brand models you're interested in, I have no experience with either of them. However, I do have a couple Sailworks sails, and I've been very impressed with their performance and build quality. On the other hand, I've never owned an Ezzy sail, but I know many folks are dedicated to the brand and swear by them.

The one thing that stands out in a questionable way to me is the unusual design layout of the Hydra. Quite honestly, it would be a bit too unusual for me, but maybe the outsized boom length offers notable benefits that others can highlight, particularly when it comes to foiling performance.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you freeride foiling or course slalom?
Good handling for FR and cams for course work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: