myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best beginner Foil Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ittiandro wrote:
This is in the end how my windsurfing story has unfolded so far: caught in the shortboard and planing craze and unable to enter this " paradise" partly because of my skills but also because of the prevailing light wind conditions, I wasted money in buying one shortboard after the other, in the hope to find the " best" one, to eventually find out that planing and shortboarding here ( mostly with 10-12 knts winds) is like trying to sell a refrigerator to an Inuit in the North Pole..
Eventually I bought an 11 ft Bic Behemoth ( sort of wind-adapted paddleboard) with which at least I windsurf when others can't..., albeit at the price of a slow pace and..some boredom when winds are really slow.

With foiling, I hope to break this barrier ( if I don't break something else when falling from a height of 85 cm..), but I take risks and at my age I have nothing to lose, even $ 400 is not a big deal, should I find out that foiling is not for me ...

You are about to repeat your shortboard story with foiling. In 10-12 knots, 85 kg beginners do not have a chance to learn foiling on the NP RS:One foil. Guys that report they can foil in such low wind are generally advanced foilers, and often very good windsurfer and/or quite light. I have been at races with about this much wind where a dozen guys tried to foil. The only guys with some success were racers with 10 m sails and big race foils. The 10 or so guys on various freeride foils were slogging around the course. Those were all guys with decent skills and bigger foils than the RS:One.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ittiandro wrote:
I want to be sure before buying.

That's not going to happen; too many variables.

As for "I have nothing to lose, even $ 400 is not a big deal, should I find out that foiling is not for me" ... That's how I approached foiling: as a gamble with controllable downside and a potentially big payoff. For a net buy/sell cost of a few hundred dollars, my experiment was well worth the experience and I passed my killer deal on to the fellow who bought mine. A few hundred bucks is a pretty low price for ending the agony over the dilemma. I put in enough research up front to give my experiment high odds of success, and am firmly convinced that my conclusion was valid not even counting unexpected factors beyond my control.
sa_al

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
ittiandro wrote:
I want to be sure before buying.

That's not going to happen; too many variables.

As for "I have nothing to lose, even $ 400 is not a big deal, should I find out that foiling is not for me" ... That's how I approached foiling: as a gamble with controllable downside and a potentially big payoff. For a net buy/sell cost of a few hundred dollars, my experiment was well worth the experience and I passed my killer deal on to the fellow who bought mine. A few hundred bucks is a pretty low price for ending the agony over the dilemma. I put in enough research up front to give my experiment high odds of success, and am firmly convinced that my conclusion was valid not even counting unexpected factors beyond my control.

If you are going to make a decision to see if foiling is for you, you should go to with foil specific lighter board/sail set-up. I am 225 lbs and could foil on 10-11 mph with infinity 99 foil using Flyer 8.2 sail/levitator 160 liter. I am not an advance windsurfer but now enjoy foiling. Let me tell you, it is a joy when you are planning/or levitating on a day with very low wind. I could not plane on my 11 m sail with formula board on 10-11 mph day and now totally giving up on my formula gear.
underwood

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the same approach as the OP and went with F-one Papenoo. 7'11" x 30" Surf SUP, SUP, Windsurf, Windfoil, paddle foil "crossover" board. I figure if I didn't enjoy foiling there are many other uses I can enjoy. I use an infinity 76 foil.

So far so good. I enjoy foiling but certainly not obsessed with it like I am with windsurfing. I have enjoyed SUPing & WIndsurfing the board as well. While the board may not perform all these different disciplines as well as dedicated equipment it does a pretty good job at all of them. A great bonus when traveling (don't have to drag 4 different boards when on a road trip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: