myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Cold water gloves/mitts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Cold water gloves/mitts Reply with quote

I'm looking to windfoil later and earlier in the season. I have a Ion 5.5/4.5, 6/5 boots, 3mm hood. Hoping to go out in April/May and November /December as long as it's not below freezing mostly sailing lake Ontario.

I relize it is a lot of personal preference, but what gloves give the least forearm pump while obviously being warm. I've read most of the tips and tricks to sail longer; like stopping when they start to get cold and warm up on shore.

I've been looking at the following options;
- Dakine cold water mitts
- glacier gloves(2mm)
- ion open palm(w/dishgloves still might be too cold?)

Any other options I should consider?
dhmark

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

small grip booms, an expensive upgrade that increases comfort and decreases strain for most (but not all) sailors, these booms are definitely stiff enough for low tension foil sails. If you can tolerate open palm mittens, they definitely decrease forearm strain and are great until you fall in, then you need time to recover. I personally have not used open palm in extremely cold air temps, only frigid water temps with moderate (>48 degree) air temps.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foiling causes much less stress on forearms.
Try cheapest or what's available first.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find many threads and countless opinions on this topic with the SEARCH function.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go: http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34441&sid=378f72712db99db7ecbf0006778c36d4
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link.
The bar mitts seem really interesting. Especially if they can slide a bit on the skinny booms. There pricey compared to most gloves and mitts but you shouldn't have to replace them Idea
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sealskinz has an excellent line of cold weather gloves, including "waterproof."
They have a US presence: https://www.sealskinzusa.com/gloves
I think they started in the UK :https://www.sealskinz.com
They also have hats and mittens.

I bought a couple of pairs of their lighter, not insulated, gloves for general use last spring and I'm very pleased with them. I have NOT used them in water. I will later this spring. I think they will do very well. My circumstances last fall were such that I haven't really tested them yet, which is why I put the quote marks around waterproof in my first sentence.
liyanaforbes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the material, you want gloves that will not get soaking wet while keeping you dry while paddling or climbing. Make sure you look at what kind of gloves they are. For instance, something that covers the entire hand would be better for kayaking/paddling while gloves that are not as deep may work better for ice climbing. The glove should have a strap that wraps around the wrist and attaches to the other side of the glove with a buckle or clip. Glove systems work by connecting both gloves together, this allows you to use your paddle as well as keeping your gloves on. By connecting both gloves together, you can use your paddle as well as keeping your gloves on. This allows you to be able to grab your paddle if needed. On top of that it is also important for safety in case something happens while kayaking and you need to be able to let go of your paddle and grab the rescue line if need be. For others details, you can check: https://www.glovesguide.com/

Last edited by liyanaforbes on Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
windyjoe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Cold sailing gloves Reply with quote

NP 3 finger mitts use em in water@air in 30,s blowing gale force winds if you can find them in our new shortage of everything now
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold water gloves/mitts Reply with quote

atlas.wave55 wrote:
I'm looking to windfoil later and earlier in the season. I have a Ion 5.5/4.5, 6/5 boots, 3mm hood. Hoping to go out in April/May and November /December as long as it's not below freezing mostly sailing lake Ontario.

I relize it is a lot of personal preference, but what gloves give the least forearm pump while obviously being warm. I've read most of the tips and tricks to sail longer; like stopping when they start to get cold and warm up on shore.

I've been looking at the following options;
- Dakine cold water mitts
- glacier gloves(2mm)
- ion open palm(w/dishgloves still might be too cold?)

Any other options I should consider?

Endless threads on this in the past. Try to search.
One of the takeaways is it is better to start using gloves/mitts before the glove season starts. Because then it is too late Smile
I found Ion open palm mitts 3mm worked best for me.
Three years ago my fingers became very sensitive to cold (yes, aging sucks Sad ) and I started using Ianovated wetsuit. With that setup you will forget about cold hands.

Andrei
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: