myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lake Isabella during COVID crisis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superkraut

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Lake Isabella during COVID crisis Reply with quote

Forest Service and BLM closed all developed recreation areas in our Valley, which include the AuxDam as well as Ghetto Rec Areas - plus most other sites that would offer acceptably safe/accessible windsurf launches (such as Boulder Gulch, where I gather folks launched in the hayday of the sport)
While the boat launch ramps are open for now, launching our windsurfers there would require fighting for space with the fishermen (out in great numbers right now because the lake was stocked recently in preparation for the Fishing Derby - which has since been cancelled).
For all intents and purposes, then, windsurfing has been put on hold at Lake Isabella until April 30 - for now
be well!
Eva
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Eva,
Its day to day at Lopez for day use. Camping has been closed for several weeks. Water level is holding at 51.6% with a good storm for next week. Might be enough water to make it at least half way thru the summer. Be well
superkraut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you, Tony! RandyN has been keeping me posted on your situation - you are the chosen few, the blessed ones, who can continue through this pandemic - ENJOY, for all of us
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We as local windsurfers are practicing social distancing. Setting up away from each other and no beer party after sailing. Other people are not. Groups , mostly kids, are on the shore playing soccer, tossing a football or just hanging out. I fear its just a matter of time for Lopez. That said yesterday it was pretty empty on the shore so maybe people finally got the message..
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've now closed all of Malibu to all water sports
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd. I don't recall Dr. Fauci declaring the ocean to be a CV vector.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"They've now closed all of Malibu to all water sports"

Are you tempted to fly over to Maui right now?
superkraut

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isabella update: there are wafflings that suggest that we may be able to continue to sail from The Ghetto - our administration (yes, there is such a thing, strong evidence to the contrary notwithstanding) appears unable to settle on a designation for some of our recreation areas - whichsame designation determines its status during the COVID crisis. I cannot post updates everywhere there is someone thinking of windsurfing on Lake Isabella - but I DO indeed post updates as needed to our Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/294638607227135/
You may want to check there before heading up
Eva
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: