myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Roosevelt access

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
exgolfer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Roosevelt access Reply with quote

how is access and weed situation at Roosevelt these days. prefer the lawn to Arlington but.....
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Corps' most recent response, via the camp host (who is kept in the loop) to inquiries about Roosevelt's park damage and closure is "We're shooting for a meeting on it soon, but we're desperately low on manning, funding, and giving a crap. We may just leave it to the beavers. It could take weeks to months."

OK, the Italicized parts are fictional, but are based on my nearly 30 year history of working with the Corps in this district. We're back to "Don't hold your breath".

I haven't switched back to my weed fins yet. They seem to need warm weather to grow, and that's still in short supply. I'm still in my fricking dry suit and booties for various reasons.

As for the grass ... as usual, you'll have to bring it yourself. I don't know Oregon's/Arlington's policy on it, but it remains illegal on federal property such as Roosevelt. Smile
Bugaboo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Access is no problem, but not from the grass. No weeds at all.

Just go past the park and launch from the dirt area between the big parking lot and the dock. Plenty of room for rigging, easy walk to the water with just short swim to the wind line.

Arlington looked real busy yesterday.
lomax

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the normal lot closed for RV camping too? Any chance of a volunteer work party to take care of the down trees. Any pics of those?
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main park is CLOSED ... no walking, camping, parking, porta-potty usage, no nuthin' ... until the Corps has some meetings, decides what to about the damage and the big picture, finds the additional personnel and funding they've been seeking for many years, and chooses to expend the effort required to re-open it at no further risk to the public. They've always been concerned about liability from falling limbs, and even more so since a lady sitting on a park bench in TriCities was killed by a limb recently.

I've been the CGWA/CGW2 /Roosevelt coordinator for work parties for at least 15 years, working with the same ranger for most of that time. He tells me this is a much bigger problem than we've faced before, that it's far beyond mere clean-up. One of the park's biggest trees now lays uprooted across the lawn, another equally-sized tree remains a threat in SW-W winds, and many lesser but still risky trees hover overhead, some being supported by nearby trees. The Corps, Fire Marshall, and Sheriff are not taking this as lightly as they did the CV closures, arguably with even greater justification.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's getting way too obvious (toilet paper everywhere) that many people are using the wooded section between the big, maintained, unlocked boat ramp parking lot pit toilet and the river. That's what got that entire ferry landing area closed off completely for years, and the toilet is just 15-25 steps from where everybody's parking. We aren't bears; do we HAVE to crap in the woods behind and less easily accessible than the toilet?

Last edited by isobars on Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
kurtvr7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Still closed yesterday Reply with quote

It was closed yesterday. I made the drive as I had no idea it was closed.
Fortunately the Wall was going off so all was not lost. I let CGWA know to help get the word out.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been discussed often, at length and in depth in a couple of threads here, in Temira's blog, on the Corps' website, and more. The Corps won't let us clean it up due to their liability, so we're at their mercy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: