myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Possibly confined until May 25th going windskate!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addicted hardcore!

Would like to compile a vid with all of the moves.
Today, I added to my list of completed moves the upwind 360 (tried to slide it to get it more shaka-ish) and the heli tack.

Enjoy!

manuel

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New moves completed: push tack, conca tack, clew first 360, bender and body "drag" (run).
What a great way to understand and discover new moves!

I think I pretty much completed all moves outside of moves requiring straps, slides
or stepping in front and around mast foot, In regards to slides, I'd need to hit about 30mph before I can break those wheels loose, they are like gokart sticky!

Might get some harder wheels so I can slide some of my moves as opposed to carve them.

Finally, speaking of carving, maybe a slightly shorter board would give me more maneuverability in my limited space.

Endless fun though and with the paddle stick those sticky wheels make for some crazy gforces in the turns!

manuel

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working hardcore on slides, today I realized I can pop and slide my board similarly to an air jibe! And basically jump too by loading and unspringing it. This longboard is very flexible then by pulling up on the boom the front just rises.

I'm baffled by how much fun this is! I have yet to figure out heel-side slides. I believe the sail needs to be loaded and vertical. Trying in switch and clew first.

Looking forward to spending more time on it and discover other things. A fantastic workout too!

PS: beaches are still closed!

DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The confined space could be good for setting up videos to help & to share. Looking forward to the YouTube link or however you choose to share.
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotta say I'm a windskate convert as well.
Picked up a pin tail long board, 85 mm wheels and long board trucks.
It's pretty cool to sail this set up as I can practice many of the carving freestyle moves as noted by Manu. Also hopefully will help muscle memory when on the water - shorter reaches in parking lots makes for a lot more practice in turns/jibes/helitacks. Being able to sail the parking lot of the school 1 mile away is pretty convenient.
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liking the 85mm wheels? I went running on the road (newer asphalt) yesterday the vibrations were insane and my ankles kept vibrating like a jackhammer afterwards Very Happy ! It was fun to be out in more open spaces though Smile

Found these amazing vids, clearly it helps to have the mast base forward:

https://www.continentseven.com/windskate-shaka-anton-munz/

wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the bigger wheels.
They’re actually 90 mm but measure in at 85.
They roll soooo much smoother and faster than the smaller wheels I had on.
That said, they don’t slide at all and won’t turn as quickly as smaller wheels but the smoothness over the rough asphalt I’ve been sailing makes up for that.

Cool videos
Funny, I already moved my mast base forward.
I’m using a two bolt now but the front bolt is sitting partually inside the bottom of the truck base plate
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode my new wheels today holy snowboard Batman! Wow, addicting!
The offset makes it easy to tune and control the turning radius while their drift angle compensate for the shorter turning radius.

The drift angle is so cool just on regular turns exactly like on a snowboard. Looking forward to more, only used them with my paddle stick. With my sail I can be more agressive since I can hold onto the boom.

So much fun, had no idea that we could get such riding sensations over hard terrain!

manuel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe July 1st I can apply my newly developed skills on the water.
In the meantime, windskating is extremely addicting wow!
I've been trying to slide as hard as possible (requires speed, proper technique and commitment!) and sailing a lot in switch stance where turns are so much fun.

Also, I found out that rocky asphalt is not nearly as nice as more "diluted" asphalt which can be so smooth. Was paddling around today and noted how long the board will coast in between strokes over smooth asphalt, quite amazing.

In regards to pebbles we can actually bulldoze through most of them and worse I step off over the front. Sometimes I step over the board or the front wheel, the board being low and flexy, the wheels being small, it hasn't been a problem. Pretty cool.

A few pics:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBzLC6tFYzn/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBi7ahAlC2D/

EDIT:

Alright first "water" session after two months of wind skating, here are my thoughts:
- small boards can sink off the plane, footing is critical to balance
- the fin really bites in the turns!
- windskate helps sail tricks: laydowns, ducks, etc.
- windskate helps maintain windsurfing "fitness" (calluses, forearms, back, shoulders, etc.)
- on the water the loss of speed in the turns feels crazy slow!
- it's only water but after a few hard falls, my body started decomposing! (whiplash, back slaps, ...)
- we can throw about one trick every 3 minutes in the water but about 10 wind skating
- water sessions will vary greatly depending on conditions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: