myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2020 fanatic Blast 115
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlooby

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian_S wrote:
Can I ask how much you weigh? I'm looking for something in that size range and I'm 200+ lbs.

I have a Blast 130 (and a 3s 116) and sail on Lake Huron, 180lbs.

Always looked for that same magical great lakes light wind big chop/waves board.
I sail the blast with an ezzy 8.0 and 6.3. Really like it. Because it's so short it sails well in bigger water. Almost too fast, jibes really good, easy to handle in the air. When I drop down to the 3s I really notice how much better it is at going through the chop.
I have always liked the look of the severne fox's - just not sure that a 120 is big enough to get through the shorebreak with an 8.0 (I know that the 3s 116 is not). And the 140 is probably too big.
Joe
dhmark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jlooby"]
Brian_S wrote:

I have always liked the look of the severne fox's - just not sure that a 120 is big enough to get through the shorebreak with an 8.0 (I know that the 3s 116 is not). And the 140 is probably too big.
Joe

Must be some combination of nasty shorebreak/light wind to need more volume than 120, which is exactly what happens some days on L Michigan. My 8.0 rig is very light (460 mast, light boom), I'm not too heavy (70 kg), don't have conditions where the 120 wouldn't get me out but a 130-140 would, the Fox has a wide stable platform, not as short as Blast.
The Fox is amazingly cushy on chop, the actual feeling of it hitting chop is softer than my STB freewave 95 (the STB works better of course because its easier to maneuver with feet/legs).
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian_S wrote:
Quote:
Roughly, 1L=2.2lbs , so an equivalent board for you would be the 130L Blast ( the 130L is foil ready, if that matters to you)

I'm sailing in rough water in the Great Lakes and 130L starts to become a handful. Guess I wondered if any bigger guys have sailed that board. Thanks,

@Brian_S: as a heavyweight what are you using under 130 litres ??
sail and windspeed too if you please
fellow heavyweight here Smile
jlooby

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday's session example:
Wind 12-15kts and dead onshore
big wind buffer on shore
blast 130 43cm fin ezzy cheetah 8.0
At first could not get out because of wind direction, current and light wind at shore.
Then wind turned slightly sideshore and picked up to 15-17kts.
Waves up to 5' and some breaking, massive confused chop & waves.
Wild ride!
Overpowered but sailable.
The blast is good at navigating through the chaos, it's short length helps a lot with control.
Very tough jibing - only a few dry ones.
Not my favored direction - sailed for a couple hours - didn't come back through the break until the end of the session.
Joe
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes That does sound challenging. Also sounds like fun if you could find a side shore launch or point that would give an angle to the swells.
jlooby

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Yikes That does sound challenging. Also sounds like fun if you could find a side shore launch or point that would give an angle to the swells.

Yes we have launch close by that has a better launch - just sometimes too lazy to drive down there and pay the price!
ss59

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlooby wrote:
Yesterday's session example:
Wind 12-15kts and dead onshore
big wind buffer on shore
blast 130 43cm fin ezzy cheetah 8.0
At first could not get out because of wind direction, current and light wind at shore.
Then wind turned slightly sideshore and picked up to 15-17kts.
Waves up to 5' and some breaking, massive confused chop & waves.
Wild ride!
Overpowered but sailable.
The blast is good at navigating through the chaos, it's short length helps a lot with control.
Very tough jibing - only a few dry ones.
Not my favored direction - sailed for a couple hours - didn't come back through the break until the end of the session.
Joe

Zero experience of these big lakes but it does seem that that massive kit makes the whole experience much, much harder. At your weight, I would have thought a board of less than 100l would be a whole lot easier (sits lower in the water so much easier in shore break) and a 5.7 - 6.0. With 5ft waves, you could go a metre or more smaller and use the waves to get planning.
dhmark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those type of conditions all too familiar on the great lakes. The small sail wouldn't work because the wind would be too light through the shorebreak, you'd get toppled over in a second. Flotation and pure bulk of the board is your friend, otherwise the wave just grabs the board and tosses you off. We get really picky with the board we think would work exactly right for our conditions, but its always a compromise. Until I wanted something a little floatier and wider to handle an 8.0 comfortably, I thought the perfect board was my 15 year old Fanatic Cross 120 (116 L 64 wide), which provided the flotation to get through light wind/shorebreak, but the comfort and smooth ride to handle swell and bumps once outside in 7.0 conditions.
loopless

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely no easy to deal with those conditions. Watch the PWA wave contest in Sylt. Even the pros sometimes completely screw-up in on-shore conditions and pick the wrong board/sail combination and , boy , do they do a lot of complaining and belly-aching about that! They can look like complete beginners sometimes getting washed on-shore and doing a walk of shame.
jlooby

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask and ye shall receive...

https://windsurf.star-board.com/products/kode/

New kode 125 and 135 tri fins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: