myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Drysuits 2020! O'Neill or Promotion?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donwh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Drysuits 2020! O'Neill or Promotion? Reply with quote

Hi All-
It's getting towards the fall sailing season here in New England. My Assault hybrid drysuit was just deemed unrepairable by O'Neill (after about 30 sessions).
Searching the iw forum I found little current suit info. My current choices are the O'Neill neoprene baggy top O'Neill Fluid Neo drysuit, or the Promotion Men's 4mm Dimension drysuit.

Any thoughts appreciated.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Dimension. Dry it ain't; I suspect my wrist tunnels let in a lot of water, as that's where the trickle starts. But then, I've completed only one dry jibe this entire season, due largely to my still deteriorating balance. If you're staying dry most jibes, you will probably love the suit.

OTOH, don't overlook the O'Neil Psychofreak. It's drier than the Dimension, much less bulky than the Dimension's baggy top (important in the surf), much harder to don than the Dimension (but once on it feels like a super-flexible second skin), and abrasion resistant. It's exceptionally comfortable.

If you consider the Psychofreak, go BIG ... as in 2 or 3 sizes larger than the size charts indicate. My 2XL supposedly fits the Shaq, but it's damned hard to get on and off my 5'8" 180 pound carcass. I put up with its overly long legs so it will fit over my top half. (O'Neil sent me a new one when some trim failed on mine; the new one's still in the bag. I guess I should try it on again now that I've lost 10 pounds of both muscle and fat.)

Another idea: My Promotion full neoprene dry was still dry after more than 10 years of fringe-season use. I sold it mainly to pass on its superior performance when much lighter suits came out. Promotion stopped making them, but has some left in several sizes.
ss59

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 4/3 psycho freak (zipless) and I really like it, really warm as warm as my 5/3 ripcurl flashbomb sizewise I find it pretty much bang on - I'm a medium tall in every brand of suit i have.

ps not sure I would go zipless again over a chest zip
loonie2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up the Ocean Rodeo Soul last fall. Very happy with it. I know someone who has had his Ocean Rodeo drysuit for 10+ years (with one wrist/ankle seal replacement).
skyking1231

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailing buddy of mine, just returned his promotion after two sessions. leaked on day one. and not through zipper of wrist/ankle/neck. it was leaking through the seams or the material itself. but he would be wet all over (and cold).

On the other hand...someoen else has been sailing with the promotion for three years now....and no problems that I hav heard of.

My Ocean Rodeo Soul has been good for the 3 years. But it started to leak big time. I switched to Kokatat (awesome btw). My Ocean rodeo I did use the waterproofing stuff through the washer. I haven't used it since...but curious if it will bring 'new' life back to that suit?
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ocean Rodeo line looks great, but I can't imagine trying to swim wearing a dang COAT. How does that work?
loonie2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
The Ocean Rodeo line looks great, but I can't imagine trying to swim wearing a dang COAT. How does that work?

I've done this recently. Short front crawl sprint after gear. Also a 15 minute swim dragging gear due to wind drop / wind shadow - mostly flutter and scissor kick. Not the greatest for sure but doable - it's not a triathalon suit.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Drysuits 2020! O'Neill or Promotion? Reply with quote

donwh wrote:
Hi All-
It's getting towards the fall sailing season here in New England. My Assault hybrid drysuit was just deemed unrepairable by O'Neill (after about 30 sessions).
Searching the iw forum I found little current suit info. My current choices are the O'Neill neoprene baggy top O'Neill Fluid Neo drysuit, or the Promotion Men's 4mm Dimension drysuit.

Any thoughts appreciated.

I gave up on a dry suit after two tries separated by almost two decades.The last one was a Rodeo. Both time I gave up because of the constant maintenance they require. No matter how much maintenance you put in (clean, dry, use talc when in storage) cuffs and neck rubber regularly disintegrate and you are left either with a yearly expensive repair or covered in glue (and an imperfect seal). The Rodeo used a cheap material, a "POLYURETHANE BREATHABLE MEMBRANE" that actually does not breath at all and I ended up every session warm ... but completely wet because of transpiration. Plus there is the bulk which makes swimming very hard. You won't be able to sprint toward your board if you get separated in high winds.

Last year I bought instead a Hooded O'Neil Psycho 5.5/4 with front zip. Cheaper, zero maintenance, is basically a dry suit, incredibly warm, and feels like a second skin.
donwh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvCali Wrote:

I gave up on a dry suit after two tries separated by almost two decades.The last one was a Rodeo. Both time I gave up because of the constant maintenance they require. No matter how much maintenance you put in (clean, dry, use talc when in storage) cuffs and neck rubber regularly disintegrate and you are left either with a yearly expensive repair or covered in glue (and an imperfect seal). The Rodeo used a cheap material, a "POLYURETHANE BREATHABLE MEMBRANE" that actually does not breath at all and I ended up every session warm ... but completely wet because of transpiration. Plus there is the bulk which makes swimming very hard. You won't be able to sprint toward your board if you get separated in high winds.
------------------

I was the opposite for me- My first drysuit, a Bodyglove, was not real dry or real warm. When I first tried an O'Neil O'asis baggy top it was a revelation, I really could be dry and warm. Then a Bare, lastly the O'Neill, all baggy tops that would last a few years each, then get permeable and become unwearable. I am somewhat reluctant to go back to a full neoprene drysuit, especially since my Neil Pryde 5/4 is a XL and I should be in a medium, according to the sizing. I might try a Psycho if I can find one locally.
I actually bought some waterproofing liquid, Nikwax, and treated my drysuit, we'll see how that goes. Not really expecting much. Actually also posted this in the regional forum
http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35033&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=eed1e80f1f61ddab1def5c6b1832321a
us85

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I too end up pretty soggy after a couple hours in my Ocean Rodeo Soul. My problem is the that I have failed in all my many attempts to restore the DWR. I spent a LOT of time (and a decent chunk of change) this summer on the DWR including talking with Nikwax support. At this point, a spritz with water will bead up nicely on most areas, but after jumping in the water, most areas wet through. I think once the outer material gets some wear, it soaks up water no mater what coating you have on it.

At this point, I just wear some neoprene as a base layer. I stay pretty warm during the session, but if I take a break, evaporative cooling kicks in and I get cold quick.

After 5 years and probably ~15 sessions per year in the Soul, I have not had any problems with the gaskets. I do treat them often with 303 protectant, though. It only takes a few minutes each time and makes the gaskets slide on easier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: