myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
windsurf foil board and foil
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you hit the water do the Sling Shot foil academy. Really good info. Its online and its free. It had me up and flying on my first ride and having fun the first day and I was 68 years old at the time. One thing though. They advocate a 3 or 4 mast learning set up that I bought. For me it was completely unnecessary. I started on a short 24 inch mast and had a lot of foil outs. No time to adjust. Went to the 36 mast the first day and had way more success.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To one up.....
I started at 70 years of age...37 years of shortboarding.
Used 70cm foil mast. No problems until gusts hit 21 mph, 5.2 sail.
Now, 100 foiling days later, still use the 70 mast, still fine if gusts don't hit 20 mph on 5.2 sail. I lost 10 lbs. in the process.
Now gonna add in a wing.
Where I sail, Berkeley, 70% of my foiling days start out 3-14mph breeze, then gusts to 18+ within 10 minutes.
And we have a loooong walk back to the car to get the 100 liter wind surf board.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day before yesterday, 5.2 sail, got 20 minutes of perfect foiling weather with a 600 sq. cm. foil, then switched directly to slightly OP 100 liter windsurfing.
No change in rig, just a board change.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: follow up Reply with quote

Wavedave38 wrote:
I currently have a fanatic jag 125 with reinforced foil box and I am sure it would work however with the rails not being tucked in the nose area I feel any pitches forward will not be forgiving as the new foil boards with beveled rails in the front to allow to bounce off water a lot more easily avoiding a face plant catapult.

The beveled rails will help with bouncing back only when the board enters the water tilted sideways. But the worst foil catapults usually involve a breach, followed by a nose dive. The picture below is an example.
In my experience, nose dives tend to be much easier to recover on a longer board. On my 247 cm slalom board, I rarely have any catapults. On the 6'10" (208 cm) board in the picture, nose dives usually mean crashes.
This may not be true for all shorter foil boards; more nose rocker and more nose volume can help in nose dives. But whenever I've seen beginners foil, breach crashes on short boards (like the Wizard) seemed more common and spectacular then crashed on longer boards. The Jag falls into the longer category, with 235 cm.

If you go buy something else, check the construction details. The Jag has a decent full sandwich construction. Some foil boards do not have sandwich construction, and the worst offenders have just a single layer of glass over the EPS core. That will result in frequent nose damage even in slow crashes.

Nose dive.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.49 MB
 Viewed:  19697 Time(s)

Nose dive.png

dllee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concur with above.
Even with same board, setting straps and track back often saves you from crashing when nose slams down, either from breach or drop in wind.
Short mast helps too.
Longer boards are safer.
Power box boards needs bottom plate and bigger diameter screw.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wavedave check out Naish USA home page for 50% 0ff foiling. They have great deals on foils and have the 2019 142 foil board for $975
Wavedave38

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: foils? Reply with quote

looking at either the fanatic flow 1500 setup or the JP glide wind,unless anyone has other suggestions , but comparison to these 2 would be helpful.
A set up allowing the mast to be interchanged between tuttle and track is necessary as well as quality construction.
Thanks
mac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m now on my second Tilla board with a F4 foil. Pretty much a race set up, even though I no longer race, I like to cruise and sail with my old Formula buddies. Only this year feeling competent. A couple of bits of advice:

1. You’re going to beat up a board learning, so it makes sense to look for a used board with some mileage left. Used formula boards with Tuttle boxes are still around, and wider and longer helps prevent nose dives and give you leverage.

2. Longer fuselages are far more stable. I learned on an 80 cm, went to a 100, and find my 120 much easier.

3. Foils set up for learning—slower and stubbier designs—make learning the balance trick easier.

Once you learn to balance in different conditions, you can make a more informed decision about where you want to go next.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason that you want a dedicated foil board is geometry. All the parts in the right place. The thing is once you lift off you ride the foil not the board.
Board weight doesn't make much of a difference. Front wing size and fuselage length does. Buy a board with enough float so you can up haul. A nice full sized deck is a must to save the knees. Or wear a wet to protect knees and legs. I would base my decision mostly on what foil would work best for me and my needs. Right now foil brands don't allow for interchangeable parts. Pick one that has several wing and fuselage options.
A stable forgiving foil may not be the fastest but will get you up and going and having fun the first day. Then as you progress you can add wings as needed. For me and the guys around here, we are finding the wing under your board makes more difference than the sail size your using. My big 1800 wing will lift and fly at around 4 mph board speed. My 1150 wing needs 10 mph board speed. In both cases i use a 4.7 sail to foil. In lite wind and the big wing I will need to bear off and pump to achieve lift off speed. In stronger wind and small wing its just sheet in and go to hit that lift off speed. I'm sure your more confused now. get a set up and go for it. At my age I find myself looking forward to the 10/15 mph 4.7 foil days more than the 25mph 4.7 windsurfing days...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: