myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mast sleeve tape, recommendations?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpf18

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:21 pm    Post subject: Mast sleeve tape, recommendations? Reply with quote

It's been 10y plus since I last needed taping a torn mast sleeve. The tape I used at the time was brilliant, cannot remember the product and locate it again - I am looking for recommendations.
JamesHardy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using iron on fabric patches to repair mast sleeve tears for years. You can get them at most craft stores they come in a verity of colors. I usually cut the patch to overlap the edges of the tear about 1/2 an inch on both sides, I also round the edges of the patch. If you can't find a patch in a matching color get a white patch and use a color matching Sharpie pen to make the color match.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the same thing. I use contact cement to apply the patch. If possible put one on the inside of the sleeve also... As soon as the inside patch is in place slide the mast in far enough to keep the glue from sticking the sleeve together...
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The contact glue keeps the weave for the fabric from unraveling...
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of the iron-on patch, but ... how big is the tear? I've almost always used local lofts for my sails, and was advised to pretty much ignore most tears, as there's not a lot of stress in a luff sleeve. IF it's small, I'd mark the ends and see whether it keeps tearing.
JamesHardy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The largest repair I have done was about 8 inches, it held for a few years. For me the main goal is to keep the mast tip from poking through the hole in the mast sleeve while rigging, cleaning up the look of the sail is a bonus. If the sleeve gets to bad I will send the sail up the coast for repair.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: