myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fanatic Freewave 75 TE 2020 review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuyT

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark wrote:
Hi Guy,

Yesterday after a good day at day at one of our local sites I counted 7 2020 Fanatic Freewaves on shore ranging from 75 to 95 liters. I took a closer look at Kevin Kan's board who owns Sunset Sailboards. I noticed he and several others who are also very good sailors have the stock thrusters set at the very back of the boxes. It may be worth trying that and maybe also on the STB. The Tectonics Beastie thrusters do have more rake which in effect moves the CRL a bit further. back. I am not saying that the stock fins are in the same league as the Tectonics but for people on a budget replacing the center fin and keeping the stock thrusters may be a cost effective solution to spinout.

One thing for sure, fin matters, specially with the STB. Wink

Where I sail, weed fins are mandatory, so I bought recently a couple of Tectonics weed fins for our FW95 STB: a 27 cm for 4.7 and 5.3, a 29 for the 6.0.

Turns out that my wife, who hated the STB, now loves it with these fins.

But it was too late. To please my wife, I just bought the FW95 2020. I will probably get to try it this weekend, report coming up Smile
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy,

Everyone on the beach says they miss your company (and Sylvie's).

Looking forward to seeing you on the water again when it happens.

-Craig

GuyT wrote:
mark wrote:
Hi Guy,

Yesterday after a good day at day at one of our local sites I counted 7 2020 Fanatic Freewaves on shore ranging from 75 to 95 liters. I took a closer look at Kevin Kan's board who owns Sunset Sailboards. I noticed he and several others who are also very good sailors have the stock thrusters set at the very back of the boxes. It may be worth trying that and maybe also on the STB. The Tectonics Beastie thrusters do have more rake which in effect moves the CRL a bit further. back. I am not saying that the stock fins are in the same league as the Tectonics but for people on a budget replacing the center fin and keeping the stock thrusters may be a cost effective solution to spinout.

One thing for sure, fin matters, specially with the STB. Wink

Where I sail, weed fins are mandatory, so I bought recently a couple of Tectonics weed fins for our FW95 STB: a 27 cm for 4.7 and 5.3, a 29 for the 6.0.

Turns out that my wife, who hated the STB, now loves it with these fins.

But it was too late. To please my wife, I just bought the FW95 2020. I will probably get to try it this weekend, report coming up Smile
GuyT

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
Guy,

Everyone on the beach says they miss your company (and Sylvie's).

Looking forward to seeing you on the water again when it happens.

-Craig

Thanks, Craig. Miss you too, hope we'll be back to normal by next Summer.
bericw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy et Sylvie:

Un bateau ne navigue pas avec le vent d'hier. But surely there are still good memories. Missed your happiness at the river this summer.

Until next time, hope everything is awesome!

Beric
GuyT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Beric, can't wait to sail with you again.

Meanwhile, we are still in love with our Fanatic FW75 2020. Sylvie's smile goes 360 degrees whenever she rides the board. Last week, we had a Gorge-like day, a solid 30 knot. Had a ball on a 4.2.

I have mixed feelings on our new FW95 TE. Surely, the board regained its freeride abilities it had lost with the STB. But on the other hand, it is not as comfortable in heavy chop than the STB and not as playful.

The new FW95 feels bigger underfoot than the STB. While the sail range of the STB was (to me) 4.7 to 6.0, I feel it is now 5.0 to 6.2. It's also a true plug&play board, no adaptation needed. And it won't spin out, a problem often mentioned with the STB.

Who will love the FW95 2020-21? Anyone who had a Fanatic Classic Freewave before will love the board, the new shape it is surely Fanatic best freewave design so far. And from what I read in different reviews, the FW95 stands proud besides the two other great FSW designs, that is the Goya One and the JP FSW.

But die-hard STB fans may think that the new shape is a step backwards. There is no miracle here; the gain in freeride performance is probably at the detriment of the freestyle abilities of the STB.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall your van, large. Are you selling some boards ? Seems like a fair no , course 2 of you.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
GuyT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Gary, there was a time when we needed a double quiver because I was away most of the windsurfing season and Sylvie had to stay home because she was still working.

I sold recently our Fanatic FW75 2010 and FW95 TeXtreme, and would get rid of two other redundant ones (a 69L and 75L), but Sylvie wants to keep them for the Spring season here; lots of wood logs it the water.

I'll keep the STB95 for here, it's perfect for the local conditions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: