myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Push, Duck, Heli tacks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Push, Duck, Heli tacks Reply with quote

Do you all do these regularly? Are they all useful or are some just for show?
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heli tack is very useful, especially with boards that have little volume in front of the mast base. Push tack is more of a trick where you go from a gust to a lull; you actually lose ground. Duck tack, old school or new, can be as useful as a heli tack because you do not have to go around the mast base but because there is so much sail handling you have a lower success rate than heli tack.

I use the heli tack regularly and depending on the board probably more than the regular tack.

Coachg
manuel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Push and duck I do them on my longboard skate. Useful since regular tacks are extremely difficult. Heli tacks easier as sail is powered though most of the move. Easier going back out from riding waves, regular tacks easier when coming back in (can lean against swell).
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think YOUR type of sailing will determine which if any of these tacks are a benefit. For me these days, just basic freeriding (no surf), I see little reason for any of the tacks other than for fun and freestyle. I have done lots of heli tacks buy only on larger or long boards for fun.

However, pushing yourself to learn something new, even if there is no practical need, it will improve your overall sailing skills and balance. You will recover and not fall as often as your body adapts to a variety of balance and sail handling skills.
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Push, Duck, Heli tacks Reply with quote

rtz wrote:
Do you all do these regularly? Are they all useful or are some just for show?

I do these in non-planing conditions. Sometimes for show off, sometimes to warm up if the temps are a bit brisk, but generally because it is fun and feels good. These and other moves like dancing with the sail Smile
rigitrite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heli-tack is really useful if you're sailing a really small board and the wind dies off, and jibing will make things worse to get back to your launch. When it's super windy, I'll jibe or regular tack the same board, depending on what's best, but if you're schlogging; heli-tack.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping to add to the good posts preceding mine...

IMHO the helitack is the only "practical" move of those you've listed. Tiny boards and boards with very small noses can be tacked better with the heli.

The push tack is a neat trick...when done planing it's a backwinded clew first tack. Lots of fun to complete.

The duck tack is hard to do planing (I've never hit one) but a great test of rig and board control. I can do them nonplaning...speaking of which

They are all a lot of fun to do in nonplaning conditions on a big board with a smaller sail!

isobars

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
... will improve your overall sailing skills and balance. You will recover and not fall as often as your body adapts to a variety of balance and sail handling skills.

A couple of you my have figured out by now that freestyle isn't my thing, but techno's comment applies to learning the basic planing jibe, too. The more things we can do, the more things we can do.

Just don't extend that to your driving. That could get expensive, at least, unless you have access to an abandoned airport.
ctuna

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:25 pm    Post subject: Helis are usefull. Reply with quote

Helis are useful.
The other to are pretty difficult on a short board.
The way to learn is to them on big board at low speeds.
These fall under old school freestyle some would argue
that they are not even freestyle anymore.

If you are bored with what you are doing get a Trictionary 3
and have go at it.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

useful? well depends on what that means. if fun is useful than they certainly are.

heli tacks are really useful in light wind. an easy way to turn around on a sinker.

push tacks are just plain fun (also called a hoss tack or clew first tack). this is the trick that got me into freestyle. also is useful in learning the duck carving 360 (on the opposite tack). you can be really aggressive with the carve on this one. There were some excellent tips from Peter Hart's Showin' Off video which I believe is still streaming on Amazon Prime video

duck tack... probably the funnest of all three. In appropriate conditions, I find this the easiest way to tack, as footwork is the simplest (but learning it is the hardest). also great tips on this one in the Showin' Off video. duck tacks can be pretty sail/rigging sensitive... a well rigged freestyle sail will make life easier. my eyes were opened in the early 2000s when I saw a then-unsponsored Tonky Frans throw beautiful duck tacks at The Hatch, and my buddy and I were like WTF was that?????

duck tacks are like magic... one of the coolest tricks one can do on a sailboard.... also sets you up for learning the toeside tack on the wing foil

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: