myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bent mast
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Bent mast Reply with quote

Would you buy and use a mast that was left rigged up and has a permanent bend if it was $50?

Or is a mast like that no good to be used?
westender

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the bend is the same curve as a rigged sail , no.
rtz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the full bend. But it's no longer straight. Bowed is a better description.
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of my masts are bent. Yet, I release tension each time. I do try to match the bend curve when rigging to avoid exaggerated stress. Not sure it does anything at all. It may straighten with even use or bend according to last sessions angle. Don't think any of this matters really.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's bent, then technically, it's broken. Even for $50, I believe that it is faulty economy.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A used bent bargain mast is what it is. There is no way to tell what condition its in. It could work ok or worst case break while sailing. I de- rig every time and my masts have a slight bend/bow when first removed that is gone the next time I rig...
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest rigging a few of the sails that you anticipate using this mast on to see whether they yield good results. Of course, I'm assuming that you have access to the mast before you buy.

I should point out different mast manufacturers don't necessarily make masts with the same specs, as the overall bend characteristics can vary quite a bit, even within the category of constant curve masts. Anytime you buy a used mast, you want to make sure that it's compatible with your sails. Needless to say, the sailor maker's recommended mast is the best choice, but you might want to check Unifiber's website to learn a bit more about the mast bend characteristics required by different sail manufacturers.

Lastly, I've found that composite materials can change a bit with heat and time. To see if you can influence a change, or potentially refresh any memory left in the mast, I would put the mast sections in the sun for few days. It might be a bit tough this time of the year to get the heat you need, but it's worth a try. If you live in freezing conditions, you could bring it indoors and crank-up the heat in a selective area, or carefully use a heat gun on it.
jpf18

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
I would put the mast sections in the sun for few days.
After a UV shower like that - the good news: No worries any longer. The bad news: Assume the mast's toast.
You cam make out a ratty board or sail. With masts and booms, if in doubt, pass on it.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always cover the mast with black plastic and avoid any UV exposure. The issue is developing some heat to help the mast correct.

Regarding buying used masts, it's not the path I would take, but not everyone has the luxury of buying new stuff.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be more concerned about cracks, UV exposure, or excessive wear at the boom, mast head, mast base or batten attachment areas when buying a used mast.

A composite mast will take a permenant bend if left rigged under load for an extended period of time because the epoxy in the mast will “creep.” You should be able to bend it back by loading in the opposite direction. Put the mast halves together and use a sharpie marker to put a mark near the base indicating the direction of the bend. Then insert the mast into your sail sleeve so the bend is opposite the the luff curve (i.e. concave forward) and rig your sail. Leave it rigged that way for a few hours, days, weeks, and eventually the load will bend it back to straight (or near straight).

sm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: