myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bent mast
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had three masts snap over the years. Two were in manageable conditions/ locations, but one was in 35 offshore knots and heavy seas, which caused me to dump the mast/ sail before a long and exhausting swim back. Unless you are sure you can swim back from anywhere you are sailing, I would be very wary of any used mast or boom.
manuel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An important reminder that if the top breaks, one should be able to sail back without doing anything. If the bottom part breaks, slide the top part off and re-insert it flipping it around, upside down. Ditch the broken top piece of the bottom part and slide the top part inside the bottom. Should be able to sail back as well, I was able to plane that way and completed the operation in heavy swell within a couple of minutes.

Note: I wanted to add as well that all rental centers masts are bent.

mrgybe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't disagree with your suggestions, and have done a couple myself. But the OP is relatively new to windsurfing. In heavy winds and surf, many experienced sailors would struggle with some of those remedies, particularly if it's cold. My advice.....don't risk your life to save a few hundred dollars.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used bent windsurfing masts should be sold to or used by people like me: alternative surface sailors who use windsurfing rigs to sail on packed snow, ice, or parking lots. Or to another variety of people like me: inland sailors who sail on small lakes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: