myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Adding Side Fins???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlooby

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject: Adding Side Fins??? Reply with quote

Looking for opinions...
I was hoping to pick up a Severne Dyno 125 for great lakes on shore b&j sailing with 7.5 / 6.4 but I can't seem to get one until later in 2021; so got me thinking...
Should I modify my current big board - Fanatic Blast 130?
Option 1 - add centre back strap and more center forward straps
Option 2 - Add thrusters (slot boxes)

Looking for a better ride in onshore chaos we get on Lake Huron. More control/grip in rough water, better turning, slow it down a bit (I really like the tri fin option on my simmer quantum 95). The Blast is a great board and I enjoy it but hoping I could 'wave it up a bit'.
Next board down is a Tabou 3s 116 (good board but sometimes I need the float of the Blast to get through the shorebreak and current)

I've read on here where some people have had success adding side fins (U2's
Rocket 135)

Thoughts & opinions welcome.
Joe
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the tail is too wide to make thrusters work.

I'm investigating the same possibility for an old Kombat 122 to make it wavesail better instead of a WindSUP. But it has a narrow tail and inboard straps already.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Severne boards seem to be difficult to acquire ...
in case anyone in Quebec or Ontario is interested ...
here is a brand new Fox 120 for sale
http://www.windsurfing.qc.ca/classifieds/520/5172/severne-fox-120-l-2020-2021
NOT a wave board, but may be of interest to someone
not my board
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a whole lot less work than adding boxes to a board:

smaller and stiffer fins. lots of brand managers include fins that are best matched for the lower winds that a design can be used in.

if you have a 44cm, try 38 carbon. any fin above 40 in G-10 is rubbery and more physical when lit up in choppy conditions. the plus a flexy fin adds lift, which helps when lightly powered, but becomes tiring when lit.

also, mess with boom heights and base positions.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
ctuna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Thrusters on a Dyno use a non standard box Reply with quote

Thrusters on a Dyno use a non standard box.
And they didn't sell fins as of last year.
I would imagine the rest of the Severne line is the same.
You can modify thrusters to fit if you route a slot in the
front and cut some of the back off.
Line on rear is where the cut must be made.

The Big V on a Severne smooths out the chop but also requires
more power to keep it going.

cuttorear of fin outline downsize.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  261.02 KB
 Viewed:  16366 Time(s)

cuttorear of fin outline downsize.jpg

manuel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with going for a small fin first. Basically, the downside of using a small fin is lack of upwind drive (or overall light wind drive) and easy spin out. Side fins help by creating more grip. They also lower top speed by introducing more drag.

Can you move your fin forward? Can you adjust the fin foot so be able to set it more forward and finally, you can move back strap back. Keeping the mast foot back towards the straps with the small sail will help maneuverability in mushy waves.

I had thoughts about adding side fins to a freewave board, despite its small size (77L) its overall shape made it difficult to easily surf larger waves. Adding fins would have helped some but not nearly as much as going with a different shape altogether.

To me, multi fins make sense in larger waves, or higher winds. When waves are mushy and wind is light, we want drive and speed.

dllee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this thread is about light Onshore wind getting out thru wind driven shorepound with little angle to help getting out.
By all means, adding sidebites of 10-14 cm and SLIGHTLY reducing main fin is going to help.
Using a lower aspect main fin, more area, less depth helps also.
As does slightly forward strap location.
mark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised no one commented about the possibility of adding a center rear foot strap option. This is certainly far easier than adding thruster boxes.

With a smaller fin it would probably be beneficial to have your rear foot more over the center of the board. Looking at the pictures of the Blast on line you probably could add a single forward insert and use the forward fin screw as the back insert. I would use a two hole insert mounted sideways so you can use two screws to prevent twisting. Set the distance of the forward rear strap insert from your fin box screw at your normal foot strap spacing. If you have the one of the older Blasts with a power box then you may have to also install a rear insert because the fin screw will probably be too far back.

The inside Blast front strap insert spacings appear to be similar to the outboard spacing on a free style wave so you might be fine not adding any more front strap inserts. Using the fin box screw would place the rear strap slightly forward of the outboard strap options. This would probably allow you to use one of the more forward positions on front strap holes and place you in a bit more of an upright position.

If you do decide to use the fin box screw you will also need a slightly longer one to allow for the foot strap thickness.
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Adding Side Fins??? Reply with quote

I see little point in adding side fins to a 125L board ... other than making it more draggy. Maybe it is just me, but I actually see no point in having 3 fins if one is doing B&J, not to mention freestyle, freeride or slalom. Side fins just slow you down, and give a false impression of control when instead you have just more drag. It might be a different story in waves, but I have no idea because (unfortunately) I do not do waves.

My 90L FSW is back to single fin, and the 81 uses tiny 6 cm sides ... not sure why they are still there but I wish the boxes were not. They just add weight and ruin the laminar flow at the bottom of the boards ...
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

??
OP wants to slow it down for control.
I like tris for landing jumps, as 3 fin boards tend to spin out less on landings and give higher angles for takeoffs.
Some 3 fin boards are slow, like 12+ side fins toed a lot.
But small 10's almost straight with a 24 sized freeride fin is great for jumping and making most landings fully planing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: