myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
3rd ave during baytrail closure
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main purpose of the boat ramp is for launching emergency rescue craft. The lower kite beach is currently used but there will not be access after the retaining wall is constructed. However there should be no reason why a kayak could not be hand launched from this ramp. The bike trail is off limits to motor vehicles so the general public will not be able to drive their cars to the ramp.

Thank you jfp18 for the link to the plans. I studied the access point drawings and can add some additional comments. Drawings AP1-3 show the details of each access point moving west to east from the golf course to the lower kite beach.

AP1 is the new proposed boat ramp. It is located approximately where the little used upwind windsurf ramp is currently located. The slope is 14.29 degrees and it is 16 feet wide. The slope is probably less than the existing ramp so it could be used for launching windsurfers. The 16 foot width would probably allow people to pass on it. There are no handrails show in the plans.

AP2 is the replacement ramp for the existing windsurf launch. It will be 5 feet wide and has a slope of 8.33 degrees. Because of the reduced slope it will be longer than the current ramp. It appears to start closer to the rigging lawn and wraps around the point to approximately where the existing ramp enters the water. No handrails are shown in the drawings. The 8.33 degree grade would be considered too steep for wheel chair access.

AP3 will be located where the entrance road ends where you make left turn into the parking lot. It will provide access to the lower kite beach. This ramp is 6 feet wide and has a slope of 5 degrees or less. It also has hand rails and is most likely considered a wheel chair access.

AP3 also shows the next access which will be located east of the lower kite beach. The plans show a 4 1/2 foot wide stairs leading to the other end of the kite beach.

For those interested in the access of the other points further east please refer to the drawings AP4 - AP10. I briefly looked at them and they appear to be relatively user friendly for windsurfers, Several are wheel chair accessible with handrails but they should be wide enough for windsurfers to enter and exit from the water.

The link to the plans is below.

https://fostercitylevee.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/foster_city_levee_improvements_project_conformed_plan.pdf

I would also like to thank those involved with the planning of these access points. From the plans it appears that their input was valuable in designing access solutions that will work for the majority of the users.

Last edited by mark on Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
mac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the local windsurfers worked closely with the city to make sure that access would work, and testified at the BCDC hearing where it was approved that they were satisfied. I know, I voted for it only after I heard that assurance.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Some of the local windsurfers worked closely with the city to make sure that access would work, and testified at the BCDC hearing where it was approved that they were satisfied. I know, I voted for it only after I heard that assurance.

Nice work people
jpf18

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUCARO wrote:
Nice work people
Same here, big thanks for all the legwork and staying on top of things. Also, based on what is being said here, great work by Foster City for reaching out and working with stakeholders in a meaningful way.
mark

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Future updates when available will be posted to the below link:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35248&sid=14ff6381f037371cd0ffb7a1cdda0f99
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: