myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 303, 304, 305 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvCali

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: More Stick! Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Good you figured out how to keep it somewhat stable. Best in 15 mph wind, head upwind in stronger, pump and bear off slightly in weaker wind.
Good for 1.5 meter sail sizing.
I still use my 600 sq cm foil in anything over 5-13 mph breezes.
My Larkspur bud uses 450 sq cm.

I am happy with the Moses 790. I still have ways to go before being proficient on foil, and given that I foil once maybe every 30 windsurf days it will take a few years to be so!

Today Stick was good if rather short lived. I was out powered up with the venerable Exocet 2008 and a new ACX 6.0. Those ACXs are definitely the old person slalom friend! Robert doing fine with JP 120, Moses and 4.5. Wind dies completely at 4:30 but we get almost 2 hours in.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dv—I think you will find, eventually, that foils are more “old person” friendly than slalom boards. I had figured to transition to slalom sailing once I quit racing formula, but I found slalom sailing upwind to be pretty hard on my knees. Downwind, if you stay in the wave, it’s great. And learning to foil without panicking is definitely hard, particularly on a race foil. But perseverance is rewarded, and floating when it is working well is just about as good as it gets.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Dv—I think you will find, eventually, that foils are more “old person” friendly than slalom boards. I had figured to transition to slalom sailing once I quit racing formula, but I found slalom sailing upwind to be pretty hard on my knees. Downwind, if you stay in the wave, it’s great. And learning to foil without panicking is definitely hard, particularly on a race foil. But perseverance is rewarded, and floating when it is working well is just about as good as it gets.

You are probably right, the foil might come handy when I cross into ... what ... real old age? Shocked (I am 62.) I have been really in no much mood to learn a new sport and for now foil is reserved for very light days when I don't feel like rigging my last cammed sail. Eventually I'll get better, no hurry.

But talking of exilirating days: great one day yesterday! On RRD FSW 90 and the new Spy 5.4 I had a completely overpowered blast at the usual Stick.

The new sail is absolutely great. It manages to reach a respectable speed (2"/27.8 knots yesterday, according to the garmin), is ultra stable, and if you want you can actually open it out a bit and it slow things down.

Interesting that the Spy works like a charm on the RRD 90 but it is clearly not driving enough for the Exocet Slalom 62 (wide). The Exocet works fine with the ACX 5.4 (its best sail is really 6.5), but the Spy does not seem to provide enough downward force and makes the board feel on the edge of unstable. The opposite of the RRD, that is not really capable to take advantage of the extra drive of the ACX 5.4 (it feels on the edge), but shines with the Spy 5.4.

Great February! Time to migrate from Stick?
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good you got a good day.
When you use a freeride or wave sail on a slalom board, lower your boom to add mbpressure to control board.
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Good you got a good day.
When you use a freeride or wave sail on a slalom board, lower your boom to add mbpressure to control board.

Or move the foot forward a bit, but the Spy on the Slalom is just an "emergency" if the wind drops ...

More interesting is the performance of the RRD FSW with ACX vs Spy. I noticed last year that the FSW board is less in control, above a certain speed, than the slalom board. A possible explanation is that the round rails "catch", slow you down, and make the extra power of a freerace sail like the ACX harder to manage. On a slalom shape you have a much more steady and slippery ride even if when overpowered. But put the Spy on the FSW and it might be a bit slower, not sure about that, but it shines!

The Spy, by the way, is a freewave/power-wave sail, with the signature Point-7 slippery front pull feeling with zero back end pressure (and S-battens at the bottom that actually work to slow you down). https://point-7.com/zero-21-overview/spy/?q=%2Fzero-21-overview%2Fspy%2F The Wave sail in the line up is the Salt.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocker and small rig triangle makes less stable.
Long flat rocker, big triangle, heavy rig, pointy fin makes stable at stick.
At Hatchery, rigging a 1.5 meter smaller sail with fsw gives plenty of stability and ease of sailing.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, moving mast base forward for freeware sail does'nt work, because those sails are designed for upright rig angle.
Lowering boom and less lift sail does all you can.
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: 2021-02-20 Greyhound Rock Reply with quote

I did not personally sail today, but I saw a windsurfer and a kiter off of Greyhound Rock today. I watched for a while. They were going in and out making slow progress downwind. It seemed to be what they wanted to do. Next available landing downwind would be Scott Creek Beach. When I last saw them they still had two miles to go and were south of China Ladder.

The kiter was on a black and orange kite with the orange in the middle area and black all around. The windsurfer was on a black and light blue and white sail, possibly a Goya.

I windsurfed that area one and a half years ago and have never seen anyone else out there, but have heard of others sailing it.

Anyone know the adventurers?

W1
bert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Stick on Tuesday Reply with quote

Finally pried myself loose from the old rocking chair to wing the Stick this Tuesday at 1. It was not a good session. I slogged the entire time as the wind was light and I was using my new 90L Quatro board. It has less stability in lighter wind than my 110L Naish wingboard. Additionally my left arm was hurting lifting the 4.6 wing as I just got my second vaccine shot (Pfizer) 2 days ago Crying or Very sad

IMG_20201210_132815_1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.98 MB
 Viewed:  6632 Time(s)

IMG_20201210_132815_1.jpg

ctuna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: How the parking at the stick this year Bert? Reply with quote

How the parking at the stick this year Bert?
It it still double park behind the RV's?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 303, 304, 305 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 304 of 329

Jump to: