myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 304, 305, 306 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's gotten worse Charlie..Some RV's parked on the otherside of the road now. You can still double park if you're lucky to find a spot and the cops don't hassle you. Sadly the situation is not going to improve. Sure miss the good old days...
ctuna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Thanks Bert Reply with quote

Now I am wishing the construction will clean things up where as before
I feared it would close the place down.
Goodwind

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bert wrote:
It's gotten worse Charlie..Some RV's parked on the otherside of the road now. You can still double park if you're lucky to find a spot and the cops don't hassle you. Sadly the situation is not going to improve. Sure miss the good old days...

The place doesn't look pretty but parking isn't so bad because you can now double park on the RV's side or anywhere along the road on the opposite side. We are in COVID time, cops won't bother you anymore. The family who lived in the first RV by our launch area has moved to some government provided housing in Sacramento, and the RV was given to the guy who lives in the second RV. As such, we've gained one parting spot. Wink I windsurfed there last Saturday with three other guys. Plenty of parking to go around.
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodwind wrote:
bert wrote:

The place doesn't look pretty but parking isn't so bad because you can now double park on the RV's side or anywhere along the road on the opposite side. We are in COVID time, cops won't bother you anymore. The family who lived in the first RV by our launch area has moved to some government provided housing in Sacramento, and the RV was given to the guy who lives in the second RV. As such, we've gained one parting spot. Wink I windsurfed there last Saturday with three other guys. Plenty of parking to go around.

I agree with Goodwind.

What is missing is Park maintenance. The Park has been pretty much abandoned for years. Sporadically working toilets, water, shower, zero repairs. Instead of fixing the wood barriers around the park they put incredibly ugly cement blocks all around. And those were almost as much an access obstacle as the RVs. Compare it with the pristine maintenance at Crissy or Coyote ... one wonders why ... maybe it is because Stick is close to a people of color community ...

Maybe instead of complaining about less fortunate people we should reach out to the local community and organize to improve the conditions of the site. Or at least, when the pandemic lift, we should finally have a cleaning day ... the access to the water has not been cleaned of rocks in years and it looks like a glacier run off. Maybe I'll propose a date for June or something.

And of course let not forget Goodwind contribution! The wonderful carpet area is his gift! Thank you!
mac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DV--an excellent idea. A community of users is effective with those who manage parks, and the broader the coalition that they hear from, the more the pressure for maintenance. I'm pretty sure that Candlestick is a state park, while Coyote is San Mateo County and Crissy is a national park. I've been effective in Berkeley by staying involved, working with the other users, and helping raise funds for park maintenance and improvement. Having local people of color part of your effort will definitely help. As will finding the head ranger and asking him how you can help. Staff that have been besieged by budget cuts get a kind of bunker mentality and don't think enough about how to work with the end users to make things better.
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:08 am    Post subject: 2021-03-07 Natural Bridges Reply with quote

Nice day at Natural Bridges today. Only two surfers and I were out. Fun Session.

GPS Track below:

2021-03-07 WS Natural Bridges.png
 Description:
Windsurfing Natural Bridges 03-07-2021
 Filesize:  640.06 KB
 Viewed:  8175 Time(s)

2021-03-07 WS Natural Bridges.png

fabe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2021-03-07 Natural Bridges Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:
Nice day at Natural Bridges today. Only two surfers and I were out. Fun Session.

GPS Track below:

Where do you park and launch at natural bridges ?
Looks promising today
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Natural Bridges Parking Reply with quote

After paying $10 at the Kiosk (or $125 for an Annual Pass to all Northern California State Parks) you can park along the drive in, or preferably take the windy drive in to the parking lot. There is grassy areas for rigging and then it is a walk down a small hill to the beach and then a fairly wide beach to cross. The windsurfers are supposed to launch/land to the right side of the beach looking out at the ocean.

Please give way to the people on the paths, beach and water. Most do not have a clue as to what a windsurfer is and do not seem to know it might be wise to give you some space when carrying the gear or launching and landing in the shore pound. We want to keep this launch and it is best done by making sure our use does not interfere with anyone else's.
ctuna

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Side note the Parking pass is also good for San Luis entry Reply with quote

Golden State Poppy pass is also good for San Luis Entry.
If you have never been to Nor Cal Parks there are a few worth
seeing just for the value of seeing it that the pass gets you into.
I would say Big Basin is one of those but I don't know if it's open yet
after the fire last year.
I would scope out Natural Bridges a lot before attempting it .
The Kelp Beds are problematic you need a Weed Fin for this place
unless you are really skilled at staying upwind. You have to go downwind
at the launch to get upwind most of the time.
There is a channel which is a nice flat spot between the two kelp beds.
I hate kelp.
People end up on a downwinder here and there is no place to come in for
about a mile as there are cliffs . I have called a few rescues in here.
Shorebreak can be fierce at times.
bert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Monday March 15 Reply with quote

There was a precipitous drop in the wind on this side of the Bay at 4 pm. I hope that no one was sailing too far from shore when it occurred..I played it safe and sailed at Shoreline on this cold day.

newgraph (1).gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.41 KB
 Viewed:  7696 Time(s)

newgraph (1).gif

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 304, 305, 306 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 305 of 329

Jump to: