myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Kauai?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmclimbhigh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving an old thread....

Has anyone sailed or kited Kaua'i recently? Heading there late summer/early fall and looking for some info re: gear rentals and locations. I've surfed all around the island, but now that I'm hooked on windsurfing, I'd love to sail a few days while I'm there? Thoughts? Opinions?

Mahalo!
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went summer before last, no rentals to be had. I should have just checked a quiver bag with my biggest waveboard since I could have sailed an unsurfed wave directly from our hotel most afternoons.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planning for lighter breezes, maybe 7-15 mph, Wingfoiling makes the most sense. A typical wing board is 6' x 28", somewhat handy.
That's why we are all learning to wingfoil.
And you can WingSUP in +10, ride waves, and stay upwind.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been very windy on Maui, so I'd imagine it'd be windy there. I experienced very windy conditions there on the North and South shores. Bring EVERYTHING YOU NEED. Check your bag before you leave. One missing screw could screw you.

Poipu and Tunnels can be epic. Tunnels is shallow at low tide. Check tide charts.
mmclimbhigh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the follow up. I had a feeling that things haven't changed much. Last time in Kaua'i ('19), I saw kiters around Wailua Bay and the Kitchen's area. I talked with a few folks who have sailed Kalapaki and said it can be great. Stellar options in the area, but a pretty low key vibe. That's what we love about the island anyways!

I reached out to Celeste about 'Anini and rentals. She said she no longer rents gear and only works with beginners. Too many swimmers to haul ass around 'Anini these days.

No worries, I'll be pretty focused on surfing and chillin' anyway. Thought I'd take a stab at it though. Guess it's time to step up my kite game so that I can travel much easier. Lugging 2 boards, 3 sails, 2 masts, and a boom or two can be pretty painful for only a 10 day trip!

Cheers,
M
SPQR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now the road into Hanalei is closed due to a massive lanslide on the hill descending into Hanalei. The people in Hanalei and beyond are cut off from the rest of the island. Locals have created a ferry service crossing the river to move folks and supplies as needed. I hear another landslide between Waikoko's and Wainiha has taken a big section of road out as well. That said, it isn't as windy on the north shore as it was in the 80's or 90's, climate change has had a huge affect on the trades. Wing gear and foil would probably be a better call although because of currents and rocks etc. at Y Camp you might need your A game. Backdoor channel probably has better wind than Y Camp but once out beyond the reef you definitely need your A game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: