myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
prove me wrong.... coronavirus is not airborne
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 70, 71, 72  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vientomas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mlaronde wrote:
Hey I don't care what floats your boat, but ask yourselves, what do all these LGBT????+++ (sorry lost count of the new letters) folks have in common? Answer: They won't be having kids.

A desire to feel happiness and acceptance whilst awash in a society made up largely of people cemented in a binary construct of sexuality and gender who cannot, or elect not to, consider any alterntives to the biblical teachings of what it means to be a man and a woman in the garden of eden.

What is it that you have in common with the LGBTQ population?
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my second shot of Covid 19 vaccine today, so now I've done my very best to protect myself from what can be such a deadly disease.

Yet, maybe I would never have contracted Covid 19, and I just bought into all the hype and fear surrounding the disease, and I ultimately didn't have enough faith in the strength of my older body to fend it off. Still though, I did make it over a year without catching it just by being cautious and prudent in my activities. It's all water under the bridge now.

Yet, like I said earlier, I've never received a flu shot in my life, and I will likely continue to avoid getting one into the future. I guess that I'm not fearful enough of the flu to pursue a regular yearly program of flu shots.

Into the future, I still face another vaccine dilemma that I need to ponder. Will I get the Shingles? Both my mother and sister got it, and it proved to be a difficult and painful problem for them to overcome. I'm inclined to pursue the vaccine, but I've heard that you should avoid it if you have a history of being allergic to Neomycin like I am. It's a tough choice to make under those circumstances.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWC. I don’t understand your resistance to the flu vaccine. One only needs to take a look at the pandemic of 1918 to understand why vaccines can reduce your risk.

That flu decimated the population of 20 to 40 year olds. Not the younger or older. The simple reason is that that influenza was of a different type that influenzas that were seen by that age group. The older folks immune systems had an exposure to a lessor version of the same flu while they were younger.

Flu vaccines don’t hide influenza from ones immune system. They train the immune system. It’s sorta like saying “I could climb that peak without training” But, we all know that training will make that peak climb less of an issue.

So, even though the flu vaccine may miss its mark, the cumulative protection we have through multiple vaccines may provide some ability to fight off the next big one.

Skipping the flu vaccine is a different deal than skipping the CV vaccine. Partly, because our way of life has been altered by this pandemic and partly because corona viruses have such ability to mutate.
mac

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cases are rising in 20 states. US total up 7% this week. The impact of vaccine resistance.

We can only hope that enough of the far right whacky vaccine resisters contract COVID and either change their mind about the value of vaccines, die, or become sterile so that evolution takes its course and this strain of ignorance dies out.

Anticipating screeching from folks like NW and buggy whip, who don’t recognize irony when it smacks them in the face, I would clarify that my point is that mindless egotism and lack of concern for your fellow citizen is the great failure of neo-conservatism. Or, as it is sometimes called, the cult of Trump.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead,

Regarding the flu, I've always had an extremely good resistance to it my whole life, even through many different periods where there was wide spread of the virus around me. I guess I've taken a position of not wanting to add a lot of concocted chemistry to my system when it's not needed.

Of course, as we age, our bodies aren't always up for the job. Having had a couple of heart attacks, I regularly take a number of prescription medications to better improve my chances of avoiding another heart attack. Also, I have to admit to having BPH, so to help normalize the condition, I take prescription medications to help out. I'm really not against the AMA and the health care industry like some folks are.

At this stage in my life I try to be smarter and more proactive about my health, and as a result, I'm much more open to medical science and what it can do for me. Yet, I try not to get too paranoid and overly worried about my health and imagine myself to be an easy victim of every threat out there. Life is about taking risks and living with them. For good or ill, I think that we all try to find a balance that we are comfortable with.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are worried a prick of stupid flu shot or covid shot?

If you have any minor surgery the anesthesiologist will pump your body up with about 9 different drugs before, during and after surgery. A more complicated surgery those numbers go way up. If you are a severe alcoholic, add in a drip of alcohol to keep you going while in hospital. Don't want any detox now.

Now add in some of these agents below (possible current drugs you may be on), and see how you feel as they interact with your anesthesia.

If you are worried about a stupid vaccine or flu shot, I would consider holding off on any modern medicine and become a Christian scientist.

https://www.froedtert.com/sites/default/files/upload/docs/professionals/physicians/preoperative/perioperative-medication-management.pdf
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you guys get your shingles vaccine? 1 out of 3 people will contract it in there lifetime.
https://www.cdc.gov/shingles/surveillance.html

For those that didn’t, have a great time with that excruciating experience.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

berkeley wrote:
We can only hope that enough of the far right whacky vaccine resisters contract COVID and either change their mind about the value of vaccines, die, or become sterile so that evolution takes its course and this strain of ignorance dies out.

Boggsy, Just so you know, I don't hope you contract COVID, die or become sterile.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
coboardhead,

Regarding the flu, I've always had an extremely good resistance to it my whole life, even through many different periods where there was wide spread of the virus around me. I guess I've taken a position of not wanting to add a lot of concocted chemistry to my system when it's not needed.

Of course, as we age, our bodies aren't always up for the job. Having had a couple of heart attacks, I regularly take a number of prescription medications to better improve my chances of avoiding another heart attack. Also, I have to admit to having BPH, so to help normalize the condition, I take prescription medications to help out. I'm really not against the AMA and the health care industry like some folks are.

At this stage in my life I try to be smarter and more proactive about my health, and as a result, I'm much more open to medical science and what it can do for me. Yet, I try not to get too paranoid and overly worried about my health and imagine myself to be an easy victim of every threat out there. Life is about taking risks and living with them. For good or ill, I think that we all try to find a balance that we are comfortable with.

SWC. My Dad was a college professor who didn't miss a single day of work in his entire career. He was exposed to every possible flu through his work and, never, had so much as a sniffle. Now, he road his bike through Sdak winters five miles each way to work. That daily rush of immune stimulation might have had something to do with it. He didn't even have a Doctor.

Everything changed for him when he had a heart attack at 75. He started getting the flu every damn year. He was getting the vaccine so the severity might have been less. But, his older immune system had forgotten his earlier resistance.

That's just my Dad. Your results may vary. I inherited my Dad's arrogance regarding my superior immune system. Where I differ is that I'm also aware that getting older changes everything.
real-human

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

note, I did not check to see if it was peer reviewed.

Dramatic Drop in COVID-19 Cases Seen Among Vaccinated Healthcare Workers
By Reuters Staff

March 24, 2021

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/947971?src=mkm_covid_update_210324_MSCPEDIT&uac=186031HX&impID=3269695&faf=1&fbclid=IwAR20CrL6FUwOLoJ6gGrhBeSc7qhJxKjRVet5u37b6op8CJuo9kl5wjeeWAA

(Reuters Health) - Data from healthcare workers at medical centers in the United States and Israel are confirming the effectiveness of both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines against COVID-19.

Quote:
The reports all appear as letters in The New England Journal of Medicine.

Pooled employee data from the University of California, San Diego and the University of California Los Angeles health systems shows that during a system of aggressive testing, conducted during a surge of COVID-19 cases in the general population, the rate of new infections among the staff dropped dramatically, beginning the second week after the first dose was given.

Testing showed new cases among 2.5% of those tested within the first week after the first dose, 1.2% during the second week, 0.7% in the third week, 0.4% during the week after the second dose was given and less than 0.2% in the second week after the second dose.

The absolute risk of testing positive for COVID-19 among the healthcare workers was higher than what might have been expected from the initial data for the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, but the workers were being tested regularly and aggressively, and there was a surge of community infections at the time, the researchers said.

The original Pfizer trial did not test asymptomatic volunteers and there was only a single screening of asymptomatic people before the second dose was administered in the Moderna study.

"The rarity of positive test results 14 days after administration of the second dose of vaccine is encouraging and suggests that the efficacy of these vaccines is maintained outside a trial setting," said the team, led by Dr. Jocelyn Keehner of University of California San Diego Health.

In North Texas, where workers were also vaccinated in the midst of the largest COVID-19 surge the region had seen, 2.61% of unvaccinated employees developed the infection versus 1.82% of partially-vaccinated workers and 0.05% of fully-vaccinated employees.

The effect on the workforce "has been dramatic," said the research team led by Dr. William Daniel of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas.

"We observed a greater than 90% decrease in the number of employees who are either in isolation or quarantine," they said. "This decrease has preserved the workforce when it was most needed" during the surge.

At Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Center in Jerusalem, in a community with a high incidence of COVID-19 infections, data from vaccinated healthcare workers shows that the Pfizer vaccine seemed to offer major protection against the U.K. variant of the disease, known as B.1.1.7.

Vaccination "results in a major reduction of new cases of COVID-19 among those who received two doses of the vaccine, even when a surge of the B.1.1.7 variant was noted in up to 80% of cases," said Dr. Shmuel Benenson of Hadassah Hebrew and colleagues.

"These findings suggest that widespread and effective vaccination among healthcare workers provides a safe environment," they said, "even in the presences of a high rate of SARS-CoV-2 infection in the community."

SOURCES: https://bit.ly/3f7io8l, https://bit.ly/3d2dbvQ and https://bit.ly/3cclPso The New England Journal of Medicine, online March 23, 2021.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Page 43 of 72

Jump to: