myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Duotone XT extension, a mixed bag
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
konajoe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of line, available in the US, works for these things?
dhmark

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

North Beach Windsurfing claims to sell OEM line, says "requires this exact line to work properly." I don't know about that, but the line that came with my extension is distinctly different than other spectra or dyneema lines I have bought, its definitely less smooth, more "knotty" texture to it. Another store Boardsports California sells both Chinook Spectra and Robline (dyneema) and simply states that to use on an XT simply buy 7' length. It says specifically that the Robline is smooth, but that is the opposite of what my line is.
willysp

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhmark wrote:
I have HSM and Goya and there is not enough clearance above the pulleys for the loop and go. The middle pulley on my HSMs have very big diameter edges, if it was the same as the other pulleys it would work. My brother claims to be able to downhaul within a few inches by hand, and then do the last bit with the ratchet, but I don't know how its possible with just 2 pulleys. Years of using a rig winch have made me weak.

I use my power XT with Goya, neilpryde, Sailworks, Worldwinds, and Northwave. No problem at all with either of those brands. You can thread the rope through two different holes to reach the clear depending the position of the pulleys (I think Duotone has videos about it. Pretty sure the manual talks about it) The Goya is a 2019 3.7 fringe. There is very little clearance to use the loop and go but you can thread the line through one pulley first and then move one side to the other pulley.

To rig: you are supposed to pull downhaul as much as you can with your hand and then use the ratchet. Doing it that way saves a ton of time.
To de rig: the ratchet must have pretty decent tension to properly work; that is why the first 10 clicks or so loosening the downhaul it works fine but then it does not work. You can either remove the rope from the cleat so the rope is loose enough to remove the loop and go, or you can also press with one hand on the ropes to create tension so the ratchet works. All this sounds like a lot of work but after few uses you will notice the you can rig way faster than with a winch.

Regarding rope replacement: I believe the OEM rope is 5.5mm thick. The formuline that some windsurfing stores sell are 4.5 so the rope slips. I believe chinook sells a 5mm rope which works fine. The original is expensive but it lasts a very long time.

It is around 60 dollars more expensive than a regular extension but they are very reliable, save time, and very convenient. Surprised
konajoe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More input about lines and diameters would be appreciated. What I had thought was my original rope measures about 4mm.
dhmark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture of the Duotone rope (white) and other rope I use, I think its 4mm dyneema rope bought off ebay. The Duotone rope seems a tiny bit thicker, but looking at it carefully maybe its the same. It also seems a bit bumpier, the tufts of fibers bend out a bit more. Maybe because its new.

IMG_0277.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  138.75 KB
 Viewed:  12775 Time(s)

IMG_0277.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up my new Hurricanes. Downhauled the biggest one (i.e., greatest DH tension) to the max with one hand and a simple one-handed clamcleat DH tool. Probably could have done it barehanded if necessary.

And that's at 77 and with beaucoup cancer drugs, both of which have absolutely clobbered my strength.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike,

Riding Hurricanes instead of Northwaves this year eh? Let me know how
you like that? Maybe start another thread.

-Craig

isobars wrote:
Just picked up my new Hurricanes. Downhauled the biggest one (i.e., greatest DH tension) to the max with one hand and a simple one-handed clamcleat DH tool. Probably could have done it barehanded if necessary.

And that's at 77 and with beaucoup cancer drugs, both of which have absolutely clobbered my strength.
dhmark

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Just picked up my new Hurricanes. Downhauled the biggest one (i.e., greatest DH tension) to the max with one hand and a simple one-handed clamcleat DH tool.

The XT lets you do it on the water. There's a youtube video of a guy flailing around OP'd and can't waterstart until he puts a few cranks on the extension. I can recall at least one time in recent memory where in order to get back to the beach to increase downhaul, there was a 15 minute schlog each way through dead wind. Not a necessary tool, but has its use.

Last edited by dhmark on Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another alternative is to DH fully before launching and tune offshore with the OH. I do that often and it really makes a difference. Drop in, tweak, waterstart, go.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way too often readers presume such a report is biased by a promotional discount, but if these sails live up to my expectations, I'll do it anyway. I spent hours in Douglas's White Salmon loft Wednesday being tutored by him on their design principles, tuning, materials, etc, and feel that my money (full price) was well spent.

cgoudie1 wrote:
Hey Mike,

Riding Hurricanes instead of Northwaves this year eh? Let me know how
you like that? Maybe start another thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: