myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Deck Pad for Kona One

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mgoetz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Deck Pad for Kona One Reply with quote

Has anybody replaced the EVA decking on a Kona One? Mine is pretty shot. I'd like to replace it with the same pad that partially covers the new Kona but no one seems to sell it. My thoughts are to strip the old one off, apply a grit coating to the deck and then glue on a generic SUP pad. The issue is cutting around the foot strap screw holes and the cenerboard which I guess could be done using some kind of tracing paper. Or I could just let it it continue to shed in my van and sweep it out occasionally.

FullSizeRender.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  645.62 KB
 Viewed:  17882 Time(s)

FullSizeRender.jpg

LUCARO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you cannot buy a replacement from Kona, you can just get a similar sheet of deck pad from North shore inc

https://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=141

This video shows how to do it

https://www.surfertoday.com/windsurfing/how-to-replace-a-kona-one-deck-pad
Mgoetz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip!
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could just tear off the worn-out pads, perform some very crude scraping, and slap some hand-cut new pads on top of the residue (right on top of the old pads, if they weren't as rotten as yours sound). After I'm done, I always lay a tiny bead of Welder's all purpose glue around the edges so they never lift. Buy your chosen pad material in the self-stick version. It saves SO much hassle and mess and fumes.

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=OP.AIkSfyTGcC0utQ474C474&o=5&pid=21.1&w=114&h=114

Some people advise removing every last bit of old padding. I've padded close to a hundred decks without doing that, with zero aesthetic, durability, or performance problems. I've had people ask if my pads were custom or factory.
Mgoetz

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kona One has an EVA deck pad that covers the whole board including the rails. Unless I scrape it clean, I'm afraid it's going to look worse than it does now.
Actually, unless I somehow paint or adhere graphics before coating, it's going to be mostly white and pretty stark. Thanks for the Welders suggestion as I have had issues with peeling in the past.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this.

https://www.aquatichero.com/kona-kona-one-deck-pad-set

And this.

https://www.surfertoday.com/windsurfing/how-to-replace-a-kona-one-deck-pad
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Or you could just tear off the worn-out pads, perform some very crude scraping, and slap some hand-cut new pads on top of the residue (right on top of the old SNIP

If you plan to use your Kona One for formal one design racing do NOT follow Mike Fick’s advice because your board will become non-compliant with the Kona One Design Rules. It may or may not reduce its resale value with “custom” padding. Local racing events may or may not allow your board to complete.

-Dan (Class Measurer for Kona One Design Class Association)

Mgoetz

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbonne - that's exactly what I need but Aquatichero says it's out of stock.
The replacement directions might come in handy though using a generic pad. Thanks.

DanWeiss - thanks for the warning though my decking is in such sad shape that I may have worn the compliance right off the board. I'd like to restore it properly but based on my research and inquiries to several sources, there are no OEM replacement decking available on the market. On a side note, it's my understanding the newer Kona is lighter because of the smaller deck pad but has removable "ballast" that can be added to bring the weight into racing compliance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: