myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SWAP MEET! BRING IT!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CUSalin

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: SWAP MEET! BRING IT! Reply with quote

SWAP MEET! BRING IT

Attention Gorge Wind-Riders –At long last The Columbia Gorge Wind & Water Assoc., (CGW2.org) will be conducting its first 2021 use-gear SWAP MEET in almost two years this coming Memorial Day weekend. Spread the word!

Who?

Windsurfers, Kiters, Paddlers & Foilers with gear to sell - Bring all that good gear you’ve been meaning to sell. Because of pandemic related restrictions on gatherings, there has not been a used-gear swap meet since fall of 2019 so there is a tremendous amount of pent-up demand so bring it on and bring it all!

Beginners, Bargain Hunters, & Wind Riders of all levels – This is your first opportunity in almost two years to browse tons of used gear at bargain prices and catch-up with your wind-riding pals!

Donors & Volunteers – CGW2.org needs volunteers to help set-up (6:30 – 7:30 am) and take-down (noon – 1:00 pm) its trailers full of donated gear for sale. If you’re looking for gear or parts, this will be your opportunity at first dibs! Just show up, or contact us with questions at https://cgw2.org/contact

CGW2.org will also be taking donations of usable undamaged gear at this event. We are in particular need of beginner and youth gear, two-piece masts, undamaged SUP boards & paddles.
We’re grateful for all donations, however, we cannot take damaged gear, or ancient artifacts that have no value.

When?: Sunday May 30th

What time?: 8:00 am to Noon (sellers may set-up as early as 7:00) am.

Where?: Hood River Waterfront Lot #1 (large lot just south of The Hood River Event Site).

Parking?:

For Sellers – Vehicles can enter Lot #1 east-side gate on N. 1st St as early as 7:00am. There will be a $10 exhibitor fee to enter. Cash or check only. There will be lots of space to spread out so bring all your stuff!
For Buyers – Street parking on N. 2nd St., west of Lot #1 and Portway Ave West of N. 2nd is free. Street parking east of Lot #1 on N. 1st St and Portway Ave between Lot #1 and The Event-Site is metered by the hour.

Finally, at this time, Hood River County has been moved into the COVID-19 “low-risk” category. The wearing of masks is optional for the fully vaccinated. The unvaccinated will be expected to attend wearing their mask. If you are ill, experiencing symptoms consistent with COVID-19 (runny nose, fever, cough, etc.) or recently been exposed to another experiencing symptoms, please stay home.

willysurf

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've attended a swap meet in over a decade. I'm thinking of going to this one and trying to sell some of the old stuff cluttering up my garage. For those of you who have more recent experience/knowledge, how well attended do you think this one will be? I know there is the huge Covid factor but I don't want to go through the hassle of pulling out and packing up gear if it will not be worth it. Will there be a swap in June?

Also, is there usually any interest in non-wind gear like bikes or climbing?

Thanks for any insight.
CUSalin

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-COVID The CGW2 Swaps were VERY well attended. Especially the first and last of the season. This will be The Gorge's first swap meet since 2019 so we expected it to be large.

Sellers can bring any type of gear they have to sell. Note that there will be a $10 exhibitor fee for sellers.

Hope to see you there.

westender

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes

willysurf wrote:

Thanks for any insight.
CUSalin

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
Yes

willysurf wrote:

Thanks for any insight.

You bet! Bring it all! Ski gear, apparel, bikes, paddleboards, etc...

isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did see one fellow waste his time bringing truly ancient, battered, oversized, pretty much useless gear one year. The meet was unadvertised, it was cold and rainy (March!), and only about 6 sellers and as many buyers showed up. Even with the Canadian border closed, pent-up demand in sellers and buyers, early summer weather, and a three-day weekend should make for a big meet this time.

"Old" is in the eye of the beholder and the intended use. Some of the best Gorge boards available, IMO and that of many sailors with hair (if any) the color of mine, are wave boards from 15-20 years ago. Probably my slashiest, fastest, most precise-tracking, smoothest-riding, most trustworthy stick for hammer-down sailing in big, gusty winds and the accompanying chopswell is from 1999. They're hard to find, so I own three of one model just in case one gets dirty or breaks. They're in my CDH collection of boards they'll ultimately have to pry from my Cold, Dead Hands.

I've seen some longboards from the '80s bought as cheap SUP starter boards. I've had sneakers fly off my tarps. I got offers -- and accidentally made some kids teary-eyed -- when I put $5 tags on my dogs. I may bring along a solar panel and a catalytic heater. Ski gear is common. Food. Wind chimes. Hell, my wife has threatened to put $5 tag on ME ... as in "I'll pay you $5 to take him".

Just about anything a WSer, kiter, winger, foiler, etc. might use is found at one Gorge swap meet or another. The key word is "use", as none of us needs more unusable $#!+ in our garages.
willysurf

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...you are saying that I should bring my early 2000's 76L F2 Maui Project in near pristine condition? Was planning on it. Also, trad climbing rack, alpine climbing gear, skis, snowboards and a mt bike. Hadn't thought about shoes/boots etc. I have a lot of work to do.

How much change do you guys bring?
westender

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The buyer will have the correct amount they are offering.
willysurf wrote:

isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! If you're talking about a 2001 Maui Project Wave 8-2, I'd pay several hundred* for that wonderful Gorge board if I weren't in my downsizing phase and didn't still own seven great boards in the general 75-L range. MPWs are phenomenal boards; I've owned at least 10, from ~ 68L to 96 L, and they're all tethered directly to my brain. I think, they respond. Fast for a wave board, extremely turny, silky ride in heavy chop, light weight, and durable jumpers if you pad the deck between the straps.

* Alas, most people believe that new is inherently superior simply because it's new, and won't pony up for old boards regardless of their performance. I'd be (pleasantly) surprised to see yours sell for $100. Somebody's going to get a great deal. (I have a flyer for the 2001 MPW 8-2/76L containing WSMag's and my own appraisals. I'll bring it along in case you want to display it with the board.)

When I was in a buying mode, I'd take three things to every swap meet: a satchel full of magazine reviews, a short list culled from those mags, and at least a thousand bucks. I went as long as several meets finding nothing on my list, but in one meet I found and bought seven boards on my short list. Ya never know. I'd take 'em home, sail 'em, re-sell any that didn't match my sailing style, keep the winners, and sail them all every summer. I have some boards about 20 years old that I will not sell for four figures until I flat can't sail any more.

Beats the HELL out of trying to demo boards, cuts prices by at least 90%, and keeps my face in a perpetual smile. I still demo a carefully chosen new board or two each year, health permitting, and have STILL found VERY few boards that matched those MPWs. All of the serious contenders are from 1999 to about 2007.

Tip: CLEAN 'EM UP. Many people have asked whether my latest toy is brand new, even if it's 10-20 years old. Almost any grunge succumbs quickly to a pair of saw horses, a hose, some cleaning supplies, and 15-30 minutes. (Notice that "paint' is not even on my list. It's seldom necessary.)

Mike

willysurf wrote:
So...you are saying that I should bring my early 2000's 76L F2 Maui Project in near pristine condition? Was planning on it. Also, trad climbing rack, alpine climbing gear, skis, snowboards and a mt bike. Hadn't thought about shoes/boots etc. I have a lot of work to do.

willysurf

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars, nobody was at all interested in my F2 Maui Project wave at the swap. If you want it, I will sell it to you cheap. It's an 8' 2" 76 L in near mint condition. Please rescue it from my garage and ultimately the dump.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: