myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Freestyle Sails for Foiling
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhorton1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Freestyle Sails for Foiling Reply with quote

Has anyone had luck with freestyle sails for foiling? Looking for a crossover no-cam lightwind sail. Intrigued by the Aerotech Air-X...

Intended use would be foiling in 10-15 mph wind, freeride finning in 15+ mph winds.

Quite a few in my area use the Ezzy Hydra/Hydra Pro. But that's ~$800, while the Aerotech Air-X is ~$500. If I can get similar performance for less $, I'm all about it.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly use power wave sails, most of which work well with little downhaul and super baggy outhaul. If breeze comes up, add down, then out as needed.
Compared to Hydras, maybe I'm losing 7%, but I can windsurf in higher winds with regular sails.
Hydras have huge range and need less re-tuning as wind changes.
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Freestyle Sails for Foiling Reply with quote

rhorton1 wrote:
Has anyone had luck with freestyle sails for foiling? Looking for a crossover no-cam lightwind sail. Intrigued by the Aerotech Air-X...

Intended use would be foiling in 10-15 mph wind, freeride finning in 15+ mph winds.

Quite a few in my area use the Ezzy Hydra/Hydra Pro. But that's ~$800, while the Aerotech Air-X is ~$500. If I can get similar performance for less $, I'm all about it.

Balz does https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP6G7781lXc
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Severne Freeks for foiling.
I had a Sailworks Flyer which foiled up earlier and also cruised through gusts better, but the Freeks are more pumpable, also have high lift, and have a higher top end control. Plus I have a personal preference for non cambered sails.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use freestyle sails for wind foiling. I like how they are designed for power and low rig tension, and that they have a higher draft. They generate a lot of power, and I would rarely rig bigger than 4.0 for the Bay Area. Pumping had a nice spring loaded feel. I was using S2Maui Jesters and Duotone Idol LTD.
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tested power wave, freeride, race & freestyle sails with my foil. Each had an advantage & disadvantage which required adjustments here & there in technique. Freestyle sails work very well for the reasons Kevin stated and I would add they are very light weight. If you are a freestyle sailor it is a nice transition to switch from foiling to finning. Since you will be switching from foiling to freeride sailing, I would add some caution with freestyle sails. Freestyle sails are designed to get going quickly, shut off quickly & rotate easily. These characteristics can make them a handful for freeride sailing powered up. That spring loaded feel Kevin was talking about doesn’t go away when lit up finning; it is magnified. Using a freestyle sail will probably require a major change in rigging philosophy & sailing technique for your freeride sailing.

Coachg
surfsuppp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you I use the Maui Sail switches, howeverI completely unrig them back to olden days where the battens are past the mast and the leech is tighter. Looks a little funny but pumps up really well and then performs well enough when overpowered though it doesnt really ever shut down and with the tight leech it is hard to get rid of the excess wind. Tried the 5.0 idol the other day just not quite enough wind to get it pumped up onto the foil.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Freestyle Sails for Foiling Reply with quote

rhorton1 wrote:

You didn't say what size sail you want (wind range is pretty meaningless, since "15 mph finning" winds is pretty much 9.0-10.0 territory.)

But back to to your foiling sail quest, check out

https://www.northwavesails.com/product/sinewave/5?cp=true&sa=false&sbp=true&q=false&category_id=2 .

Excerpt:
Our lightest sail ever with a wave-cut bottom and 4 battens. The Sinewave powers well, and de-powers even better. For foiling, wave-riding and freestyle, this sail responds quickly to downwind maneuvers. About a half-pound lighter than our other sails, the Sinewave is easy to handle. Because of our auto-batten system, the sail is extremely stable when luffed, which makes for a smooth ride on the foil and predictable rotation on the jibe. Sized 3.2-5.2

Never mind the list price, as excellent used ones are available.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Freestyle Sails for Foiling Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
You didn't say what size sail you want (wind range is pretty meaningless, since "15 mph finning" winds is pretty much 9.0-10.0 territory

Maybe for heavy weights, but not light or middle weights. 15 mph is 6.5-7.5 range for me depending on how steady the wind & how high the gusts are.

Coachg
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had an excellent day windfoiling on a 1995 North Convert 5.0 I gusty, switching, 5-21 mpg foggy Berkeley.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: