myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hip Replacement
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DelmarEdward

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Hip Replacement Reply with quote

Hi- long time no talk to. I have crappy hips due to a deformity of my femoral heads called cam deformity, and will get my right hip replaced in October. I was just out for the first time in 2 years and did well for me, harness and footstraps and no cartwheels. But my hip was killing me afterwards.

If you google windsurfing after a hip replacement mostly you get responses from over 10 years ago on iwindsurf.

I'm wondering if there's any newer stories out there, maybe one of you guys, some of you are in your 60s or 70s, any of you had one and are still windsurfing? Maybe you know someone personally. I'm 54 and have spent 3 years now in pain, bone on bone, and it's time, I can't walk a half a mile.

Thanks for reading, and I'd appreciate any stories.
AG80

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will be able to windsurf after hip replacement. Be diligent in your rehab to regain ROM and strength. I have friends who have had hip replacement and have done well, but don't do any impact activity. I have had knee replacement and have been able to return to windsurfing, but I don't jump or do anything radical. Sailed in 25-30 mph winds last week and my replaced knee did well, my other knee is sore.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Hip Replacement Reply with quote

DelmarEdward wrote:
I'm 54 and have spent 3 years now in pain, bone on bone, and it's time, I can't walk a half a mile.

i can't add any stories beyond that thread a decade ago, but I suspect you know the answer and, understandably, want confirmation. IMO, you just gave it above: it's time. My bud Randy waited until scans and his surgeon said he essentially had no joints left to replace, extending his pain and making the surgery more difficult.

I'm sure you've researched it, and found that replacements last 15-20 years, sometimes much longer. Sports which involve impact, including falling, are discouraged, but 1) it's only water and 2) I'd guess that planting our feet and legs into an anchored triangle and supporting our weight with our harness relieves our hips of much of the stresses of less constrained sports.

If your new hips do become problematic some day, there's also strapless windSUPs like I used after knee surgery. Those REALLY take a load off our legs, yet still enable us to sail in big winds and swell. Mine is designed and intended for wave sailing, and handles just about any wind the Gorge can throw at it.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sail with a gentlemen who is approximately 70 and has had both hips
replaced (and his knees also). He still sails Gorge conditions very well.
He's also still an active ski instructor.

Two things I think are important to note. He's always been in excellent shape. He's gnarly tough.

YMMV

-Craig
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my hip replaced 1.5 years ago. What to consider - My surgeon was a kiteboarder and said that using glue is fast and secure, but is more prone to giving way and will not last as long as:

Letting the bone grow around the femur insert and the hip insert without glue. That's what I chose, but the complete healing time is long. For me - one year before I could really begin serious strength building of the legs. However, I was playing golf within 3 months. The first month, little movement is allowed. Now, at 1.5 years, my hip is 100% and sailing hasn't been an issue. I am 76 and didn't want anything to hinder my future windsurfing, golf, snow skiing, hiking.
DelmarEdward

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the stories I've received, they are encouraging. If there are any more, I'd love to hear them (see them?)

It was great being out on the water again and at the beach, I can't believe i missed a whole year!
LUCARO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look into different types of hip replacement

Posterior (tried and true method, potentially greater risk of dislocation)
Anterior (easier recovery, but used to require a special surgical table)
Hip resurfacing (not offered by many surgeons, but may be better for younger more active people, but not an option for all)

This is not qualified medical advice, lol

https://www.seattlejointsurgeon.com/specialties/hip-resurfacing
rigatoni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is coming up on 3 years since I had my hip replacement. I spent the previous 8 years in various degrees of pain and discomfort. People told me you would know when it was time, and I was at the point where I could no longer enjoy the activities I loved anymore. I had the surgery in mid-August of that year. Anterior approach from Dr. Mast (who also is a semi-regular windsurfer at Crissy Field). I was out biking around Thanksgiving and skiing the following February. I was back on the water windsurfing the following March. The biggest challenge for me was rebuilding the strength and flexibility of atrophied muscles and tendons but after about a year, that became a non-issue.

3 years later, I managed to ski about 20 days this past season, have about 30 days of windsurfing so far, mountain bike every week, and am currently learning to wing foil. My range of motion and flexibility is beyond what it ever was and has allowed me to do all things better than before the surgery. The one thing I would say is that I don't try to do any of these activities at an extreme level (I don't jump at all anymore).

You are doing the right thing by talking to others with similar experiences. I was fairly young (49) at the time of my surgery but was surprised how many others in my age group had the surgery. There are about 5-6 regular kiters/windsurfers at Crissy with hip replacements. One guy has had both done.

I had looked into resurfacing but ultimately decided against it due to the low margin of error in putting that thing in and the high risk level if there are complications. That procedure is a lot less popular than it used to be. With modular total hip replacements, they can go in an replace the bearing surfaces only if they wear out which sort of made the logic of the resurfacing moot. I would also recommend finding a surgeon who specializes in the anterior approach. The incision is 4" long with less cutting of muscle/tendon and a much quicker recovery. Dr. Mast here in SF is the best and would recommend him highly.
ronm41

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Hip Replacement Reply with quote

DelmarEdward wrote:
Hi- long time no talk to. I have crappy hips due to a deformity of my femoral heads called cam deformity, and will get my right hip replaced in October. I was just out for the first time in 2 years and did well for me, harness and footstraps and no cartwheels. But my hip was killing me afterwards.

If you google windsurfing after a hip replacement mostly you get responses from over 10 years ago on iwindsurf.

I'm wondering if there's any newer stories out there, maybe one of you guys, some of you are in your 60s or 70s, any of you had one and are still windsurfing? Maybe you know someone personally. I'm 54 and have spent 3 years now in pain, bone on bone, and it's time, I can't walk a half a mile.

Thanks for reading, and I'd appreciate any stories.

OK, Haven't posted in a long time but thought I would reply to this as my wife has a story of recent hip replacement. Not going to give her age but beyond Medicare. She tore her hip up in 2003 in a kiteboard accident where she was practicing jumping and one foot came out of the footstrap and the other foot remained in. She came down hard and the board wrenched her hip and tore connective tissues. She developed a cyst in the hip joint. Back then the surgery was to repair the tear and the recovery was 6-9 mos. she chose to suck it up and it healed enough and her determination to get better and she did and continued to kiteboard, ski and MTB. Over the years it got worse as the damaged hip deteriorated and went bone to bone. It really started to effect her skiing and kiteboarding but not as bad MTB.

In 2019 she was getting sick of the pain and we also had a friend who got his hip replaced with great results going to a new doc who was doing Anterior hip method and robotic cutting of the pelvic to make way for the capsule. Long story short, she had full hip replacement, surgery lasted 50 minutes, had to stay overnite because the surgery was late in the day and she had to be cleared by a PT to go home. She got cleared and left the next AM. The Doc said he wanted her up and moving right away and stay off bike till the bandage was removed and no mogul skiing for 6 wks. She thought he was kidding and our friend was riding his bike in 3 weeks. Anyway, she had little pain, had bandages removed in 2 weeks and was riding her bike on the street the same day and was riding blue level single track in 20 days. She had little pain and didn't even take much Advil. This was mid Oct and she was skiing as soon as the snow started both BC and resort.

So, bottomline for her, right now, no pain since the surgery, riding MTB, skiing better than ever, still kiteboard and now learning how to Wing.

Her story.......Doc said this is typical of strong athletic patients. BTW, he did 8 hip replacement surgeries that day............
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow!

Them's some encouraging experiences. They emphasize three things:
1. Get a great knee surgeon with very extensive experience. (Travel if necessary.) You don't want to have second thoughts if problems occur.

2. Get in shape in advance. (Work the other leg hard; the benefit transfers measurably.)

3. Do extensive PT afterwards. LISTEN to your PT, and demonstrate that you will comply rigorously so she will trust you to do much of it by the book on your own. (That contralateral benefit transference goes double while healing.)
See
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5465979/

Caveat: My hips are OEM, but I've had many other surgeries, some life-saving, some for mobility and sports.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: