myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hooking In or Free Arm for Foiling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mgoetz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Hooking In or Free Arm for Foiling Reply with quote

Although I'll use my harness lines to help gain speed and flight, once foiling, my stance is fairly upright and I naturally drop out out of the lines. Additionally, I'm still in the beginner stage and prefer tilting the mast around - beyond what I feel the harness lines would allow - to maintain a steady flight. But now I have this terrible elbow tendinitis such that it's too painful sail that way. Is it worth just shortening the harness lines and try to adapt my learning style to being hooked in? Admittedly, I should probably rest it but will soon have the off-season to do that.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shorten harness lines a little.
When barely powered or heading upwind, hook in.
Slightest powered up, unhook and sheet out a bit.
Hooked in 40% of your session.
When unhooked, hold the boom only with 3 fingers....or 2 fi gets plus thumb. This allows less pressure on your elbow tendons.
Don't rig big. About 1.5 meters smaller than windsurfing is about right.
I windfoil closer to 2-2.5 meters smaller than windsurfing.
At 160 lbs., I use 3.7 sails in 12-20 mph wind.
Mgoetz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I'm 195 and have been using a 7.5 Ezzy Lion for winds 10-15 and an Aerotech 6.2 for 12-20. Probably too large but I'm not good at pumping. Just got a Goya Airbolt 155 so have sort of had to adapt my style to the metrics of this board.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Common saying for windfoil learning....."if you can plane and foil without pumping, you rigged too big".
In 10-20, I can foil with a 5.3 down to 3.7. Depends if there are more gusts or longer lulls, which sail I choose.
10-20, windsurfing, would be 7.0 and 110 liters for me.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't shorten and don't unhook, focus on fixing your stance.

Definitely work on pumping.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I foil, my harness lines are about 3 inches shorter than when I windsurf, using the same sail and boom. The boom is about an inch or two higher while foiling. So, definitely try shortening the lines.

For your elbow tendonitis, have you tried the Thera-Band Flexbar? It worked wonders for me within a few days. It may not work for everyone, but a few other windsurfers have also had great success with it. Costs about $15 on Amazon. My original report is at https://boardsurfr.blogspot.com/2010/05/no-more-tennis-elbow.html
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epicondylitis is nothing to dismiss casually. Although it may start with mere reversible inflammation, it often progresses to physical changes (pathology) on its way to permanent structural damage. That's why "they" replaced the term "tendonitis" (inflammation) with "tendinopathy" (damage).

I fought it for years of LOTS of windsurfing in extremely gusty and strong winds before getting it under control by modifying and alternating my grip frequently (as in every couple of minutes), making certain my harness lines are within millimeters of perfectly balanced, learning to do my best wave-sailing imitation and swell-riding hooked in, and REFUSING TO SLOG.

My local soft-tissue expert tells me one elbow tendon is but one fall-onto-a-hard-surface-with-hands-outstretched from not just snapping but shattering into countless unrepairable pieces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: